The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pearlman TM-1 options Condenser Microphones
Old 24th August 2007
Pearlman TM-1 options

Hello, all --

I'm trying to understand the options and the differences among the transformer options and tube options in the Pearlman TM-1.

I understand the following options from Dave, and that any tube/transformer configuration is possible:

Transformer:
Tamura
Cinemag
other BV8 replica

Tube -- four socket choices:
EF14
EF12/13/15
American tubes 6AC7/6SJ7/5693
E804

My primary application will be vocals (jazz/pop/Klezmer -- no screamers) and I'll probably use it on acoustic guitar as well.

Of course every application is different and there's no "one size fits all". That said, how many of you have used various of these configurations and what would you say about them? And which, in any of your experience, influences the sound more, the transformer or the tube?

To seed the discussion, the only TM-1 samples I'm aware of (or that "search" helped me find) are James Lugo's samples What's your favorite vocal mic? -- Dave informs me that this is the EF-14/Cinemag combination.

Last edited by pianoman; 24th August 2007 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: adding additional info to seed the discussion
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for Jesus

I have the Cinemag and the EF14 tube

the mic sounds great on everything ive put it in front of and have only used the high roll off sw one time

i use it for everything from close micing acoustic instruments to room mics and its my favorite for vocals

I have two of Daves new TM-2 mics and those things are awesome ! i could make a record using just those 2 mics and be very happy

i want 2 more heh

Old 26th August 2007
So the only samples online I'm aware of and the only reply so far recommends EF14/Cinemag. I believe that Dave is producing more EF12 than anything else these days. Does anyone out there who's using something other than EF14/Cinemag have any thoughts they'd care to share?
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Addict

Well if you can wait I'm doing some tests today with my TM-1 (Neumann K-47 cap', EF15 tube and Tamura trans) alongside a new Pearlman mic which uses the 67 cap' and EF95 tube.

I hope to be going through it all today if my singer turns up - late night last night!! - and is in good shape.

Just for reference I'll throw up a couple of others for fun.

GM
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsqd View Post
Well if you can wait I'm doing some tests today with my TM-1 (Neumann K-47 cap', EF15 tube and Tamura trans) alongside a new Pearlman mic which uses the 67 cap' and EF95 tube.

I hope to be going through it all today if my singer turns up - late night last night!! - and is in good shape.

Just for reference I'll throw up a couple of others for fun.

GM
Thanks! I'd be really interested as well. Much appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Using a EF13 and it sounds fantastic...sorry to say I havn't compared it to anything else tube-wise so can't advise on the difference!
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

I would just talk to Dave, tell him what kind of voicing you are looking for, and leave it up to him. I had a really hard time finding a mic that worked on my voice, and told him what I was looking for. (I think I ended up with a mullard ef-84, though I'm almost certainly wrong) either way it sounds absolutely perfect on my voice, and just so happens to sound great on pretty much anyone else as well.

And the cinemag is supposed to be more hypey than the tamura. I thought about swaping my cinemag out for a while, but lost interest.
Old 10th May 2010
Gear Head

I'm going to bUmP, cause I thought the Hypey description left me with a few questions. All of them essentially asking the same thing, lots of colouration? Too much perhaps? There's a TM-1 on my local Craigslist, here's the details:

This microphone features a Peluso K47 style capsule, an American 5693 tube, and a Tamura output transformer.

I have a AT4050, any ideas how it'll compare? ?!?

Thanks!
Old 10th May 2010
Gear Nut

Pearlman TM1?

It's hard to give a description, but they are nice sounding mics. Are they a U47, no. But, they are what they are at their price point. It's best to bring your mic over to the seller, and do a head to head test if possible. If you at least like what you hear, then it is possible to upgrade the components later. You could change the capsule, and transformer when you really want to sink some dough into it. My guess is versus an AT mic it will shine, ...maybe. I really liked it on it's own, but when I compared it to a Gefell UM92.1, it didn't do so well. However, the Gefell is twice the price of the Pearlman. You'd hope it was better. The one I compared it to, did have a Telefunken tube, Beezneez capsule, and a Cinemag transformer. Pearlman will certainly do any upgrades you ask for, and he's a really great guy to talk to, also.

Arthur
Old 11th May 2010
Gear Nut

Do they offer tube/transformer options for the lesser priced TM-2 model?
Old 11th May 2010
Gear Nut

It's best to contact Dave directly. He can do the work for you, or can surely make suggestions as to what will work. Since he doesn't use surface mount technology like Neumann and AKG, his mics can be worked on and upgraded, like the old days, as in the U47, M49, C12, etc.

Good luck

Pearlman Microphones - TM - 1
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

I purchased the TM-1 with the American tube and the cinemag. It sounds great and beat out my Ak47, C414BULS(awesome 90's mic), & my Soundelux 195. Ask Dave, he is a great guy to talk to and will give you some great advice.
Old 31st July 2010
Gear Maniac

my tm-1 tube story

i own a tm-1 with an ef-14 and, i think, the cinemag transformer. i bought it pretty early on in the game....i love it. it started making noise and crapping out. i brought it to dave and he replaced the tube...took him a while to find what we thought was a suitable one...they're old and they all sound different. anyway i got it home and it sounded crummy to me. dull, no sparkle. just on a whim i put back in the old tube. and the magic was back....and oddly the problem was gone...the tube just needed to be reseated i guess. i didnt bother dave with it, figured i'd just keep the other tube in case of emergency. but it made me realize how tube dependent this version of the mic is....for this reason, i'd try harder to like a version of the mic that uses a more common tube....
Old 31st July 2010
AB3
Lives for gear

Dave made me two with ef86 tubes and they were awesome.

The ef86 is also used in the Neumann U67.

And you can get a real low noise version of it: Telefunken Ef806s. (great for instruments/choir)

However, for smooth vocals, I would recommend a Mullard ef86.

And ef86 tubes are easy to find. (not the tele ef806s however)

I had tried two different transformers and capsules and honestly, I could not figure out which I liked more.
Old 25th August 2010
Here for the gear

Does Pearlman Tm 1

Does the pearlman tm1 have omni and figure eight polar patterns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
I have the Cinemag and the EF14 tube

the mic sounds great on everything ive put it in front of and have only used the high roll off sw one time

i use it for everything from close micing acoustic instruments to room mics and its my favorite for vocals

I have two of Daves new TM-2 mics and those things are awesome ! i could make a record using just those 2 mics and be very happy

i want 2 more heh

Old 26th August 2010
Lives for gear

I would reccomend the Ef13 with the cinemag 2461nico and the K47 style capsule (the capsule is amazing if i must say so myself lol). This will give you a more rounded and tone with a beautiful top end.

cheers...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search