The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Inward Connections Mixing Console DMC-1 Control Surfaces
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

Inward Connections Mixing Console DMC-1

Anybody have any experience with these?
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

If anybody could offer some advice on this bit of gear that would be a huge help...if they have it or after reading the specs...as I'm seriously considering buying it.

After a long listen to summing boxes both on Vintage King and various demos I've decided I'm sold and want one.

But I'd like a small high-end console too...I can't pull off a Neve but I want to retain high build quality as much as possible but don't want to spend more than 15K.

I'm running an Lynx Aurora and use a Duende and mix ITB but would like to split out stems and do various mixes through a high quality box...this looks to be it. It would more or less be the centerpiece of my studio.

My question to you dear Slutz is whether you think this box will greatly enhance the sonics of the above set up and really if it's worth it.

It has pan, level and a few routing options and of course it's of premium build....so I would retain the recall of my Duende's EQ but be able to mix levels and pans analogue.

Worth it? Better off channeling that cash to something else?

Thanks all
Old 23rd August 2007
Get a decent mixingconsole.

You are ready for the next level. Just go to a large pro audio dealer like were you saw this baby and try some consoles.

Muziekschuur
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

thanks Muziekschuur, that's just it...I've got a fair amount of cash but not enough for what I would call a "decent" console...what I term "decent" has got to be superb.

...the list is short that satifies that criteria and a 15K price tag.

Dream console? Totally transformerless.

Neotek's Elan II? Too clear.

Toft ATB? Not exactly high end.

Midas Venice? Not high end...and i just can't get into it for some reason.

Wunderbar? Perfect! Too much mula.

2nd hand Tridents, Neves, Studers? Too big and there's the high possibility of maintenance issues/headaches.

Tonelux? This is the only other option I can think would work...BUT...are the modules/transformers/sound as good as the Inward Connections? Will it impart the same umph factor? The Inward Connections stuff is ballsy.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

I don't know...maybe a bloody 962 or 189 is the way to go.

my brain is tired
Old 23rd August 2007
There are alot of Amek consoles for sale wich fit your pricetag and could match the sound you are looking for.

I know of a Philips 16 ch. tube mixer wich could fit your description.

I have a gutfeeling you just have to take your time to find the right console for you.

I have a D&R Dayner wich fit my bill wich was really inexpensive for what it is to me.

I see Yamaha PM4000's wich would be in your pricerange. Remember, colouration can be done with the right set of mic-pre's. The console is for mixing.

From your description I understand you would love an outboard mix. In that case you need 32 channels. You do.

How about a DDA Profile. This is a sought after rock console. Great for what you do i'd say. Well, just use some tube mic-pre's and you should be set.

at Electro Harmonix you can find tube EQ & TUBE pre's in little boxes wich will not brake the bank. Just buy two and see if they fit your bill. If ya don't like em, sell em again. Though I think you won't.

If you would post some key records you like and after wich sound you are after here, I am quite sure Gearslutz could help you to find your sound. I mean the sound you are after could be done with a 16 ch. Tascam console going into 8ch reel to reel recorder & some tube limiters & two key mic pre's.

Happy searching.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

hi muziekschuur, thanks for the input. I see your point about using the console to mix and the pre's to add color, that's definitely the case. A mixer with it's own signature sound can also be a powerful studio tool as you no doubt agree.

Thus if anyone does have this DMC-1 please chime in!

Much love!
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

p.s. I'll check out that Phillips, cheers!
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

I like my Manley 16 ch. line mixer which also has 16 nice mic pres. Used, probably around $5,000. It has a custom unity gain switch so easy to recall(but than I lose level control), I go either way depending on the project. Or get a Chandler(lots of color), or Neve(full recall), or SSL X-Rack(full recall). Then add a 500 series rack with API EQ's and an SSL X-Rack with a couple of EQ's and Comps for Vocals, Bass, Drum Stem. Recall would be nice and where I am thinking of going.

OR, save up money and get that new API 1608 when you can afford it!!
Old 23rd August 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyxis360 View Post

Dream console? Totally transformerless.

Neotek's Elan II? Too clear.

Toft ATB? Not exactly high end.

Midas Venice? Not high end...and i just can't get into it for some reason.

Wunderbar? Perfect! Too much mula.

It's funny that you state you want transformerless, but then want consoles with transformers. That's where much of the color, and cost comes from.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

I've got a modded one and really like it. Best in its class, by far.
ALL discrete: 8 discrete mic input, 4 tube mic input, 20 line inputs all with solo, mute and panning, master fader w/ insert, 3 track returns, 3 speaker selects, L/R Mute, TB, Headphone jack/amp, stereo aux input, nice stereo meters, and of course a BIG studio volume knob.
Clients really dig it too. I always get people asking "What year was tis thing made?" I posted some photos of mine on another thread titled something like "Top 10 sexiest consoles" or something like that here on GS.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

music friend, I just looked at your picture from the other thread...WOW!!!!!
I WANT ONE. Can he custom make one with a few busses?
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie View Post
Can he custom make one with a few busses?
That's what I was just thinking! So few of these little boutique mixers have aux sends or sub groups. I would probably be happy with 4 of each. I'm surprised so many users can live without these features.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Addict

Nah I definitely want transformers..the Dream console doesn't have any Dan

Music Friend, how do you use yours? Front end for PT? Back End? Really curious. I saw your modded one and it does look fantastic.

