The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Wyde Eye s/pdif cables...worth it? Audio Interfaces
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Head

Apogee Wyde Eye s/pdif cables...worth it?

I just ordered some new JBL monitors, and will be running digital to them... The store I purchased from only had Hosa s/pdif cables... The question is, will it be worth it for me to get the Apogee's? Is there really that much sound difference for the price?
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Think about what you're asking. Does a particular digital cable sound better? Digital. It's ones and zeros. It will either carry the signal or it won't.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Head

Well that point goes without asking... Clearly not what I'm asking, but perhaps you're trying to tell me the difference isn't noticeable enough...
Old 25th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelibby3 View Post
Is there really that much sound difference for the price?
Really, no.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm trying to tell you that there's no difference. The Apogee may be better shielded, but it doesn't make a difference unless your environment has some really nasty RF that leaks DC into the digital signal.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Head

Thanks... I was told that they have a more accurate sound because of what they're made of, etc... Had a hard time believing it, although they are more than twice the price of what I'm getting...perhaps paying for the name.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

The difference (if any) would most likely be in terms of errors- and if there was any degredation,you would hear it as clicks, pops, etc. I've only encountered these types of problems with optical, and wordclock. I wound up buying Apogee WC cables and they work fine. As for the optical problems, I took a different route and simply try to use AES whenever possible. But let me say, I use lots of Wyde Eye cable and think it's great. My recommendation would be to invest in top of the line cables only if the rest of your chain is up to par, or of course if money is not a problem. If you're serious about your sound and don't like to cut corners, I'd say get the Apogees.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Head

I think what I'm going to do is pick some up and test both sets of cables... I'll send the Hosa's back if I notice less noise with Apogee's... Thanks for the replies guys-
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Well, considering the D/A converters you will be using is whatever is built-in to the JBL speakers... how good of conversion do you think you will be getting out of these speakers? I would dare to say that the hosa cables would be fine, and would match the level of converter that you would be using. No need for "high-end" cables for that system really... Not trying to be negative, just being real with you.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

i own hosa and apogee cables, believe me or not, there´s a difference.

better shielding and better contacts. the hosa metal looks older, the apogee doesn´t. i´m no pro at english so don´t know another word for it, it´s no rust but some near to it.

you don´t "need" it, but there´s a difference for me.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Head

Yeah I would imagine for the price, Apogee is using better materials... In response to the converters in the JBL's...I wouldn't imagine them being "high-end", so I do plan to purchase a Benchmark DAC-1, or RME ADI-2... In either case, I think the Apogee's may be essential for those. I know my initial question was in the realm of common sense, using an example of: Monster cables vs. brand x... But since it is digital "1's and 0's", I thought there could be a chance of no noticeable difference...
Old 25th August 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

What Apogee are you using? Chances are the converters in the 4328's aren't as good as your Apogee if it has DA.

The cool thing about the 4328's is the auto room calibration... but I think the digital input limits their potential.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
What Apogee are you using? Chances are the converters in the 4328's aren't as good as your Apogee if it has DA.

The cool thing about the 4328's is the auto room calibration... but I think the digital input limits their potential.
We're talking about Apogee s/pdif cables...not an interface or converter Although you are right... the JBL's converters don't come close to Apogee DA...naturally.
Old 25th August 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
In response to the converters in the JBL's...I wouldn't imagine them being "high-end", so I do plan to purchase a Benchmark DAC-1, or RME ADI-2... In either case, I think the Apogee's may be essential for those.
I may be misunderstanding you, but I think you might be missing the fact that buying converters with better DA than the JBL's is kind of pointless. Whatever you send from the better converters to the JBL's will pass through the JBL's DA, thus degrading the signal. There would be no point in buying better DA for your monitors.
Old 25th August 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
We're talking about Apogee s/pdif cables...not an interface or converter Although you are right... the JBL's converters don't come close to Apogee DA...naturally.
I'm well aware of that. I'm not even talking cables because it looks like the cart is being put before the horse here. It won't matter what cables you use if your monitoring is downgraded at the last link in the listening chain.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
I may be misunderstanding you, but I think you might be missing the fact that buying converters with better DA than the JBL's is kind of pointless. Whatever you send from the better converters to the JBL's will pass through the JBL's DA, thus degrading the signal. There would be no point in buying better DA for your monitors.
Uhh...not if he goes into the monitors analog...?
Old 25th August 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicpope View Post
Uhh...not if he goes into the monitors analog...?
Ahh... didn't know they had analog in's as well!

