The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need info on Chandler Tone Control Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Nut

Need info on Chandler Tone Control

Thanks in advance. I'm a bit confused on the use of the Chandler Tone Control EQ and exactly what it does.

When the Chandler Tone Control was first released I thought that it was a channel version of the Germ. That is a Germ pre with an EQ section like the TG Channel and the LTD Channel are for their respective pre amps.

After searching around on this board for reviews of the Tone Control, it seems that is not the purpose at all, but rather it is an EQ and the Germ section is simply for make up gain? Can it not be used as a mic pre? I've been saving to buy it for that purpose. (There was a post about not being able to use it as a DI) The EQ aspect seems to be highly rated, but no one mentioned using it as a recording channel.

If it does need to have another mic pre feeding it, would it give a clean pre (i.e. a Grace) some of the the Germ color by cranking the Tone Control amp? If you have one, how else are you using it? If I want the Germ color, would I be better off just getting a Germ pre and using an EQ or plug that I already have?
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

If you are not going to buy both the Germ Pre and the GTC:

(1) Buy a nice pre and the GTC. You can still get the Germ flavor with the Gain/Feedback combination, and enjoy the eq section. The treble can be very aggressive; the "presence" section is great on enhancing things or cutting problematic areas; the passive low end section can give you a huge low boost while cleaning up the mud around at the same time.

or (2) Buy the Germ Pre, position the mic and record things right before it hit the tape/DAW. Or run the sound through it later in combination with a nice eq.

I haven't found any of my pres that doesn't go with the GTC. Once you send a sound through a Germ unit, the flavor is there.

And I wouldn't suggest that you use the make-up gain section of the GTC as your mic pre. Even though it might have enough gain for your mic, you're still stuck with one sound (Gain and Feedback all the way up). It would be a pity. Not to mention you won't have that THICK button on a Germ Pre.

If you are going to buy just one, I'd suggest that you go with the GTC. You can use a nice pre before the GTC to get the Germ sound, but it's hard to get a sound with the EQ section of the GTC if you're using other eqs.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Nut

aryschien, thanks! so the Germ amp is just for make-up gain...I was really hoping that it could be used like a channel. the marketing of this one seems a bit confusing...if not for this board I would have bought it not knowing and been disappointed!

it's good to know that you can get the Germ thickness by adding the GTC though.

what I might do is get the TG MK-II channel and a Germ pre, that way I'll have a really musical EQ with 2 great pre colors for not much more than the Germ and GTC together. The EQ section is not the same as far as I can tell...seems to have different filter points and ranges...but functions similarly.
Old 23rd August 2007
Baz
Lives for gear

This pic, courtesy of Michael Wagener, should be of interest to you thumbsup

I've only used the GTC a couple of times, and not enough to provide any really informative info on it but I can add, that my first impression of the GTC was almost more of an "effect" than a traditional EQ. It can get VERY radical and do some crazy things in a hurry. There are a lot more sonic options in this unit than your "average" EQ, imho. I would really love to have 4 + of these babies and look forward to playin around with it more in the future.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post

I've only used the GTC a couple of times, and not enough to provide any really informative info on it but I can add, that my first impression of the GTC was almost more of an "effect" than a traditional EQ. It can get VERY radical and do some crazy things in a hurry. There are a lot more sonic options in this unit than your "average" EQ, imho. I would really love to have 4 + of these babies and look forward to playin around with it more in the future.
What session is that picture for? What band?
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Nut

Thanks for that Baz! I've used the Germ on electric guitars and bass and really liked what it could do and I am/was looking at using the GTC as more of an "effect" as I know it's not the surgical EQ that you'd typically want. I wouldn't get both, just need to decide which path to take.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Germs are disease spreading creations.
When you catch one (which ever) soon the temperature will raise and more and more will follow.
Bad thing really.
Don't get in touch with it.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzjunkie View Post
what I might do is get the TG MK-II channel and a Germ pre, that way I'll have a really musical EQ with 2 great pre colors for not much more than the Germ and GTC together. The EQ section is not the same as far as I can tell...seems to have different filter points and ranges...but functions similarly.
The TG pre is a good choice too. Like a nice and sweet cup of latte.

Yet the EQ secions of the TG Channel MkII and the GTC are totally different. You can say the former is from the Moon while the latter is from the Mars.

Like many have said, the GTC EQ can be as aggressive as an effect. The TG Ch EQ is all smooth.