Thx for the input
Old 27th August 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

Oh, I thought you were refering to your dream console, not a Fairlight.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

As far as functionality, the console is very straightforward; I use mine as a front end to PT, and then as a summing mixer. No busses or auxes and only 20 inputs means you have to get creative/conservative, but I am certainly not complaining. I don't know if its even possible to cram much more funtion than this console has in this small of a footprint- no boutique mixer that I can think of anyways. I am not sure as to whether or not busses/auxes can be added or not, but I would guess no. The sound of this mixer is awesome.
Steve is actually working on a new console that will be the BIG brother to this one feature wise (price wise as well, I suspect) that will have many busses and auxes, eq and compressors on every channel, a tube side as well as a discrete SS side, the whole enchilada! That will be a console to behold! (Anybody who has ever seen or worked on Steve's first console at Danny White's 16 Ton Studios knows what I mean) I don't think it will be ready for some time. I also think he only has a limited number of these DMC consoles left.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

Hi Music Friend, thanks for your replies, very much appreciated. You seem to be the only one out there with the DMC-1!

As a front end I'm sure the pre's that come stock with the DMC-1 are fantastic...I'm really interested in how you find it in terms of mixing back end.

Do you just sum? Or do you mix levels and pans as well? If so, how would you describe the sound you can acheive mixing through the DMC-1?

I'm curious as to whether sound-wise I could just go with the Mix690 which utilises the same 690 Opamps and spend half the cash. I would lose level control, some monitoring functionality, solos, mutes, etc...so in your experience what do you get from the DMC-1 in terms of a mixer/back end so to speak? A usefullness factor as a mixer, etc.

Again, thanks for your input!!!!
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

the bumpy road of life
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Nut

On the Vintage King summing mixer shootout, the Inward sounded best to my ears.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

Dragomir it did to me too! I had my wife set up a number system so it was blind and I just went through the mixes over and over and that one...number 4 came up everytime. Number 4 was the Mix690.

It just sounded better, followed by the Neve. The snare so crisp and snappy, the cymbal detail was great, the vox floated up and over...it was by far the better sounding mix.

If they would just make it into a mixer, like the DMC-1 but without the pre's...I don't want mix on a rack!...forgetta bout it!
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

+3 on the Inward Summing box shootout..

To me it had a lot of detail and was smooth on the ears.

In order..

Inward
Neve
tonelux
Old 30th August 2007
Here for the gear

I originally wanted a Nicerizer. Due to long wait times and questionable quality control with Phoenix Audio I "settled" for a Mix690. I've never looked back.

My only other summing box experience was with a Folcrom, which I never used much because while it changed the sound it didn't (at least to my ears) improve the sound. Mixing through the Mix690, however, was a "wow" moment. That shootout doesn't lie.

I mix using a Mackie Control Universal. That way I still can mute, solo, adjust levels, etc with actual faders but it's also automated. Audio is then summed and panned through the Mix690. If you're primarily ITB now and don't need the preamps in the DMC-1, the Mix690 and a control unit may be the way to go.

Call Dave at Vintage King; I'm sure he'd be happy to send you a unit to test drive.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

Verbow, thanks for that. It's funny, I litereally just conceived of your set-up last night...the Mackie control but sum through the 690.

A test drive would be great, I'm not sure they can arrange that for London though.

I shall find out.

best
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Head

I have a DMC - 1 conole and love it . The pre's are great and the summing sounds thicker to me than my itb mixes. The monitor section is first class also. I love having an analog stereo fader with insert. I highly recommend it as an option.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

Hey Never, I was hoping you would chime in. As far as I can tell you and MusicFriend are the only chaps who have a DMC-1.

As you can prob. tell I'm VERY interested in this bit of gear and I'm interested in getting as much feedback as possilbe about it (naturally).

When you say it "thickens" the mix I've no doubt...but do your mixes have any "wow" factor when mixed DMC-1 versus ITB?

Any issues or niggles with it you don't like?

thanks in advance
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Head

I hear left/right, front/back imaging better thru the DMC. Things do seem to "pop" more to my ears. I've mixed itb for alot of years now and i'm so happy to be "out" again. I have found no issues with the console so far. It's built like a tank. It's a lot of cash and i know it's not for everyone, but for me it's the best purchase i've made in a long time. In fact i'm thinking about buying the 690 for another 16 in's.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search