The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Michael Jackson Vocals...Breathing? Dynamic Microphones
Old 25th August 2007
  #31
Gear Guru
 
u b k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
That's like saying you don't know Hitler personally so you can't really be biased from all the history and news propaganda on him..

gentlemen, we have hitler... this thread is over!

seriously, though, you don't know hitler. you got a lot of his actions you can look at, but knowing what he was really like, what made him tick, what sensitivities he had, idiosyncracies, foibles, tastes... all you got is lure and mythology. even the mentally ill are more than just their illness.


gregoire
del
ubk
.
Old 25th August 2007
  #32
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
even the mentally ill are more than just their illness.
Now THAT is something worth quoting!
Old 25th August 2007
  #33
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
gentlemen, we have hitler... this thread is over!

seriously, though, you don't know hitler. you got a lot of his actions you can look at, but knowing what he was really like, what made him tick, what sensitivities he had, idiosyncracies, foibles, tastes... all you got is lure and mythology. even the mentally ill are more than just their illness.


gregoire
del
ubk
.
hehe I seriously don't get your point and I don't think you get mine. Are you a liberal relativist? So you think it's okay individuals are not responsible or accoutable for their actions because people don't "know" them? So we can't judge Hitler for example? THat's what it sounds like you are saying in Jackos case too.
Old 25th August 2007
  #34
Lives for gear
 

I see this thread hasn't got any better.

Quite apart from the obvious real talent - surely everyone knows that succeeding at pop is primarily about maintaining appearance and mystique.

Hollywood actors apply heavy cosmetics to their faces to project exactly the image they want to project. Pop stars are no different - and I would consider most public appearances of MJ are carefully staged performances - even the allegedly candid ones. Especially planned court appearances. I actually give him more credit for extremely clever manipulation of the media than most people give him.

And as for Hitler ... there is a school of thought (particulary amongst biblical scholars and astrologers) that our lives are largely predeterminded. In that school of thought, Hitler was predestined to do what History required him to do. Just like MJ was predestined to do what History required him to do. Just as you and I, like Spider Pig, are predestined to do whatever it is that we do ...

Are they accountable for their actions? Most certainly. But only in the actions over which they actually had real choice.

For the theologians who would debate this, I would say that if you insist that each individual has total free choice over their every action, that denies God the ability to predict and arrange circumstances. On the other hand, to argue that each individual has zero free choice, then his actions and future is pre-determined and has no responsibility for those actions.

I believe it's a mixture of both - free choice, within a pre-determined structure. For example - Paul at Mars Hill said to the philosophers at Athens that (God) "has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their pre-appointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings"

Just like Pharaoh, or Nebuchadnezar (both who played defining roles in defining the nation of Israel), Hitler didn't have any choice in many of the actions he took. The preappointed times and boundaries of the Jewish people were not Hitler's personal choice to make.

I'd like to see bible believer argue their way out of that one. (No need for the atheist response - it's a given that you don't believe in any of this stuff).
Old 25th August 2007
  #35
Lives for gear
 
chrispick's Avatar
 

You know what this thread needs? More pretentious pontificating.

Semiotics anyone? Nietzsche? String Theory?

Did you know that ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny?

Well duh!

I like how nostril talk turned into determinist metaphysics and the ethics of politico-revisionism. That was unexpected.

Here's a pretty emoticon...

Old 25th August 2007
  #36
Lives for gear
 

I understand why people that feel that way but believe it or not, I'd pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
Much respect. It would be a pleasure to work with such a talented guy.

J5 live
Old 25th August 2007
  #37
Lives for gear
 
ssaudio's Avatar
 

Leigh Francis does all MJs vocals now...
Old 25th August 2007
  #38
Lives for gear
 
colinmiller's Avatar
 

Someone let me know when it's safe to make a MJ joke again.
Old 25th August 2007
  #39
Lives for gear
 

Holy Smokes!

Can I retract everything about this thread? I really thought that there was no debating his wonky nose. The nose is obviously joke material, but my question was not. How do you think he records vocals now...on or off.

Had I known that so many would bring up his talent level (20 years ago), Hitler and all the other things that this thread has brought up I never would have posted it. I thought we could have a little fun while discussing this, but I guess someone needs to tell us when it's ok to lighten things up here a bit.

