The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need Analog desk with automation Consoles
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Nut

Need Analog desk with automation

and some descent to excellent pres-prefer to spend less then 50k!
Need to make a recommendation to a friend-what are some suggestions?
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sada10 View Post
There's a Neve 8128 on ebay right now that's in your price range. It qualifies on all counts.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
There's a Neve 8128 on ebay right now that's in your price range. It qualifies on all counts.
Thanks, I will check it out!

Any other suggestions?
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
TWO things,

1)8128, NOT a very desirable Neve desk and likely a technical science project
2) Buying a console off EBay? Please.

I'll PM you a list of two or three excellent choices that are not nightmare money-pits.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

im in the same boat as you dude.

My options as of now are:

Daking 1112-no automation from daking but can fit with flying faders... Not cheap to do though.

API 1608-not yet, though it will have future automation

Wunderbar-will have automation in the next year

Tonelux- I am getting more used to this idea. Automation on 16 or 32 channels... Then you are free to have more unautomated channels. I am starting to really like this
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Guru

YOu should be able to find a used Neotek Elte or Elan with aut for that money. Or maybe a Trident 80b or c.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHunter View Post
TWO things,

1)8128, NOT a very desirable Neve desk and likely a technical science project
2) Buying a console off EBay? Please.

I'll PM you a list of two or three excellent choices that are not nightmare money-pits.
You know, every broker and dealer I have ever spoken to has said that the 8128 is technical nightmare, yet everyone I know that has ever worked on one said it was a joy, and they had very little problems with it.

So.... since you are a dealer... I am sure you are a little jaded, and biased (nothing personal).

I will say that if you buy a large console directly from someone directly, you should definitely do the following:

1. Go SEE it, and hear it. Get an issues list.
2. Find someone to help you professionally de-commission, transport, and comission the console. It's a BIG task.
3. Expect to pay quite a bit of money for step 3.
4. Expect that upon re-assembly over the console after it's been transported to have some issues that need to be fixed beyond what was originally reported.
5. Investigate what cable lengths are available for the PSU's and be sure you have a good, cooled, room where they can live outside of your control room (they are noisy and loud).
6. Be sure you have the proper power in your studio to handle the needs of the console
7. Be sure the person you hire to help you with this knows his stuff. I can recommend someone if you like.

Hope this helps.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
YOu should be able to find a used Neotek Elte or Elan with aut for that money. Or maybe a Trident 80b or c.
What kind of money am I looking at for any one of the boards you listed ( new and used)?-are these desk high maintenence?

I am going to surf the net and see what kind of info. I can dig out.

My main priority is the automation, but I would love to have a board that has a warm Harrison 32 sound!
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

if you have up to $50k available, delivered & installed i wouldn't be looking at a $5000 neotek. pretty neutral sounding & supported sure, but there's others out there with better facilites & routing, not to mention TONE! mta 900 series are solid music desks, daking, harrison, amek media 51... refurbing an old desk could be another thing. get an mci & rebuild from scratch, build a hot rod! i really like uptown auto, more then ssl or the amek supertrue. maybe scour ebay until you find a deal on a desk with that installed. optifile which is clunky...no offline edits or anything and i think support is gone. those systems have gotta be at least 15 years old so good luck with parts.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear
First find out why automation. Automation cost some serious moola. If you need automation and you like the Daking, then I believe the tonelux faders can be put into the daking desk. This is definitely cheaper than flying faders.
Old 28th August 2007
Here for the gear

Harrison

Sada10,

I have a 36 channel Harrison Raven/MR4 console that i am selling. It's been completly recapped and rechipped and then i tore it down and have it stored. It sounds great.

If your interested I can fill you in on all the details.

jg
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Nut

I suggest a Neve 81 series. Sound great when properly maintained and within your budget.

Check 81series.com before buying one.

Quote:
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Of the 8108 and 8128, the 8128 is the more relaible, but is known for having switch issues. And of course when the routing matrix goes on the 81's, well, you're done-for.(Untill now apparently..??New part??)

They don't sound bad when they are working well, but you absolutely will need to have a tech nearby and access to parts.
The same could be said for the earlier Vs and 50-series desks, but I'd rather have one of those.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Nut

The routing problem is no longer a problem
There's a new cpu card and software available from 81 series. It's PC based and won't break. I got one myself and it runs better than the original. Now I can save routing settings in my computer's drive.

Quote:
Of the 8108 and 8128, the 8128 is the more relaible, but is known for having switch issues. And of course when the routing matrix goes on the 81's, well, you're done-for.(Untill now apparently..??New part??)

