The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focusrite isa preamps (the new ones) Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Focusrite isa preamps (the new ones)

Are they so good? Or just go with other preamps. I can see that they are affordable, let's say cheap if you look at the price per channel. But do they sound really good?
Tamas Dragon
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

I have the 428 prepack sold one set because I didn't need em. They are clean and versatile. They do not break up or get bigger when driven hard. I use mine for overheads, close micing hihats and ride. Not a thing wrong with them. If you get these get a preamp with some "fat" too. Like Neve 1272 clones say Vintech1272 my Favorite for guitars and vox.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

i tried the 430 mkII : not fat, no balls, no dirt, but unbelieveble clean and high's
(more hi than SSL and Cranesong)
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioTinPanAll View Post
i tried the 430 mkII : not fat, no balls, no dirt, but unbelieveble clean and high's
(more hi than SSL and Cranesong)
Adding to this. I have had much luck with them on any source that I want to bring out some air on. Cymbals. They do a hell of a job at bringing out the attack of the stick hitting drums. They also work pretty well on singers with powerful voices.

I will say and I don't know if anyone else has had this problem...but the 1/4 line and the instrument hi-z input are ridiculously noisy. unusable. The mic pres however, are not.

I used this unit a lot more before I got an Api and a couple neve pres.
Old 23rd August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
Are they so good? Or just go with other preamps. I can see that they are affordable, let's say cheap if you look at the price per channel. But do they sound really good?
Tamas Dragon
i really liked the 220 on vox once i added the a/d card.

attached is a recording i made with a 220 and a rode nt2 (original)
Attached Files

02 Hip Hop.mp3 (3.92 MB, 924 views)

Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

I got 2 Isa 220s but sold them. Why?

The 220s are very fast and clean. Great on Cymbals, but i dint like it on vocals and the most other things. The Vox never came into the mix as easy as with some other preamps... It hasnt got this clean 3D depth that some other great clean pre-amps offer. Its more flat and sterile than clean in the sense of realistically translating an instruments performance to a harddisc/tapemachine....

The Di is usefull, imao. Sting uses it on bass guitar. I also recorded an emocore album with this di on some clean guitars. Everbody liked it...

The red series has the same sound, Focusrite says the same. The reds are manufacutered by manpower, the isas are done by machines...

The 428 might be a good deal for cymbals...
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

I've got 2 ISA 220s too.
Characterless and boring!
Very clean/transparent and seems to have plenty of headroom though.

I'm not a fan though. API & Neve/Neve clone is where it's at for me
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Nut

ISA

I guess it makes sense: not to be a fan of gear you do not like,..
j
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search