The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Michael Jackson Vocals...Breathing? Dynamic Microphones
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Michael Jackson Vocals...Breathing?

OK...this is not a slam or meant as a joke or anything, but since Bruce S. has posted a few things recently regarding equipment used during Thriller and other sessions, it got me to thinking about ol' jacko. I'll get right to the point....we all know that it's muy importanto for a vocalist to be able to breath properly to sing well. How can he do it with all that bondo on his snout? There are pics online where you can barely even see enough room to stick a pencil up his nostrils....how can the man sing?

I wonder if he takes that contraption off while doing vocals? If not, the wind noise would have to be very loud during takes. Maybe that's why the SM7 works on him as it doesn't pick up all that stuff that a regular LDC does. Who knows. Maybe Bruce will chime in....or, better yet, maybe he'll stay clear of this one.

Again, I've seriously been wondering this for a week or so now, so I hope someone will have some info on this. I think MJ was a great talent, but what a wreck now.

later,

m
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

I actually think the emphasis on breathing for vocals comes more from the operatic style of singing. There are plenty of singers who sing from the chest, loud and lustily, and pump out lots of air, and breathing is everything.

But there are many pop styles of vocals that are all about mic technique, and actually move very little air (in comparison, obviously).

But I don't think that was your point, was it? Basically it was just a cheap shot - and a fckng ignorant one at that.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

There is more than one way to get air into your lungs.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear
Singing is about creating electricity in the solar plexus in the abdomen area.
And keeping a relaxed adams apple. And also being very relaxed.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

#1 - when Thriller was being recorded, MJ wasn't in the mess he is now.
#2 - do you really believe photoshopped pix on the net?
#3 - the man has the best surgeons money can buy - do you think they would harm his ability to breathe and sing?
Old 24th August 2007

ok. first of all, WHAT are we talking about?

mj 25 years ago? or now?

i'm TOTALLY confused...

it doesn't seem like you're responding to present-day reality, kiwi -

or am i wrong.

oh, and btw, the "best" surgeons f*ck sh&t up all the time -

sometimes, it doesn't matter HOW much money the client has -

and ESPECIALLY if the client is nuts, and has no idea what consequences can result

from non-standard surgeries - remember, this stuff WAS still new back then...

Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

On YouTube there are a cple of films made from MJ recording vocals (we are the world e.g.) Take a look and maybe it answers your Q.

Things people wonder about.....
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post

ok. first of all, WHAT are we talking about?

mj 25 years ago? or now?

As you mentioned Thriller I guess we re talking MJ 25 years ago.....arent we?

He aint done much singing lately that I ve heard of...
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
it doesn't seem like you're responding to present-day reality, kiwi -
I was responding to the present day reality of the original poster's disrespectful post.

I'm not a huge MJ fan, but I admire his talent and the talent of the production team behind him.

As for the real "reality" of MJ - who the hell knows except him? The media distorts everthing to make a squalid buck or two. I suspect he's a little more shrewd than he lets on, and milks the publicity for every drop. The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about. It all pays the bills.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

Michael Jackson in the studio lays down the blue print of what we should all aim for when in the studio. From his disciplined practice routines, in being prepared, in his politiness to those surrounding him, and of course to his incredible talents - tone, pitch, creativity, and control. So perhaps he had personal issues. Off the Wall, Thriller, Bad. Hot Damn.

You know, the older I get, the less fun I make of people. I used to make fun of one hit wonder bands. Now I would be happy to join their ranks It take incredible talent to get just one hit.

I'm rambling and your question was already answered, most was pre surgury.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

OK...sure there were a few shots I was taking at the present day MJ's nose situation, but come on, there's no denying it's odd. I realize he's incredibly talented, but incredibly disturbed as well. Believe me, if I was really making a personal attack on him, I could have gone a lot further with ease. My question about the breathing was pretty valid I thought. For anyone that's heard him even speak in recent years has no doubt heard that boxy sound that he has now because of the nose. It sounds like a person would sound if you pinch your nose shut. That has to have an effect on the vocals. That was my point about taking it off when he cuts vocals. I was 100% serious about that. Come on Kiwi, how can a question be posted about his nose without a jab or two? I really don't know why you're so mad about this? He might be a great guy in the studio, I don't know or care. My question was about the fake nose....multiple nose surgeries...whatever you want to call it and it's effect on his breathing and sound of his vocals.
I'll be honest, I haven't heard anything he's done in recent years...musically that is. I've only heard him in interviews, etc.

