The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any api 500 series compressor modules? 500 Series Preamps
Old 17th September 2007
  #31
Lives for gear
 
goldenlotus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
Unfortunately no. I think Neve modules need 24v to run 500series is only 16v. Shame really, how cool would a 500 series 1073 be!
I was thinking a new/ redesigned Neve module specifcally made for the 500 series. Maybe based on the 1073 but not exactly the same which would mean it wouldn't necessarily have the same power requirements. Probably won't ever happen though. Maybe Avalon?
Old 17th September 2007
  #32
Lives for gear
 
stevetgn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlotus View Post
I was thinking a new/ redesigned Neve module specifcally made for the 500 series. Maybe based on the 1073 but not exactly the same which would mean it wouldn't necessarily have the same power requirements. Probably won't ever happen though. Maybe Avalon?
I would have thought that re-designing the power requirements of a Neve pre would mean that it wouldn't really be a Neve any more, so you're probably right in saying that it will never happen!

You want Neve (and who doesn't!) you sign up to their modules, their format and pay for it. AMS Neve probably consider themselves above 500 series, and if they do, is that's arrogant snobbery on their part or fact? FWIW I think 500series pres are wonderful. I've just got my first set of 512C and can't believe the difference they make. Would still kinda like a genuine 1073 to sit along side them though.
Old 17th September 2007
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Wes Kuhnley's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
Unfortunately no. I think Neve modules need 24v to run 500series is only 16v. Shame really, how cool would a 500 series 1073 be!
Ahem! MP-500NV anyone? Single ended supply and all...
Old 17th September 2007
  #34
Lives for gear
 
stevetgn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Kuhnley View Post
Ahem! MP-500NV anyone? Single ended supply and all...
Not sure what you're saying? Does the GR pull more voltage?
Old 18th September 2007
  #35
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

anyone looking for a neve sound should really look at the great river MP-500NV
http://www.greatriverelectronics.com/
Great River MP-500NV and Dan
this pre really delivers!
Old 18th September 2007
  #36
Lives for gear
 
Wes Kuhnley's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
Not sure what you're saying? Does the GR pull more voltage?
It uses a switching supply to take the +-16 and turn it into +24. 1073 style mic pre with proper power supply in a 500 series package.
Old 18th September 2007
  #37
Lives for gear
 

1176 in 500 form

seeing as Studio Electronics got two channels of 1176 style compression into a 1U chassis I can't imagine it would be too difficult to repackage into a 1 or 2 wide 500 series.
Old 18th September 2007
  #38
Lives for gear
 
stevetgn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
anyone looking for a neve sound should really look at the great river MP-500NV
Great River Electronics
Great River MP-500NV and Dan
this pre really delivers!
Pan, does the MP-500NV have that classic Neve fatness, warmth and airy top end that seems to work so well on vocals?
Old 18th September 2007
  #39
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
Pan, does the MP-500NV have that classic Neve fatness, warmth and airy top end that seems to work so well on vocals?
i think it does.

i would really suggest giving it a try.
i am sure if you did not like you could do a return, just go with a dealer you can work with
when i first plugged it in we did some vocals and the first thing i thought of was Neve.
in my review a made a statement
Quote:
I just could not help but think smooth*creamy*chocolate as I run a P-style G&L bass into a vintage Ampeg B-15, the big RE-20 and wow there it was - that sound! Okay enough with the drool
when i said wow there it was - that sound!, i was talk that Neve sound.
Old 18th September 2007
  #40
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

let me add when i got this in for review i really did not plan on it having a home hear because it takes up two slots, but after just a few takes and before the review was even really started, i called Dan and told him to ring it up cause it was staying here
Old 18th September 2007
  #41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapfreak View Post
seeing as Studio Electronics got two channels of 1176 style compression into a 1U chassis.
That's a great comp. Definitely one of the more underrated pieces around.
Old 18th September 2007
  #42
Lives for gear
 
stevetgn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
i think it does.

i would really suggest giving it a try.
i am sure if you did not like you could do a return, just go with a dealer you can work with
when i first plugged it in we did some vocals and the first thing i thought of was Neve.
in my review a made a statement

when i said wow there it was - that sound!, i was talk that Neve sound.
mmm interesting. I was looking at getting something like a Chandler LTD-1 or a BAE 1073 soon but that kinda makes you think! I'd need a new 500 series rack though. I've got a Buzz Potion on order and then that's my 10 slot rack full.
Old 18th September 2007
  #43
Lives for gear
 
stevetgn's Avatar
PS... I think we've got off topic here. Wasn't this a 500 series compressor thread
Old 18th September 2007
  #44
Lives for gear
 
Wes Kuhnley's Avatar
 

supposedly...I gotta get back to prototyping my FET comp...too many projects, too little time.
Old 18th September 2007
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Audio Hombre's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
PS... I think we've got off topic here. Wasn't this a 500 series compressor thread
yes it was, so what about this? C1R

EDIT: nevermind. the comp isn't 500 series my bad

too bad though. they make a 500 series pre, maybe one day they'll make a comp too
Old 19th September 2007
  #46
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Kuhnley View Post
supposedly...I gotta get back to prototyping my FET comp...too many projects, too little time.

I definitely want to hear more about this as it comes together.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Mark Warren / So much gear, so little time
407
Allen Wrench / So much gear, so little time
17
FossilTooth / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2
6dyslexicelephnt / So much gear, so little time
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump