The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any api 500 series compressor modules? 500 Series Preamps
Old 25th August 2007
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Any api 500 series compressor modules?

api rack- all i see r preamps and a few eq's. Are there any compressors made in api 500 format? (other than buzz)
Old 25th August 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
artbeat77's Avatar
 

FIRST!!! (it just somehow felt appropriate).

API 525 Discrete Compressor, Re-Issue
Old 25th August 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Wes Kuhnley's Avatar
 

Buzz Audio makes two differant (one FET, the other Opto) 500 series comps. I'm in the middle of prototyping one for release (hopefully) in the next few months, and various other companies are rumored to have compressors in development. The companies I can remember off the top of my head include OSA, Daking (Plus?), and Vintage Sound (??). 500 series is really blowing up...hopefully I can get mine box ready before it cools off!
Old 25th August 2007
  #4
Gear Maniac
 

wanna jump in but waiting for more selection
Old 25th August 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 
stevetgn's Avatar
I think OSA are releasing a 500 series comp soon. Their expertise is in mic pres though so I've no idea what it will be like?
Old 25th August 2007
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbeat77 View Post
FIRST!!! (it just somehow felt appropriate).

API 525 Discrete Compressor, Re-Issue
Nice!!
Old 25th August 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
goldenlotus's Avatar
 

I'd love to see more fet compressors.
Old 25th August 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
stevetgn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlotus View Post
I'd love to see more fet compressors.
yeah, aggresive FETs rule! The 1176 is still king though and I can't see UA managing to fit one of those in a 500 series format.
Old 25th August 2007
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Wes Kuhnley's Avatar
 

excepting the iron, their ain't a whole lot to an 1176. Should fit easily into a 500 series format. Even with carefully chosen iron it should all fit fine.
Old 25th August 2007
  #10
Lives for gear
 
stevetgn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Kuhnley View Post
excepting the iron, their ain't a whole lot to an 1176. Should fit easily into a 500 series format. Even with carefully chosen iron it should all fit fine.
A nice double width 500 series 1176 then mmmm
Could be a power requirement issue though? 500 series is only 16v
Old 25th August 2007
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Wes Kuhnley's Avatar
 

Actually, a 500 series rack supplies +&- 16V...32V total. The 1176 "inspired" (it's got a couple twists to it) FET comp I'm working on uses different discreet op amps in the signal chain, and high quality op amps in the SC that operate off the available power supply rails. Power is not an issue. Also, if I do choose to go with an output transformer as opposed to electronically balanced, the iron will be roughly the size of an API 512C's output transformer, able to fit in one space.
Old 25th August 2007
  #12
Lives for gear
 
stevetgn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Kuhnley View Post
Actually, a 500 series rack supplies +&- 16V...32V total. The 1176 "inspired" (it's got a couple twists to it) FET comp I'm working on uses different discreet op amps in the signal chain, and high quality op amps in the SC that operate off the available power supply rails. Power is not an issue. Also, if I do choose to go with an output transformer as opposed to electronically balanced, the iron will be roughly the size of an API 512C's output transformer, able to fit in one space.
very cool. go with the output tranny, go with the output tranny
Old 25th August 2007
  #13
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Kuhnley View Post
Actually, a 500 series rack supplies +&- 16V...32V total. The 1176 "inspired" (it's got a couple twists to it) FET comp I'm working on uses different discreet op amps in the signal chain, and high quality op amps in the SC that operate off the available power supply rails. Power is not an issue. Also, if I do choose to go with an output transformer as opposed to electronically balanced, the iron will be roughly the size of an API 512C's output transformer, able to fit in one space.
Wes you got to have some iron it that baby
Old 25th August 2007
  #14
Lives for gear
 
stevetgn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
Wes you got to have some iron it that baby
Agreed
Old 26th August 2007
  #15
Gear Addict
 
ToneRanger's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Kuhnley View Post
Buzz Audio makes two differant (one FET, the other Opto) 500 series comps. I'm in the middle of prototyping one for release (hopefully) in the next few months, and various other companies are rumored to have compressors in development. The companies I can remember off the top of my head include OSA, Daking (Plus?), and Vintage Sound (??). 500 series is really blowing up...hopefully I can get mine box ready before it cools off!
Wes, tell us more, two slots, one slots, controls, what's up? Will this be a Great River unit, aren't you affiliated with GR in some way? Man, this sounds way cool!!

Man, it feels exciting to hear about more comp modules for the lunchbox. 1176 inspired comp sounds like a great idea.. Would be nice to know what's going on with the Purple Audio 500 series comp..
Old 26th August 2007
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Wes Kuhnley's Avatar
 

Yeah, I work for Dan...I do all the testing on the GR mic pres, and a bunch of other stuff around the shop. My FET comp will NOT be a GR product, Dan doesn't have any interest in making a 1176 style comp. I give him beer, he gives me a hand with the design process.

