The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 5116 gates, compressors are they any good
Old 24th August 2007
Here for the gear

Neve 5116 gates, compressors are they any good

Hi there
Never thought I'd be posting on this forum, but due to a stroke of good fortune, misfortune, whatever way you look at it I've acquired a 32 channell 8 buss Neve 5116. It has been recapped and is in good condition

It will be installed in my studio next month and my question is to people familiar with this desk, are the compressors and gates any good?

Cheers
Stephen
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Upston View Post
Hi there
Never thought I'd be posting on this forum, but due to a stroke of good fortune, misfortune, whatever way you look at it I've acquired a 32 channell 8 buss Neve 5116. It has been recapped and is in good condition

It will be installed in my studio next month and my question is to people familiar with this desk, are the compressors and gates any good?

Cheers
Stephen
Hi

Good is very subjective, especially when someone compares something bearing the same name but produced 10 or more years before.

I think they are good, certainly not bad, but don't expect miracles and the second coming when you tweak the knobs!

Those desks were the first to introduce the quasi-balanced bussing at Neve and have noise and crosstalk figures substantially (almost 20dB) better than the unbalanced voltage summing of earlier consoles like the 80 series.

If there's one thing that makes me throw up, it's brokers calling them baby V's... they are, genealogically, the daddy to the V!

Old 25th August 2007
Here for the gear

Hi Geoff
Thanks for your reply. I believe this desk will be a major step up from what I have been using (series 600 Soundcraft)

But the proof in the pudding will be when it is installed and I can have hands on.

Checked out your web site after your reply, liked it alot.
Cheers
Stephen

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search