The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studer 189 Consoles: Just HOW modular? Equalisers (HW)
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Studer 189 Consoles: Just HOW modular?

Well, I am still trying to figure out what console will work best for me and am intrigued by the 189. I have a line on one that has 18 inputs, 4 subs, but no limiters. Would I be able to get a couple of limiter modules and slap them into the console fairly easily? Are the ones without limiters built in worth less? Anybody care to comment? Etc? Etc?
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundbarnfool View Post
Well, I am still trying to figure out what console will work best for me and am intrigued by the 189. I have a line on one that has 18 inputs, 4 subs, but no limiters. Would I be able to get a couple of limiter modules and slap them into the console fairly easily? Are the ones without limiters built in worth less? Anybody care to comment? Etc? Etc?

Are the ones without limiters built in worth less? <<<< I would say the same.
One thing is for sure you cannot go wrong with the 189s
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

bump
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

bump
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Maniac

the limiters are cool but certainly are not a deal breaker. i have a 189 - it's an 18x4. it has two stereo comps built in and while it is cool to have them in there, i find myself using my outboard comps way more often.

the sound of the 189 as a tracking and mixing platform is what you really benefit from. it's a beautiful sounding console.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I am not what you would call a huge fan of compression, but I am learning how to use it with subtlety i hope. I Currently have a pair of Daking FET IIs, a pair of modded LA-4s (w/5534 op amps), and a crazy coloured Fairchild/Cameron Labs thang (no, not a 660 or 670). My format is 8 track one inch (MCI JH110C). So I guess I should be good to go without the on board compression, right?

I am thinking about this 189 that is "good working condition" supposedly. I have no reason to believe that it has been abused. I have been told that the oscillator is not functioning. What other issues might I run into? Would I need to have it recapped, do you think? I know this is not possible to answer specifically, but generally, what should I be on the lookout for?

Thanks....
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Maniac

i think you have enough compressors to make great records.

the 189, if it has been taken care of properly, will serve you well. i think you'll be amazed at what it can do for you. for me, it automatically widened the sound field, it made my mixes gel much better, and it added some seriously focused low end to my mixes. similar to select calrec and ward beck desks, studer consoles are undervalued imo.

i mixed records on mine before it was recapped, and i'm now mixing records with it after it's been recapped and had an outboard power supply built. the sound hasn't really changed, i'm just hoping that it will be more reliable for me since the recap. if you can afford to, it is generally recommended.

my oscillator never worked either. the photo cell part broke off and there was no direct replacement. an oscillator, like a compressor, is not a deal breaker when it comes to buying a console. you buy a 189 for the class
A eq, all the transformers in the signal path, the nice routing and monitoring functions, and so on and so forth. besides, you can buy a good outbaord oscillator anywhere.

one suggestion, have a tech look the board over to make sure it has indeed been taken care of. good luck.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Maniac

one last thing. i just noticed that your located in nashville. steve smith lives there and he is supposedly "the studer guy" in north america. iv'e also heard that he has lots of parts. you might try contacting him. he could be helpful.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear
Built by elves with micro-manipulators

I recently was on-site at a customers' place and finished a little early. He brought me a couple of Studer 189 stereo compressor modules and described their problems.

The built-in problem is that the stereo module ought to have been made mono and spread out on the board. But, the elves and management decided that packed-tight and stereo was "the way" (obsolete/unrepairable, and the customer will re-buy in 5 years!). They stood most components on end to save space, and reduced trace and pad size to a bare minimum. Much of the construction is in layers, to torture anyone who might need to replace an *unobtainium* JFET or one of their very-fancy switches (which are also very good, tG). The input channels are only slightly less complex than the compressor cards.

If your Studer console works, enjoy it. I would not recommend buying a 189 to anyone. Early 1960's Langevin broadcast desks, and API 1604 are my favorites. Excellent, expensive, transformers everywhere, and Grrreat sounding.

Cheers.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus13 View Post
Much of the construction is in layers, to torture anyone who might need to replace an *unobtainium* JFET or one of their very-fancy switches (which are also very good, tG). The input channels are only slightly less complex than the compressor cards.
I do not know which mixer you are talking about, but the 189/089 it is not.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

my tech had no problems working on my 189 modules. everyone has there own opinion, i guess?
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

I don't think he is talking about the 189 either... From what I understand the modules pop right out, correct? Does anyone have a number for Steve Smith? And thanks for the reassurance on compressors, I think I have a pretty good arsenal there too. Now, does anyone know of a good place to actually get one of these in case the one I have in mind is a no go for some reason? and what would you expect to pay for one that is similarly appointed? Thanks for all the responses!
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

1/Empty the ashtray in the armrest.
2/Pop the armrest up.
3/Slide any modul right out.
Takes 10 seconds if your ashtray is already empty.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

But what if the ashtray is full?
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

The one I am looking at has a full ashtray.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

At the very top of the ashtray there is a "handle". Gently pull this towards you, at an slightly downward angle.
The Ashtray is now "open".

Now look inside the ashtray. If you can see only bare metal, your ashtray is "empty".
In the opposite situation, you now need to clean out whats inside the ashtray.

You can do this by utilizing a great new invention by someone called Ives W. McGaffey, I don't know if it's on the market yet. It's a hardware piece, no plug-in yet as i know of, but it is called a "Vacum Cleaner".
If you can't wait for this to hit the streets, you need to actually pull the whole ashtray out of the mixer. This is not for sissies, and it is not for amateurs either. As a matter of fact it is quite a lot harder than pulling the actual modules. So I sugest you get a qualified ashtray pulling tech to perform this for you. Well worth the money.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Do you know of a good ash tray tech in the Nashville area? I don't want to get burned.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Ofcourse,
Stilli Wuder at 555-239-68100
Just tell him Hidney Sarman told you to tell him to fix that over-engineered, under marketed piece of non-profit himself.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

mine is sans ashtray.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

If I get this one i will sell you mine...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search