Regardless of output iron (or not as the case may be), there will be an input transformer. Still trying to decide what features to include, but there will likely be in/out, attack, release, and mix controls, in one form or another.
Old 26th August 2007
  #17
Gear Addict
 
ToneRanger's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Kuhnley View Post
Yeah, I work for Dan...I do all the testing on the GR mic pres, and a bunch of other stuff around the shop. My FET comp will NOT be a GR product, Dan doesn't have any interest in making a 1176 style comp. I give him beer, he gives me a hand with the design process.

Regardless of output iron (or not as the case may be), there will be an input transformer. Still trying to decide what features to include, but there will likely be in/out, attack, release, and mix controls, in one form or another.
Wes, thanks for the clarification!

Sounds very very cool indeed, the mix control/option is a great idea.. Keep us updated, I'm sure there's plenty of people dying to get this stuff!
Old 26th August 2007
  #18
Gear Addict
 
Old Cane's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Kuhnley View Post
500 series is really blowing up...hopefully I can get mine box ready before it cools off!
Wes, good info but you make me feel so old. I remember way back in the old days when blowing up was a bad thing.......and bad meant bad (opposite of good). heh
Old 27th August 2007
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Wes Kuhnley's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Cane View Post
Wes, good info but you make me feel so old. I remember way back in the old days when blowing up was a bad thing.......and bad meant bad (opposite of good). heh
Sorry...heh
Old 29th August 2007
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlotus View Post
I'd love to see more fet compressors.
Old 5th September 2007
  #21
Lives for gear
 
ProducerBoy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneRanger View Post
what's going on with the Purple Audio 500 series comp..
yes...this is what I've been waiting for, but it's been nothing but radio silence. Anyone heard anything? Hearsay and conjecture will suit me just fine!
Old 5th September 2007
  #22
Lives for gear
 
thenoiseflower's Avatar
 

said it on this foraum like 5 times, no one cares, but I will say it again.


there is a module in one of the moving pics on the purple website that DEFINETLY looks like a 500 series compressor. anyway, no acctual word on it tho.
Old 5th September 2007
  #23
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoiseflower View Post
said it on this foraum like 5 times, no one cares, but I will say it again.


there is a module in one of the moving pics on the purple website that DEFINETLY looks like a 500 series compressor. anyway, no acctual word on it tho.
i think most care i know i do!
just have not heard anything solid from them:(
Old 5th September 2007
  #24
Lives for gear
 
thenoiseflower's Avatar
 

no one cares was a bit of a stretch.
When i posted the photo myself, no one cared :P


Take a look on the site, its there, sitting next to a biz and an scope.
Old 5th September 2007
  #25
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoiseflower View Post
no one cares was a bit of a stretch.
When i posted the photo myself, no one cared :P


Take a look on the site, its there, sitting next to a biz and an scope.
got a link?
i just do not see it on their site.
Old 16th September 2007
  #26
Lives for gear
 
ProducerBoy's Avatar
 

I sifted (and zoomed) through the pics, but no luck.
Old 17th September 2007
  #27
Gear Addict
 
Fruition2k's Avatar
 

There's always the B&B/Aphex CX1, clean and solid sounding...some have a nice big Jensen output transformer too. At times I'm hitting mine at -12 db GR and has no artifacts or high end loss. Honestly a great little comp/gate if you can find them.
Old 17th September 2007
  #28
Lives for gear
 
goldenlotus's Avatar
 

Neve?

I know it would be highly unlikley because they already have their own module format, but anyone think we'll ever see a Neve 500 series module?
Old 17th September 2007
  #29
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruition2k View Post
There's always the B&B/Aphex CX1, clean and solid sounding...some have a nice big Jensen output transformer too. At times I'm hitting mine at -12 db GR and has no artifacts or high end loss. Honestly a great little comp/gate if you can find them.
I have two of these and I really like them. The only problem, I have never had any luck getting them to work in the rack while other stuff is in there. Kind of defeats the purpose. Do you know of some trick to get them to play nice? I've taped off every contact that isn't needed and still no go. I'm wondering now if a Jensen transformer on the output will cure it, since mine don't have them now.
Old 17th September 2007
  #30
Lives for gear
 
stevetgn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlotus View Post
I know it would be highly unlikley because they already have their own module format, but anyone think we'll ever see a Neve 500 series module?
Unfortunately no. I think Neve modules need 24v to run 500series is only 16v. Shame really, how cool would a 500 series 1073 be!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Mark Warren / So much gear, so little time
407
Allen Wrench / So much gear, so little time
17
FossilTooth / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2
6dyslexicelephnt / So much gear, so little time
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump