The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Looking for Stereo compressor...
Old 6th November 2002
Lives for gear

Looking for Stereo compressor...

OK..

Nearly all my beloved gear is gone... weep sob cry..

Im about to sell my soul to digi and get some form of PT?

Im still got me neves for front end and EQ....... all im lacking is some form of bitchin compression.

So im looking for a box that will do as many things as possible including:

Stereo bus
vocals
Accoustics
Overheads
Bass
Percussion..

anything and everything

contenders include:

Focusrite Blue 230.... Thrill... i know u got bite here!!!!!!! I got a line on a 2nd hand one i can afford.

STC-8 but its really pushing it..... cos over here they really are expensive

Shep 2264/33609 rippoff

2 x Focusrite ISA 220's with a digital AD/DA card

Maybe a pair of Dakings... very nice last time i heard them a few yrs ago

Not interested in:
Manley Variable MU... had one didnt give a big woody.
Distressors linked for stereo
Urie 1176/78... linking nightmare!

.. idea pls...

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 6th November 2002
Lives for gear

For dual or liked boxes I've got the Vari-Mu, API, Tube-Tech and Groove Tube CL1s, but my dbx 160SL is the real everyday work horse box for me including drum 2-buss or mix buss.
Old 6th November 2002
Lives for gear

Pls tell me more about the API comp?

Is this the 2500?

I can not find anyone with a detialed insight/opinon about this box!
Old 6th November 2002
Lives for gear

hey wiggy

check out a tubetech lca2b... fantastic for mashing up breaks but also can do those polite jobs. or if you got money to burn, the 33609 is a bit tasty. I'm also down with Audiogaffs suggestion on the dbx
Old 6th November 2002
Lives for gear

sorry wiggy

also forgot, summit dcl200. (summit never seems to be mentioned on gearslutz.... does anyone else rate it? i also love the mpc100)
Old 6th November 2002
Lives for gear

Wiggy . . . so sorry to hear that you are going Pro Tools. Did you sell your wife and family before selling your gear? Sell the family cat . . . . anything but your gear.

btw . . Mike Harris (Harris Audio / a member here) is going to let me check out the API 2500. I, like you am looking forward to hearing it . . . I will let you know what I find. I have heard all kinds of things, but I want to hear and see for myself. I am a big API fan so I have hopes that it is better then what I have been reading.
Old 6th November 2002
member no 666

FWIW... some of my favorites for the applications you've outlined are:

Drawmer 1969
Alan Smart C-2
Pair of Crane Song LTD. "Trakkers"
Pendulum Audio ES-8 and often the OCL-2
API 2500 [when used along with a "C-2" **** get's pretty scary!!]
Avalon 2044 is often pretty cool, as is their 747

...and I'm sure a few others I've forgotten at the moment...

BTW, on the DCL-200... it's not the same unit as when Dave Hill [the original designer] was building them in what's now the Crane Song LTD. factory in Superior, WI... I don't know if Summit changed something, or they're just not building them right... but it doesn't have anywhere near the 'depth' that the ones built in Wisconsin had... just my opinion... I could be wrong].
Old 6th November 2002
Lives for gear

Sorry to hear you selling your nice gear. Aren't you a neve slut anymore? What happened?

I'm sure you thought of the Smart C2 as Fletcher suggested. I think I got the tip from you (through a post somewhere on the net)

Best regards Jo

Ps. Pro Tools isn't the end of the world
Old 6th November 2002
Re: Looking for Stereo compressor...

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiggy Neve Slut
OK..

Nearly all my beloved gear is gone... weep sob cry..

Im about to sell my soul to digi and get some form of PT?

Im still got me neves for front end and EQ....... all im lacking is some form of bitchin compression.

So im looking for a box that will do as many things as possible including:

Stereo bus
vocals
Accoustics
Overheads
Bass
Percussion..

anything and everything

contenders include:

Focusrite Blue 230.... Thrill... i know u got bite here!!!!!!! I got a line on a 2nd hand one i can afford.

