The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bryston 4B, 4B-ST, 4B-SST. What is the differnce? Studio Amplifiers
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Bryston 4B, 4B-ST, 4B-SST. What is the differnce?

What is the difference between Bryston 4B, 4B-ST 4B-SST? Has anyone compared them directly using NS10? Which one sounds the best on the NS10? I was searching the net, and I can not find written explanation for the difference between them.
Thanks,
Mozart
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

They are from the earliest to the latest, starting with the 4B, 4BSST being the current and more refined.
The SST is the best regardless of speaker..
Old 11th July 2009
Gear Head

From what i've found only through research on the web is that the differences ( at least the ones you are probably mainly interested in) are the eq curves on the amps changing from model to model. I haven't actually had the pleasure of doing the test for myself and I'm currently shopping for a 4B-ST to power some ns-10's as we speak so I am too curious on the differences between models. Based on what i've read and talked to others about, the ST version is the best sounding when paired with the NS-10's b/c of the eq curve. Like I said before I havent' been able to hear the differences a/b'd myself but I have been told to stay away from the SST version paired with NS-10's b/c the updated eq curve isn't as "warm" sounding as the prior ST model. Any other information from others would be helpful though........Thanks
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

SST works just fine with NS10 ...
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

My question is why you need a 4BST on NS-10's?
3BST will drive the woofers across the room...
I would take a SST, I doubt if you will find one less than a ST..
The SST is lower distortion, lower noise, the best and latest...
Old 12th July 2009
Lives for gear

extremely happy with my 3B ST
I'm afraid to give it more than half output though, too much headroom with the 3B as it is
Old 13th July 2009
Gear Head

Only reason I've heard better things about the 4b st verses a 3b is that over powering NS-10's is the key to making them sound more useful. I've heard them powered with "nominal" power and i've heard them with 100-200 watts over their nominal power rating and the sound is much fatter and more punchy with them being over powered. I suppose this is all personal preference but from my own personal experience and opinions of other major label producers and engineers it seems overpowering them with a decent amount of power makes them perform better....
Old 13th July 2009
Lives for gear

that's all true, but regardless the 3B is still overpowering
I was tossing up between the two a little while ago, and couldn't find a single post where someone specifically says the 4B is better than the 3B

It's always been either 'i love my 3B' or 'i love my 4B'

which is why i went 3b
Old 5th September 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevansounds View Post
Only reason I've heard better things about the 4b st verses a 3b is that over powering NS-10's is the key to making them sound more useful. I've heard them powered with "nominal" power and i've heard them with 100-200 watts over their nominal power rating and the sound is much fatter and more punchy with them being over powered. I suppose this is all personal preference but from my own personal experience and opinions of other major label producers and engineers it seems overpowering them with a decent amount of power makes them perform better....
Lee I used the 4B and the sound of the ns10m studio were incredible...I am sure you are happy with the 3B ST also a great combination but until you try a 4b or 4b st you will never know........My guess is that you will move to 4b or 4b st..

Have experienced exactly what sevasounds says.....you need to overpower the ns10s to get the best out of them......
Old 1st December 2017
Lives for gear

For bryston in general anyone notice a difference between sst and sst2?
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkennaFuNkEn View Post
For bryston in general anyone notice a difference between sst and sst2?
Yup, people like squared more then the SST. The cubed is doing even better.
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom25 View Post
Yup, people like squared more then the SST. The cubed is doing even better.
The sst is already a lot smoother than the ST, I can’t even imagine what the gains will be. Care to decribe ?
Old 3rd December 2017

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search