I'll make a quiet exit now. heh
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Head

Exactly... When I decide on a nice converter, I'll be running analog into the JBL's... The main thing I've been debating in regards to all this, is whether to simply add a nice converter, keep my M-Audio Firewire 410, OR totally replace the interface with something that has quality converters in it. (i.e. Fireface 400/800, Apogee Ensemble, Metric Halo ULN-2) It's hard for me to know what the best route is going to be, AND if it's going to be a huge difference between these routes/alternatives... I produce electronic dance music, and it could be overkill going with an Ensemble-

That's a $2000 investment, whereas I could grab a RME ADI-2 converter alone...and be just as happy with my sound... Very hard to say.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm no expert on these monitors, but isn't the room correction digital? Would this mean that your signal path going in analog would hit an A/D, then the correction, then a D/A?
If that's the case then you should indeed be going in digital to save 2 unnecessary conversions.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Head

Yeah the Apogee has a patented technology that basically shines all the 1-0's
Just when you thought all digital cables sound the same, along come Apogee (the troublemakers they are) and deside to rewrite the laws of physics.

Dunno doubt you but i'm gonna complain to God over this.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Head

I did compare apogee and canare AES cable back then in 2003....in a Professional all digital studio used a Studer S950 ( so they had a all digital path) both tracking and mixing. There is a difference. But the difference is more obvious with the whole mixing, than with individual tracks.

In fact what funny was, when comparing individual tracks, the engineer was saying the apogee track seemed not as bright as the canare..... but i told him to try listening to the whole song when things all added up.... the music seemed thicker and warmer..

so here it is....
Old 26th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivateZoo View Post
I did compare apogee and canare AES cable back then in 2003....in a Professional all digital studio used a Studer S950 ( so they had a all digital path) both tracking and mixing. There is a difference. But the difference is more obvious with the whole mixing, than with individual tracks.

In fact what funny was, when comparing individual tracks, the engineer was saying the apogee track seemed not as bright as the canare..... but i told him to try listening to the whole song when things all added up.... the music seemed thicker and warmer..

so here it is....
Ok you've found the rare cables that alter the sound inside AES-frame, so it works like kind of DSP.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Head

lol i don't know what to make of this thread.

Back to the original question though ; are the cables worth it?

I've heard alot of good things about their build quality and robustness which for me is the only deciding factor in a digital cable IMO.
Old 26th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybud View Post
build quality and robustness which for me is the only deciding factor in a digital cable IMO.
And that's exactly correct. As the shielding etc goes into build quality.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
Think about what you're asking. Does a particular digital cable sound better? Digital. It's ones and zeros. It will either carry the signal or it won't.
Looks like quite a few had a bit more to say...
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

They can say it all day. Digital is ones and zeros. It's not the same as passing an analog signal, capacitance has no effect on the quality of the signal. The dynamics and frequency response are encoded in the binary code, they're not a factor of the "tonal qualities" of the cable. I'm just trying to tell you not to waste your money.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
They can say it all day. Digital is ones and zeros. It's not the same as passing an analog signal, capacitance has no effect on the quality of the signal. The dynamics and frequency response are encoded in the binary code, they're not a factor of the "tonal qualities" of the cable. I'm just trying to tell you not to waste your money.
I'm with you on that.
However it's not a waste of money if the cable is physically robust and lasts longer, but i think that is the ONLY reason to buy an "expensive" digital cable.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybud View Post
I'm with you on that.
However it's not a waste of money if the cable is physically robust and lasts longer, but i think that is the ONLY reason to buy an "expensive" digital cable.
Quality construction is definitely a consideration.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Head

I never used the wyde Eye but i have heard they are exceptionally well built.
Not really applicable for me though, i only tend to have analogs comming in and out.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah I would imagine for the price, Apogee is using better materials... In response to the converters in the JBL's...I wouldn't imagine them being "high-end", so I do plan to purchase a Benchmark DAC-1,
well, the problem with that is even the analog inputs go through the JBL's ADC (if we're talking 4300 series) anyway. Thats, right, an analog signal is converted to digital, then back to analog (inside the speaker,) and from what I can tell, it is not defeatable.

I think they do this for the RMC stuff.

So, from a purist standpoint, you'd be better keeping the signal digital, and using a good clock with your unit outputing the digital signal.

BTW, if you are using a 002R, mine has a very noisy s/pdif output. It is a 002R thing, not a cable thing.

Ftw, if you can't tell the difference between wide-eye and Hosa, the only thing you'll be buying with expensive cables is peace-o-mind.

food for thought-

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search