STC-8 but its really pushing it..... cos over here they really are expensive

Shep 2264/33609 rippoff

2 x Focusrite ISA 220's with a digital AD/DA card

Maybe a pair of Dakings... very nice last time i heard them a few yrs ago

Not interested in:
Manley Variable MU... had one didnt give a big woody.
Distressors linked for stereo
Urie 1176/78... linking nightmare!

.. idea pls...

PEACE
Wiggy
Hi Wigs,

My apologies for not answering your email(I never knew I could get email here. I know stupid me!!!).

I personally love the Blue 230. All I have to say, is if you like the Neve 33609(and if your name means anything, I am sure you do) or the old Focusrite 130 comp, then you will like it too.

My unit is a modified Blue 230(by Focusrite). Its a Blue 230 and a Red 3 all in one(when you flip the 16db switch it takes the transformer out of the input). The Blue 230 is a Red 3 with a transformer on the input and with repeatable settings(ratio). The transformer makes the compressor much beefier(like the 33609). I had mine specially modified because I had a Red 3 which I loved on the 2 buss for rock. I got rid of it a while back, but sometimes i missed that sound(I guess you can call it the TLA sound?). So I have the best of both worlds in one unit.

Now what does it work on?
1)Vocals(for sure. One of my favorites at mixdown).
2) Bass(great on both electric and synth bass).
3)Stereo acoustic/electric guitars(killer sound!!!).
4)stereo 2 buss mix(read above. The 230 also makes your mixes wider and bigger, which helps those PT mixes). I use it with very high thresholds and low ratios.

For drums, the Red mode is a little brighter,flashier and thinner(espcially for a drumsbmix).

As you can tell, I like this unit a lot and would never sell it!!!
Now again that is my opinion, there are some mastering engineers that use it and its mostly just to give the sound a slight coloration/vibe(the guys at Sterling here in NYC). The best thing is to hear it for yourself. As for the STC-8, well I've given my opinion in other posts(look in Jules Gear of the month forum). When I had one years ago, it just wasn't the unit for me at the time. I've used it since to great effect, but I am still not go buy one again soon(unless I got it for a rediculous price). Its an excellent transparent unit.

Hope this helps some.
Old 6th November 2002
Lives for gear

fletch

i've heard a similar line elsewhere but having never used an old stylee i couldn't comment but i still love the nu summits.

and yes, the c2 is dope! the only bitch on them is that the crush mode is only stereo.
Old 6th November 2002
Respect to 'the thrill factor' for his opinions on the Focusrite. I've never laid hands on one. I rarely hear anyone rave about anything focusrite however. Maybe I move in the wrong circles.
On the other hand I've never heard anybody say anything ill of the Api 2500.
It must be me....
Anyway, I seem to remember UK mag 'Sound On Sound' gave it a pretty good review. I think they smarted at the price however.
I can't think of anybody whose posted comments on the unit (on various forums) except maybe Fletcher, so I guess the juries still out. I love my 525 lunchbox compressors. Kind of grungey for a Stereo Buss though.
Wiggy, try mailing Funky Junk. I've found Mark to be straight up about his stock.
I've heard nothing but raves on all the Daking stuff. A friend is ecstatic with his MicPre's for instance.
I'd vote for the Smart C2 also. Good reports from sources I respect.
Vintagewise:
Helios seems to be flavour of the month these days. The Audio and Design F760 (as supplied on Helios consoles) is rumoured to be bitching.
I've seen the F760X - RS (stereo version I believe) for as little as £575 recently.
Lastly, I know Wiggy digs Calrec. I've seen the 1656 compressor around a few places. There is a pair (racked) going for £900 currently.
Old 6th November 2002
My tastes for 'over the top' quality/flexibility...

Pair of Crane Song Trakkers
Pendulum Audio ES-8 Vari-Mu
Old 6th November 2002
Lives for gear

Wiggy,
FWIW, here's my vote on what I have:

33609- love it but not on everything. Not really into it on 2buss for most music I do, but for cleaner stuff, I'd go for the...

Red 3- way into it for drums and acoustic guitars, smooth on the 2 buss, takes away a little grit & smooths stuff out.

