The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gefell vs Telefunken Condenser Microphones
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Head

Gefell vs Telefunken

Trying to decide between a Gefell UMT70S and Telefunken AK47...any thoughts?
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

tube vs solid state...
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkyer View Post
tube vs solid state...
What probably makes a bigger difference is transformerless (UMT70s) vs transformer (AK47), and even more importantly capsule (M7 in the UMT70s).

I've looked into both mic's, but this is purely hearsay, as I don't own either. I've heard the Gefell is good at picking up transients, probably due to the fact it's transformerless. Many have said that in spite of being transformerless, that it can still be beefy, likely due to the M7 capsule. I'm sure you've read good reports on the AK47, I don't recall any negative comments.

Hopefully Fletcher will respond to this thread, as I've read posts of his saying really positive things about both mic's.
Old 24th August 2007
member no 666

They're two excellent tools that sound quite a bit different... comparing them is like trying to compare a steam roller to a tractor... if you need to level asphalt then the steam roller is the better tool for the job... if you need to plow the "North 40" then it would probably be wise to use the tractor.

OK... maybe the difference isn't quite that radical but it's still pretty deep. You can use either of those mics damn near interchangably in similar applications... the determining factor will be your sense of aesthetic and the demands you have from the tools for the music at hand.

The only advise I could possibly give in this situation would be to try them both side by side for a few weeks and figure out which pleases your sense of aesthetic and which one to get next time you're looking for a new texture.

Best of luck with your search!

Peace.
Old 24th August 2007
In a nutshell, both are great mics. The Gefell has more top end though compared to the AK47, and the AK47 has more overall weight and coloration to the sound in comparison to the UMT70s. If I was looking for more vibe, I'd go for the AK47, if I was looking for more of a neutral sound I'd go for the Gefell. As a real world example, I'd use the AK-47 as a room mic for drums or guitar cab (or a Taylor acoustic to mellow it just a bit), and I'd be more likely to record a chamber quartet with the Gefell (or a dark Martin to give it a bit more lift in the top). Of course there are no rules, and you could swap these applications as they are both generally workhorses, but for the reasons of clearer comparison here on the forums these are just my observations.
Old 24th August 2007
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
The Gefell has more top end though compared to the AK47
I would argue that point.

The AK-47 mkII has a fair measure more "air" [as in information in the 10-12kHz sounding range] than the UM-70S... and the Gefell is a fair measure more forward in the mids bordering on upper mids than the Telefunken. I wouldn't call it "more" top end... but I would definitely call it a "different" top end character.

I also don't know if I would agree with the "vibey" comment as the Gefell definitely brings it's own mojo to the party [at least in my experience... as always, YMMV].

Peace.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear
I never used the Telefunken, but I can tell you that I feel the Gefell is great mic that I use quite a bit on different sources. I really like it on electric guitar, but that's me.

It does a real nice job, on vocals, certain percussion. You could make that mic work on most things.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
than the UM-70S...
You do know he's asking about the UMT70s, not the UM70s, correct (i.e., it's a typo)?
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

I would buy both. That will surely solve the problem.
Old 25th August 2007
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderM69 View Post
You do know he's asking about the UMT70s, not the UM70s, correct (i.e., it's a typo)?

Don't much care... they pretty much sound the same in cardioid and the multi-pattern capability of the UMT just puts it on the bonus plan [and frankly I could be wrong about those numbers as well... I often have a tough time keeping them straight. What I do know is that the one with the skinny body and the wider head is the one to which I'm referring... multi or single pattern].

Peace.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Maybe someone understanding the german language can help clear this up:
- the "T" stands for "transformatorlos", which translates as (you guessed it) "transformerless"
- the "U" stands for "umschaltbar", meaning "switchable" (polar patterns).

Still, this probably won't help the OP make an informed decision, sorry 'bout that
Old 25th August 2007

thanks for the translation, andy -

see, learn something new every day....

Old 25th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Don't much care... they pretty much sound the same in cardioid and the multi-pattern capability of the UMT just puts it on the bonus plan [and frankly I could be wrong about those numbers as well... I often have a tough time keeping them straight. What I do know is that the one with the skinny body and the wider head is the one to which I'm referring... multi or single pattern].

Peace.
Thanks Fletcher, and yes that's the UMT70s. The reason I ask is that some claim there's this vast difference between the UM70 (with transformer) and UMT70s. It always sounded like urban folklore to me, but wasn't sure. Your response makes more sense to me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search