Should we start a sticky as to off limit topics? I'll start:

1. Any reference to MJ unless it's gushing over his enormous talent and calculated manipulation of the media.


later,

m
Old 26th August 2007
  #40
Lives for gear
 
ssaudio's Avatar
 

I thought he was too busy kiddie fiddling to record anything these days...
Old 26th August 2007
  #41
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
gentlemen, we have hitler... this thread is over!

seriously, though, you don't know hitler. you got a lot of his actions you can look at, but knowing what he was really like, what made him tick, what sensitivities he had, idiosyncracies, foibles, tastes... all you got is lure and mythology. even the mentally ill are more than just their illness.


gregoire
del
ubk
.
possibly the most sane and evolved thing i have read on these forums.
I'm with you UBK.
Old 26th August 2007
  #42
.

it only sounds "sane and evolved" to you, because it might be a new idea to you...
(that hilter had OTHER attributes to his personality).


the fact that MJ is totally crackers is NOT incomprehensible,

nor is it the end of the world.....


but in the end, who gives a rat's ass....


and yes, hitler was responsible for the deaths of millions of people,

including many in my family....


so while it may be "cool" to try to "understand" where he was coming from

(and smart, so we can try to avoid things like HOLOCAUSTS in the future -

don't worry, i've done my homework on the mthef*cker),


let's not go and start getting all lovey-dovey on brutual genocidal maniacs....


PLEASE....it's NOT cool.


ok, i GET it - so hitler may have had a SOFT side - who GIVES a f*ck......


i realize, of course, ubik, you're not advocating hitler values here,

i just had to say it, considering the responses it's starting to generate.


many people in my family DIED because of hitler.


this may be a JOKE, POLY SCI / HISTORY CLASS MATERIAL or DINNER CONVERSATION

for many, but it is NOT for me and my family..


sorry for the rant - but this is too close to home.


thank you, good night...heh


.
Old 26th August 2007
  #43
Lives for gear
 
chrispick's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
you got a lot of his actions you can look at.
Well, action is character. We are what we do. That's screenwriting 101.
Old 26th August 2007
  #44
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 

thanks Sqye. The voice of reason and sanity.
Old 26th August 2007
  #45
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispick View Post
Well, action is character. We are what we do. That's screenwriting 101.
It's also a specific school in philosophy, one that not all would agree on
Old 26th August 2007
  #46
.

well, action, schmaction....i think we can ALL agree hitler was an evil f&ck...

i'm sorry, there's just NOT ENOUGH ROOM for healthy skepticism, in his case.


now, back to mj's nose.....

..
Old 26th August 2007
  #47
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post
.

it only sounds "sane and evolved" to you, because it might be a new idea to you...
(that hilter had OTHER attributes to his personality).


the fact that MJ is totally crackers is NOT incomprehensible,

nor is it the end of the world.....


but in the end, who gives a rat's ass....


and yes, hitler was responsible for the deaths of millions of people,

including many in my family....


so while it may be "cool" to try to "understand" where he was coming from

(and smart, so we can try to avoid things like HOLOCAUSTS in the future -

don't worry, i've done my homework on the mthef*cker),


let's not go and start getting all lovey-dovey on brutual genocidal maniacs....


PLEASE....it's NOT cool.


ok, i GET it - so hitler may have had a SOFT side - who GIVES a f*ck......


i realize, of course, ubik, you're not advocating hitler values here,

i just had to say it, considering the responses it's starting to generate.


many people in my family DIED because of hitler.


this may be a JOKE, POLY SCI / HISTORY CLASS MATERIAL or DINNER CONVERSATION

for many, but it is NOT for me and my family..


sorry for the rant - but this is too close to home.


thank you, good night...heh



.
Im sorry if i offended you with my opinions, you have however taken it totally the wrong way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
even the mentally ill are more than just their illness.