LCA2B- I agree with entropy that this box can sound good on a lot of things. It has a sound, make sure you like it. Personally my most all around box.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with. It's hard to find a do all box.
Old 6th November 2002
Gear Maniac

hmmm.....The Chandler EMI compressor will defenetly smack the hack out of everything.

or

T.R.A.K.K.E.R
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for Stereo compressor...-emi_limiter.jpg  
Old 7th November 2002
Han
Lives for gear

Once upon a time there was this guy with a nice tagline:

"Two inch 'till I die"

I think he died tut heh
Old 7th November 2002
Lives for gear

Thank you eveyone...

Thrill.... u got me juices going more than when i drive past a KFC and smell them sweet, fatty, secret 11 herbs and spices...

there is a mastering house in town with one... One of 2 in OZ..grudge. I will compile a DAT with individual tracks on it to have a fiddle with....but its seems to be leading the pack at the moment.

The Al Smart C2 'sound' is VERY me.... but i think i am looking fro something with a bit more colour.. cos i is a 'colour' sorta person. But like any self respecting 'slut' i will have them in my rack too... just not yet.

Fletcher.. pls explain?. I love the 'C2' into Avalon 747 combo its the ****... is this the violent version of that combo... like for ROCK type dates im thinking and hearing in my mind LEVEL city and punch !!

Wiggy . . . so sorry to hear that you are going Pro Tools. Did you sell your wife and family before selling your gear? Sell the family cat . . . . anything but your gear.

No... i have finally come to the conclusion that i had WAY TOO much $$$$$ invested in gear that was not doing any more work.. so i went back to university.. ..... cos no one makes any money over here in OZ save but about 10 people who have gigs all yr round... sad state of affiars... at least i may one day be able to affrod a neve if i go back to IT and do the bull**** 9-5 gig.... i can still live in my fantasy land so long as Jules keeps this forum up!.. much like Dave Mc does!lol

HOWEVER i am still keeping a few slect bits of kit..... being a gearslut is like being a junkie... once a junkie allways a junkie!

I will kep everyone posted on the progress, becua i feel that it may be a comon question for people in the future who are looking for a comp to 'Do the lot'.... hmmmm

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 7th November 2002
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher:

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiggy Neve Slut :

Fletcher.. pls explain?. I love the 'C2' into Avalon 747 combo its the ****... is this the violent version of that combo... like for ROCK type dates im thinking and hearing in my mind LEVEL city and punch !!
Leveling to say the least, but with a clarity and agression that just seems to draw the listener into the product... there is also something going on with the high end that is a most compelling sound. I don't really have the powers of description to describe it... but it's scary good...
Old 7th November 2002
Gear Head

For the applications you've mentioned, the Sebatron veqc-2000 could also do the job. I wrote Sebatron a small article recently on the veqc's performance ... see this link: http://www.sebatron.com/sebatron/waynegardner.html

These are hand made units from Melbourne Australia!

All the best mate,
Wayne Gardner
Producer/ Engineer
Forestville Sydney Australia
Ph 61 2 9975 6568
Mobile 0412 077748
Email: [email protected]
Internet: http://www.gtamusic.com
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

Once upon a time there was this guy with a nice tagline: '2" till i die..."

Yes Han... that was me... i mean give me a bitchin 2" deck ANY day over the 'tools' but i am coming out of my cave and into the harsh reality of digital sunlight..lol but sadly i rarely get to fire up a 2" these days.... However over Xmas i paln to do some stuff on an old ampex mm1200 just like my old baby!

Fletcher is u got me harder than 'Chinese Algebra and given me an erection to win the election'... Now i just need to get the SLACK ASS API importer to pull his finger out and actually start to service customers!!!!! and get one in!grudge grudge evileye

the Sebatron veqc-2000 could also do the job
Wayne i have known Sebatron for years now and his gear is Excellent for the $$$ and sounds great.. just there is a bit of a steep learning curve associated with is stuff cos he WAY OUT THERE!!!. Also last time i checked his comps very not very versatile fro what i am looking for. Also they are generally opto coupled which is somehting i am trying to get away from.. but i have not had a serious snigff on his gear for at least a year now so i may give him a buzz... but he's notoriously bad at returning calls!!

We have a Tube Sebtron custom DI @ studio and its the dogs balls for BASS...

Keep em coming...