GTC EQ: active high and presense + passive low boost and cut
TG Ch EQ: all passive. more boosting section (4) than cutting (1) and filtering (1).

And since they both sound amazingly colored on their own, I would just want to use them seperately instead of stacking them in one channel. What's more, you have to think about that, if this one track gets to have the TG sheen and the Germ color, what are you going to do with other tracks so that they can match up with this one?

Like someone has suggested me before, one thinks a lot when he's buying his first Chandler gear, but later he just doesn't care anymore, since in the end he'll buy them all anyway. And not just one of each....
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

thanks again arys, I've been reading up on the EQ section of the TG channel since I wrote that and most comments were exactly what you said. The GTC seems a better choice as I usually prefer to cut and filter rather than boost.

sometimes the marketing for these things is a bit much as both make reference for the EQ section being like a Pultec. I know neither are, but at least the GTC has Pultec like functions with it's cut/boost and active response.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
Germs are disease spreading creations.
When you catch one (which ever) soon the temperature will raise and more and more will follow.
Bad thing really.
Don't get in touch with it.
2 Germ Pre's and Tone Controls later.... now comps are on their way.... what he said....
Old 24th August 2007
member no 666

I have two Tone Controls in my rack and have to say they're amazing tools for getting things to sound huge [while still controled] and airy without getting harsh.

It seems that whenever I get something in to mix where there are a couple of main sounds that were [ahem... cough, cough] "not well recorded" the Tone Control is the one unit I have come to depend upon to get those sounds to happen in a manner condusive to the intent of the song.

They work in damn near every field of endeavor... from "jazz" guitars to "heavy" drums and vocals... everything I've ever thrown at it just comes out better. Seems that bass is a real specialty for the unit as I've usually found that trying to EQ bass is more often than not a losing battle [I can get far more done with a bass sound working on the envelop of the sound than trying to muscle it around with an EQ... with the exception of the Germanium Tone Control].

Peace.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
I have two Tone Controls in my rack and have to say they're amazing tools for getting things to sound huge [while still controled] and airy without getting harsh.

It seems that whenever I get something in to mix where there are a couple of main sounds that were [ahem... cough, cough] "not well recorded" the Tone Control is the one unit I have come to depend upon to get those sounds to happen in a manner condusive to the intent of the song.

They work in damn near every field of endeavor... from "jazz" guitars to "heavy" drums and vocals... everything I've ever thrown at it just comes out better. Seems that bass is a real specialty for the unit as I've usually found that trying to EQ bass is more often than not a losing battle [I can get far more done with a bass sound working on the envelop of the sound than trying to muscle it around with an EQ... with the exception of the Germanium Tone Control].

Peace.
...and where do you find this unit??? Shangri La?
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzjunkie View Post
When the Chandler Tone Control was first released I thought that it was a channel version of the Germ. That is a Germ pre with an EQ section like the TG Channel and the LTD Channel are for their respective pre amps.

.....I've been saving to buy it for that purpose.....
Maybe you should hold out for the Germanium channel:

GERMANIUS MAXIMUS from Chandler

It looks like a killer piece to me, I plan to pick up a couple when they become available.

Last edited by Mind-Over-Midi; 24th August 2007 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: Wrong link.
Old 24th August 2007
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prefontaine View Post
...and where do you find this unit??? Shangri La?
I find both of them in "Rack 1" pretty much next to my left hand when I'm sitting at the console so they can be twiddled while still in the monitor field. Most of the equalizers in the room are in that rack [not all, but most]... the "Tone Control"s just happen to be at hand height [along with the EQ-2NV and a pair of Portico 5033's] because they all see the most use.

Peace.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Tone Control is

BASS GOD !
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

fletcher, sounds like a very powerful and versatile tool. thanks for explaining some of it's purpose...since recording bass was one of the main reasons for my interest.

also, i wasn't aware of the Germanium Channel at all. it certainly looks like something i'll have to consider and plenty of info in that thread, thanks!
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Tone Control's are one of my best purchases this year..i've bought alot too....
i run all things through them..they sit right after my tg2..you want to talk about huge fat guitars
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post

Peace.
Agree with every bit.

I'd still add...
A great palette of different mudafuka sounds if you like mojo; the gain stage design is so gorgeous that you can make it behave/sound like a compressor; and in my opinion the best tone shapping tool ever for vocals in a dense mix - just unbelievable. Check for yourselves if you get the chance.
Old 12th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post

thumbsup THAT'S A SWEET SUITE OF SWEETS!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search