Later,

m
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetatkinsdiet View Post
I realize he's incredibly talented, but incredibly disturbed as well.

unless you have extensive personal experience and close interactions with him, you have absolutely no clue what he's like; and even then, your story of him would be just that, your story. right now, all you have are what he, his publicists and media machine, and the media itself feed you, and even *that* gets distorted thru your own filters.

i believe the response you're getting here is because your question seems disingenuous, more of a personal commentary on the man's choices and your inability to understand them rather than any actual inquiry regarding his ability to sing. the only way to know how his bone structure affects his singing is to hear him sing; everything else is idle speculation. as for understanding his choices, you're not him, you haven't lived his life. as such, your only options are compassion, indifference, or judgment.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 24th August 2007

i ASSUME it's clear to pretty much everyone under the sun,
that mj is one of the GREATEST performing artists of all time, period.

it's not like it's really up for that much debate,
and most people will not argue this point.

his energy, rhythm, feel and dynamics are CRAZY -
i think he MUST be from another planet - because this kind of phenomena
just does NOT come along EVER.

i remember having a SIMILAR kind of perception watching prince perform
solo with guitar at the apollo - that was ALSO insane - man alive.

these talents are precious few indeed.

as to the subject at hand, from everyting i can fathom about mj,
a lot of what is magic about his breathing comes from his pure channeled firey physical energy,
and his tremendous dynamic range and real natural musical ability / understanding.

imo, a person can LEARN quite a bit of this, especially if they start at a VERY early age,
and have RIGOROUS training (which is pretty much kown fact re: mj),
and then the rest of this is certainly natural physical ability and raw talent.

so, much of the question is how the individual GROWS and RESPONDS in their training.

mj certainly BLOSSOMED up to the height of his career.

it is disappointing we haven't heard anything from him in so long,
but his body of work is incredible, and undeniable.

Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

I can't stress enough that my original question, while riddled with humor...or my attempt...was a legit question. If we're going to sit around and discuss the various screens on microphones and small tweaks of rooms, diaphram tension, etc...then surely no one here will argue the fact that messing with your nose will effect vocals. Lots of folks have nose jobs. I'd imagine some help breathing and vocals but some might go awry. Sure, I don't know MJ personally, but you can't deny the massive amount of work he's had done. As I mentioned before, even his speaking voice sounds boxy and nasally...like someone's pinching his nose. My theory is that it's that piece he wears on the end. If he were to do a vocal track, he might take it off. It's really no big deal, I had just been thinking about it for a few days and thought I'd post it. Look, my 3 year old daughter complains about my singing...I'd love to have MJ's talent.

later,

m
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
unless you have extensive personal experience and close interactions with him, you have absolutely no clue what he's like; and even then, your story of him would be just that, your story. right now, all you have are what he, his publicists and media machine, and the media itself feed you, and even *that* gets distorted thru your own filters.

i believe the response you're getting here is because your question seems disingenuous, more of a personal commentary on the man's choices and your inability to understand them rather than any actual inquiry regarding his ability to sing. the only way to know how his bone structure affects his singing is to hear him sing; everything else is idle speculation. as for understanding his choices, you're not him, you haven't lived his life. as such, your only options are compassion, indifference, or judgment.

gregoire
del
ubk
That's kind of a weird rationale I think. That's like saying you don't know Hitler personally so you can't really be biased from all the history and news propaganda on him.. Not to compare Jacko to Hitler but it's undeniable Michael is a total nutcase. He mutilated his body to the point of grotesquery, has a problem with pedophila, dangles his baby off a balcony, etc.

I thought it was a valid question. Jacko altered his body, more importantly his nose/sinus, and this has to have affected his singing apparatus.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
That's kind of a weird rationale I think. That's like saying you don't know Hitler personally so you can't really be biased from all the history and news propaganda on him.. Not to compare Jacko to Hitler but it's undeniable Michael is a total nutcase. He mutilated his body to the point of grotesquery, has a problem with pedophila, dangles his baby off a balcony, etc.

I thought it was a valid question. Jacko altered his body, more importantly his nose/sinus, and this has to have affected his singing apparatus.
I am so tired of the "you got to be Politically correct BS." Where I live the kids in school have to say...criss cross apple sauce instead of Indian style.

Now I can understand being kind and not making ignorant statements but honestly when you look at MJ, damn he made a mess out of himself. Probably a pretty nice guy, it just seems like he is a wreck on the inside...Just like most of us

Lennon said it best "you cant hide when your crippled inside"
Old 24th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricfoxx View Post
it just seems like he is a wreck on the inside...Just like most of us
tru dat, son.

there but for the grace......

Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Whatever happened to not guilty until proven otherwise? Michael Jackson isn't convicted for pedophilia. People make the most insane claims about him and EVEN IF some of the crazy stuff about him is true, there must be so much lies about him also. The tabloids are horrible... I wish people focused more on his great music than gossip. No man deserves all those accusations, because I bet no man could be guilty of them all.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
Whatever happened to not guilty until proven otherwise? Michael Jackson isn't convicted for pedophilia. People make the most insane claims about him and EVEN IF some of the crazy stuff about him is true, there must be so much lies about him also. The tabloids are horrible... I wish people focused more on his great music than gossip. No man deserves all those accusations, because I bet no man could be guilty of them all.