gregoire
del
ubk
.
This was the part of UBK post i was agreeing with, i should have editited it first.
I'll happily take the stigma of being a liberalist if it means i can treat even the mentally ill with the respect they deserve and not the token amount of respect they generally receive.
Old 26th August 2007
  #48
Lives for gear
 
malaclypse's Avatar
dare i suggest, that the reason MJ hasn't recorded anything recently, is BECAUSE of his trick nose?
and here's the compulsory MJ compliment that is required for this thread:
"michael jackson is so great, he makes ghandi look like a child pornographer"
Old 26th August 2007
  #49
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaclypse View Post
dare i suggest, that the reason MJ hasn't recorded anything recently, is BECAUSE of his trick nose?
This was sort of what I was thinking a week ago when I posted this. I thought we might get into a discussion on the nose and his ability/or inability to record these days. Instead, everything in the world was brought up and the original question was just ignored.

later,

m
Old 26th August 2007
  #50
Gear Head
 

I heard a rumor last year that MJ was in fact working on a new album. Not heard anything recently though.
Old 26th August 2007
  #51
Gear Guru
 
u b k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
So you think it's okay individuals are not responsible or accoutable for their actions because people don't "know" them? So we can't judge Hitler for example? THat's what it sounds like you are saying in Jackos case too.

where is all of that coming from? simple: it's coming from your mind, not from me. e.g., not only did i not say "you can't judge", i said your options are "compassion, indifference, or judgment." everyone is free to choose as they wish, i just laid out the possibilities as i see them.

my point is simple, and singular: you don't know hitler. you don't know mj.

if you re-read my words, you will see that i never spoke of responsibility or accountability; i never spoke of the need to abdicate judgment and understand a 'softer side'; i never spoke of any of the things that people are attributing to me. all of which makes my point: even in direct dialog with me, people are taking my words, which are incredibly simple and to the point, and extrapolating things that just aren't there. those extrapolations are projections of the mind, the result of how it is filtering me. it then creates a story of the kind of person i am, using labels like 'liberal relativist', because it is compelled to figure out which box i belong in so it can drop me in there and either dismiss me (if it labels the box bad) or align with me (if it labels the box good).

despite an omnipresent reality, everyone interfaces with stories. hitler led a nation to violent acts of genocide: reality. hitler is concentrated evil: story. michael jackson had surgeries that make him unattractive to many people: reality. michael jackson is obviously deeply disturbed: story.

so close, and yet so far.


gregoire
del
ubk
.
Old 26th August 2007
  #52
.

that's all great, ubk.

unfortunately, life is also REAL...

not ONLY thought, rationale, hypothetics, perception and philosophy.

(i understand this is also one of YOUR points).


however, sometimes taking random points at face falue can be

irrelevent, foolish, destructive or dangerous.


.
Old 27th August 2007
  #53
Gear Guru
 
u b k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post
however, sometimes taking random points at face value can be irrelevent, foolish, destructive or dangerous.

completely agreed. i think our perspectives fuse pretty nicely: in order to accept (or reject) a point at face value, you have to see the point clearly.


gregoire
del
ubk
.
Old 27th August 2007
  #54
Lives for gear
 

For those of you who actually wonders about if Michael Jackson is still recording, he was supposed to do a comeback a while ago with Will I Am (or however he wants to spell it) as a producer. There's clips of it on youtube I think. I remember the reporter asked Michael why he stopped making music and Michael responded "I never did". I'd like to see him return, possibly the best performer I've had the chance to witness in my lifetime.
Old 27th August 2007
  #55
Gear Nut
 

I spent about two weeks doing vocals about 6 or 7 years ago.
The nose wasn't an issue. He was amazing...whatever his other **** is, the man was the "Tiger Woods" of recording vocals.
Old 9th August 2009
  #56
Here for the gear
 

Can the moderator please do the responsible thing and kick all the MJ Haters off this thread? Please delete their crap. Thanks.
Old 9th August 2009
  #57
Dan
Lives for gear
 
Dan's Avatar
 

SoCal Gal
A: Good job bumping an old thread. There's some good quotes in there, between the silliness.

B:Revising history is not "the responsible thing to do"
Old 9th August 2009
  #58
Gear Nut
 

High end?

What does this have to do with High End audio gear?
Old 9th August 2009
  #59
Gear Nut
 

I second that..
Old 9th August 2009
  #60
Gear Nut
 

leave michael alone!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
JohnnyTonk / So Much Gear, So Little Time
4
xl-sander / So Much Gear, So Little Time
7
Knox / So Much Gear, So Little Time
4

Forum Jump
Forum Jump