They don't sound bad when they are working well, but you absolutely will need to have a tech nearby and access to parts.
The same could be said for the earlier Vs and 50-series desks, but I'd rather have one of those.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

what about a Sony w/ the API style eqs? I remember using a couple over the years and really liking the sound.

you might contact Wes Dooley at AEA and see if they have any for sale.

Mark
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheranalogguy View Post
The routing problem is no longer a problem
There's a new cpu card and software available from 81 series. It's PC based and won't break. I got one myself and it runs better than the original. Now I can save routing settings in my computer's drive.

lol... figures. It was either my Mozart or an 8128 and I didn't do the Neve because everyone kept warning me off on the routing module. I do love the Mozart... but I wish I had gotten the Neve. If nothing else because every time I say Amek, people always go... oh yeah... the "Big"... that's a cute little console. Then I have to educate them about how Rupert worked for Amek and designed the mic pre and EQ on this console and "the big" was one of the few NON-large format production consoles Amek made, and the Mozart is a great sounding desk......and half the time they seem mildly impressed, and the other half they look at me like I am pulling their leg.

I know it's stupid... but being able to show pictures of your studio with a big console in the middle of that says "Neve" on it... still sells days since the average customer doesn't spend nearly as much time on gearslutz as we slutz do.... lol!!

Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Just a heads up... I have a 32 channel Daking 1112 for sale in the classifieds section.
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
every time I say Amek, people always go... oh yeah... the "Big"... that's a cute little console. Then I have to educate them about how Rupert worked for Amek and designed the mic pre and EQ on this console
Im pretty sure Mr Neve did not have anything to do with the Amek Big

Old 25th September 2007
Lives for Jesus

He also had nothing to do with the 8108, 8128

Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

They don't sound bad when they are working well
I kind of disagree with that. Considering the sonics of the desks that preceded the Neve 8128, they sound like crud. The EQ's are kind of dark and definitely aren't sweet by any measure. Pretty much every aspect of the console was a substantial drop off from the earlier 80 series. Also, putting the technical issues aside (which are substantial), the 8128's master section looks SOooooooooo cheap. It looks like a Mcdonalds cash register.
Old 25th September 2007
member no 666

While I agree that the "81" series was at best a nightmare and an abortion of audio... I have been exceptionally pleasantly surprised by the 8803 [or the 8801... I get the model numbers confused a lot] that AMS Neve just released... which is a redux of the "81" series EQ with "80" series looking knob caps just to further confuse. The equalizer when removed from that **** eatin' piece of garbage desk is really exceptionally lovely [much like the LogicFX G 383 is an amazing sounding pre and EQ when you get it out of an SSL desk!!].

I would personally avoid any "81" series desk like it caused testicular cancer... I would also avoid "Necam" like it too caused testicular cancer... but I'm a dealer so what would I know.

If I was you and you was me... I would go find myself something like an 80 Series Trident [or if you have or are a full time tech... a Trident "TSM"]... and a used Flying Faders or Uptown Automation system and get on with life... but that's probably just me which would have no baring on your world.

Peace.
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
Im pretty sure Mr Neve did not have anything to do with the Amek Big

You are correct. I was talking about my Mozart. It has 41 RN modules. The pre and EQ are fully designed by Rupert, and they sound amazing too. I was just saying that when I say "AMEK" people think "BIG" and often have never heard of jems like my Mozart, or even the 9098i!!

Everyone has heard of Neve though.... lol.
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
My main priority is the automation, but I would love to have a board that has a warm Harrison 32 sound!
fletcher was faster, i wanted to suggest the same thing: trident 80´s sound "warm". go find one, with uptown or whatever automation. the desk is rock solid, but in order to keep the automation running find yourself a good tech! at least my uptown automation needs regular maintenace...
Old 24th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
If I was you and you was me... I would go find myself something like an 80 Series Trident [or if you have or are a full time tech... a Trident "TSM"]... and a used Flying Faders or Uptown Automation system and get on with life... but that's probably just me which would have no baring on your world.

Peace.
I might be persuaded to sell my TSM for the right money.Mine is way beyond cool. All accopian power supplies, sealed pots for the good stuff(eq,pre, line etc),EQ faders were all replaced with those cool little tascam faders. lots of spare parts.
The whole console is working. Extra stuff that other tsm's don't have. for pics see my website.
I'd only sell if I join into a partnership with my buddy across town.
Old 24th October 2007
Lives for gear

I am pretty much a Neve junkie. However, I must agree 100% with "... would also avoid "Necam" like it too caused testicular cancer... " I would even say that is true of necam II. Even when Necam II came out most of the people at Neve would still suggest GML for automation.
Old 24th October 2007
Lives for gear

I think the 8128 is a pretty damn good board to mix on. Great EQs. It's not as nice as an 80 series Neve, but it also doesn't cost anywhere near the same price.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search