True. But where there is smoke there is usually fire and the guy even admits he likes to sleep with children in his bed (think that's normal?). Who knows, but jacko has been accused of this quite a few times. Being rich has its benefits is all I can say. Everything can be bought.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
Tabloids? Did you see the Martin Brashir special? No accusations there....he's nuts. Again, I don't want to turn this into an attack/defense of him as a person. I realize the media/tabloids fabricate stories. Unfortunately, in his case, there's not much manipulation. He does a majority of these things in broad daylight with video cameras rolling tape. Back to the Brashir interview...the thing about that that's so alarming is that he did all this willingly. In otherwords, he thinks his actions are normal. He did that in the middle of his molestation trials to show how "normal" he was. At least that was his plan. Seriously...all of this has nothing to do with the original questions about his botched plastic surgery and how that might effect his studio performances.

Since I started this, I feel like I have to add a disclaimer with every post. I'm not going after him, it's just that I was honestly wondering about how that nose might affect his studio vocals. It's fine to all joke about someone else like Keith Richards and his silly behaviour, but MJ is off limits? I don't get that. Not one post has said anything less than the guy's got talent and one of the most incredible performers we'll probably see in our lifetimes.

later,

m
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

Sing one long note from your diaphragm and hold your nose, does it make a difference? Possibly, lots of things effect your voice, even your confidence and subtle little physical things. Most singers would never consider a nose job because it has to affect the voice, I think it was Streisand who talked about this years ago.

I've been in this business long enough to know it's best not to meet artists whom you admire.

Don't take the harsh replies personally, this is Gearslutz and we debate things, it's all good.
Old 24th August 2007
Quote:
snip
messing with your nose will effect vocals.
Note: this should be affect. Otherwise, this is a pretty funny statement to me.
Ben
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I can't stress enough that my original question, while riddled with humor...or my attempt...was a legit question. If we're going to sit around and discuss the various screens on microphones and small tweaks of rooms, diaphram tension, etc...then surely no one here will argue the fact that messing with your nose will effect vocals. Lots of folks have nose jobs. I'd imagine some help breathing and vocals but some might go awry. Sure, I don't know MJ personally, but you can't deny the massive amount of work he's had done. As I mentioned before, even his speaking voice sounds boxy and nasally...like someone's pinching his nose. My theory is that it's that piece he wears on the end. If he were to do a vocal track, he might take it off. It's really no big deal, I had just been thinking about it for a few days and thought I'd post it. Look, my 3 year old daughter complains about my singing...I'd love to have MJ's talent.

later,

m

The nose itself is simply cartilage; if the sinus cavities were modified, _that_ would cause a problem.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

haha....well pointed out that I do use "effect" and "affect" like they're the same word. I really did try to slow down long enough to use the correct word here.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
True. But where there is smoke there is usually fire and the guy even admits he likes to sleep with children in his bed (think that's normal?).
Well, I sleep with two cats in my bed. Every night. So far nothing exciting has happened.

Martin
PS. One of them is in my avatar.

Can we get back to the music now, please?
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Kantola View Post
Well, I sleep with two cats in my bed. Every night. So far nothing exciting has happened.

Martin
PS. One of them is in my avatar.

Can we get back to the music now, please?
okay, I don't have a problem if you wanna sleep in the same bed with other people's kids. If you don't see anything wrong with then why not.

tutt
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict
Maybe the OP should try posting on the national enquirer website ..The question was obviously more about MJ then it was about worthwhile general information .... such as ..."I have a session with a singer that has a breathing problem,or a nose job , or whatever ...... bla,bla,bla ""
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Why is this such a taboo topic? I didn't think it was much of a secret that he's got something funny going on with his nose. My OQ was simply regarding the nose.....does it affect the way he cuts vocals now. Both in the areas of breathing and the actual sound of his voice. My analogies of pinching your nose shut while talking, as well as the evidence I've heard myself of him speaking on the 20/20 special made me wonder about all of this. It's hard to talk about him without bringing up all the other stuff in his life. I didn't bring up all of that though.
It is funny to the tone of some of the posts. Again, I did use humor....er I thought I did...originally and didn't think too much of it.

I still think they're vaild questions. The guy is obviously incredibly talented. But, he went overboard with the plastic surgery. I thought that the nose, or lack thereof, might affect his vocals now as opposed to the OTW through Bad period. I didn't ask anything about his other personal, but very public life.

Man, I was about to post a question about Keith Richards not being as good since he quit the junk, but forget it now..... ;-)
Later,

m
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Much respect. It would be a pleasure to work with such a talented guy.

J5 live
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
Much respect. It would be a pleasure to work with such a talented guy.

J5 live

Absolutely. Few of us ever have the opportunity to work with such talent. We should be so lucky to even grab the Starbucks on a session like Off The Wall or Thriller.

Also, that one clip of him singing the parts for We are the World are amazing. It's a shame that he's not still doing great music like that anymore. He's too mixed up in his own weird world.

m

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search