The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Wyde Eye s/pdif cables...worth it? Audio Interfaces
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

I've had wide eye apogee cables crap out on me in less than 3 years.....canare still going strong for less than half the price at twice the length!!
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Nut

appogee cable

<<<Originally Posted by lowfreq33
They can say it all day. Digital is ones and zeros. It's not the same as passing an analog signal, capacitance has no effect on the quality of the signal. The dynamics and frequency response are encoded in the binary code, they're not a factor of the "tonal qualities" of the cable. I'm just trying to tell you not to waste your money.>>>

Well.....while digi is just ones and zeros, cables can contribute to jitter, which forces more error correction, and that is without a doubt very audible. I don't have experience with the Hosa digi cables(although i've had some bad reliability issues with analog Hosa cables), i will speak highly of the Appoee cables both AES and SPIDF. I have many and have not had any problems for about 10 years.

Beware of weak links anywhere in your audio chain (analog or digital)

Stuart
Old 26th August 2007

Many Apogee cables in use here and very happy with them...must be over ten years.
Old 1st October 2007
Gear Addict

brand or price its not everything <------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivateZoo View Post
I did compare apogee and canare AES cable back then in 2003....in a Professional all digital studio used a Studer S950 ( so they had a all digital path) both tracking and mixing. There is a difference. But the difference is more obvious with the whole mixing, than with individual tracks.

In fact what funny was, when comparing individual tracks, the engineer was saying the apogee track seemed not as bright as the canare..... but i told him to try listening to the whole song when things all added up.... the music seemed thicker and warmer..

so here it is....
empirical audio has a verry interesting , reading about hi quality cables
White Papers
Bitmeister Digital Interconnect

there are other companies like gepco , belden, mogami, empirical audio, have inc. , canare , monster, rme alva
hosa vs. apogee its a verry limited comparison

AudioMixed at HAVE, Inc.

from my experience:: GOOD CABLES not Expensive Cables,
Good cables, make digital sound wider, less jitter, Bolder, Fuller, Brigter, up-front, less digital wordclock/bad shielding induced distortion, louder

i remeber when i was transfering a DAT from Tascam Da-30mk2--to--> Motu 2408mk2, and i grabbed the smallest&thin RCA cable i could get

the sound was so strange, so diferent,
i had to transfer again usign monster rca connectors and ofc hi-fi a/v cord poly star >>>
becouse original mosnter cable crapped it self, i changed the cable but keep the amazing great monster rca connectors

i was so amazed with the diference
but still i wasnt sattisfied with the results, becouse spdif RCA needs Bolder cable!!!

digital signal its more sentitive to bad quality cable,
becouse it travels twice the speed of sound:::
22050Hz for standar audio cable "2 rca cables for L and R",
44100Hz for digital signal "1 single cable for L & R" <---
the higher the frequency , the more sentitive

#1. more price does not equal better quality!!
#2. dont care about brand XYorZ, only care if the RCA cable its BOLD & heavy, the cable not the connectors, and heavy not from the plastic but the cooper inside, and if it has lots of tiny cooper fins instead of a chunky few, and if it has a good shielding, like some chocolats that are wrapped arround aluminium foilds

for example:::
belden 9907 its crap "used in BNC to BNC networks also WC"
but...
belden-m 8451 its verry good, verry good

or for example:
hosa standar quality optical cable its way more polished than panasonic consumer toslink

brand or price its not everything <------------
Old 1st October 2007
Gear Head

The Coax and Optical spdif cables from Monoprice.com are very high quality a at a good price.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search