The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DAV for rock? DAW Software
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

DAV for rock?

i did use search a lot, but never really got any good answers. So is there anyone who is actually using DAV for rock music? I know David Gilmour had 48 channels in the world tour with him...

Last edited by Tom Hakala; 24th August 2007 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I do. I use it on guitars, and would use it on Mick Mars. I use it on bass to make it sit on my face. I use it on the voice because I ain't got no choice. I use it on the drum because I ain't no bum.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Nut

What in particular did you want to know? I use it for everything, and rock is what i mostly do.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm curious about this myself. I want to upgrade my pre's but have no cash, I expect to use it for among other things....rock, my searches have suggested that it is optimal for acoustic music and some of the other sluts have suggested it is isn't in the same league as an api or neve for rock....I have a u87 and am sure it would smoke my tla 5051 which tends towards a smallish sound I read jackrabbits previous posts regarding using it for rock and got the impression that for the money it's probably the best pre around though one might be able to get a neve clone for not much more money but it probably wouldn't be as versatile plus you get two channels with the dav but obviously no comp or eq?
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

DAV got fat low mids, but they are very dark. They havent got this 3d or this realistic response than many other high end pres and they are sounding kind of flat...
Sorry to say this, i really whished it was differernt....
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Dutchman View Post
DAV got fat low mids, but they are very dark. They havent got this 3d or this realistic response than many other high end pres and they are sounding kind of flat...
Sorry to say this, i really whished it was differernt....
I've never heard my own unit sound like anything described here . But you dont have to take anyones word for it - there are a plethora of comparison clips on this very website, where you can actually hear it 'side by side' with other professional pres...

But besides all that - it will take what you give it, make it a little bigger, and little bit "euphonic", and pass it down the chain. You wont be relying on this preamp to give you a "rock sound" - you will have this preamp doing a proffesional job of capturing the "rock sound" you have already formulated. It has its own thing happening, but it is not very coloured.

Hope that helps...
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbit View Post
I've never heard my own unit sound like anything described here . But you dont have to take anyones word for it - there are a plethora of comparison clips on this very website, where you can actually hear it 'side by side' with other professional pres...

But besides all that - it will take what you give it, make it a little bigger, and little bit "euphonic", and pass it down the chain. You wont be relying on this preamp to give you a "rock sound" - you will have this preamp doing a proffesional job of capturing the "rock sound" you have already formulated. It has its own thing happening, but it is not very coloured.

Hope that helps...
I had the DAVs here to test it. They are very good. Some "other professional" pres i tested here are really bad. Well advertised sxxx. I dont want to name the pres here...
but they are 3-4times the $ compared to DAV. If i had to choose preamp on a budget, the DAV would be my choice at the moment. But when i compare it to some other preamps i like, V76, J-Fet Forsell or the often underrated Manley Pres and APi for drums its still a different quality. I don´t care i f a preamp has more lower mids or a high end boost, Thats sth an eq can do later. The good preamps in my opinion deliever a seroius 3D tone, without harsh top end, the mids are not smeared, they are detailed and the lowend is not wishy wahsy. Than i need some faster and slower preamps. I dont care about colour this much.
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

"The DAV electronics Broadhurst Gardens No. 1 mic amp is the best mic amp in the world." (sm)
Old 17th September 2007
Gear Addict

Since I just bought a BG1U, can you help in my ignorance about who sm is?
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

You have good sense to purchase the BG1.

(sm) refers to the phrase, "service mark." I own the phrase and language that comes before the (sm) in the above post.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search