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 8th November 2002
Gear Guru

The Drawmer 1969 works quite nicely for all the applications you've mentioned. I like it a lot as the second compressor in a vocal chain. It does nice things to bass. For a kind of vintage acoustic guitar it can be nice. It’s wonderful for 2-buss which was its first intended purpose. It also comes with two preamps and a DI. The preamps sound nice and I 've never used the DI. If they made one without the DI for less money I would have bought it.
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

The Drawmer 1969 works quite nicely for all the applications you've mentioned

Hmmm...

I beg to differ.. Dave Mc who hangs here has one... and it didnt give me much of a woody.. I must admit i didnt have long to play with it but hey..

Keep it coming..

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 8th November 2002
Han
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiggy Neve Slut
Once upon a time there was this guy with a nice tagline: '2" till i die..."

Yes Han... that was me... i mean give me a bitchin 2" deck ANY day over the 'tools' but i am coming out of my cave and into the harsh reality of digital sunlight..lol but sadly i rarely get to fire up a 2" these days.... However over Xmas i paln to do some stuff on an old ampex mm1200 just like my old baby!
Wiggy
Yeah brother, life is hard! But there's sunshine behind that cloud

I have Nuendo but hardly use it. Yesterday a band booked a week for recording on 2".
They had won a price in kind of a contest which was recording a couple of days in a digital studio.

They told me that have made them very unhappy, so they come in Januari .

Another band (metal) also booked a full week in Januari. They were in the studio for a visit a couple of weeks ago and they had brought two demo CD's which they had recorded elsewhere.
So we listened to that CD's and of course I only had comments about the songs, actually I said nothing about the sound.

Then they asked me to play something I have recorded on my 2" Otari and I played a CD which I did last year with a very good metal band. The were simply astonished!
I like that needless to say they insist in recording to 2"

Also a big band booked this week for a session in may.
I kind of specialize in analog recording and I see tons of studio's around with DAW based gear and they really have a hard time.

Many of them have stopped already, but there are many new starters coming, having a competition war together.

I do not compete with them, my rates are three times as high as theirs heh

So Wiggy, don't sell your baby yet, there still is a future for it!

Peace, Han
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

Anybody ever used the Oram Sonic Comp 2?

I know there's been this whole John Oram "Father of British EQ blah blah blah" thing going on (yes he is/no he isn't) but politics aside...

Is this thing any good? Is any of his stuff any good?

Was he the Father of Bri.... just joking

R.
Old 9th November 2002
Lives for gear

Hey, has anyone seen or heard this?

http://www.studioelectronics.com/ass...EADME_C2s.html
Old 11th November 2002
Lives for gear

Hey Wiggy,

Just got off the plane back from NZ a couple of hours ago.
Will go down in a while and see if the studio is still standing.:eek:

If you want to play more with the 1969 let me know, although they are over priced new here like a lot of stuff I think US$3,500 I got mine S/H for US$1,500 so was happy.
Hey man you do not like me fatso too he he ah well different people like diff things.

I like it would like a S2 or STC8 as well, but I am being good, bloody NZ trip probably cost that with money i lost from my IT job...... .

But hell nice to have time off and do nothing...

There really is not a lot of work for studios around melb. To many really. So I am trying not to buy stuff I am not making the money back, and will pay off my debt first unless something cheap like the 1969 comes my way.
My main money still comes from IT where I charge almost double the studio rate.. so I use the studio for Tax write off and one day hope to be able to do it full time...
Old 11th November 2002
Lives for gear

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ol' Betsey
[B]Anybody ever used the Oram Sonic Comp 2?

I know there's been this whole John Oram "Father of British EQ blah blah blah" thing going on (yes he is/no he isn't) but politics aside...

Is this thing any good? Is any of his stuff any good?

hey betsy

i'll probably upset a few here but i think his kit is rubbish! i've use the sonic comp, hi def eq and the octo eq and it was all cr*p! in my opinion he's ridden on the back of mr toft's name.... the build quality is cheap (the price tag ain't!) and sonically it's jus' boring.... for much the same money there are loads of better comps (amek 9098, drawmer 1960, the nu toft, tla c1 etc etc).
i'd rather buy a rnc1773 over a oram! don't do it!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search