The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
help: AMS Neve 1073 DPD or AMS Neve 8801? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

help: AMS Neve 1073 DPD or AMS Neve 8801?

hi there!

need some help guys!

wanted to order a neve 1073 dpd but it´s not on stock at the moment. a neve 8801 would, so does someone have experiences? where´s the difference apart from preamp/channel strip.

need at least 2 wonderful preamps. how do the 88 preamps compare to the 1073?

thx!!!

eddie
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Havent tried any of the 88 series stuff, but...

1073 was designed back in 1970, using only disrcret parts and big fat transformers, and has that classic big and warm Neve sound. The 88 series stuff on the other hand is new Neve stuff. Not so sure about the design, but have never been that impressed by any newer stuff from Neve (I.e. the stuff they built from 80s and onwards).

Hm...not much help though....

/T
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Look at the Portico series by Rupert Neve.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Get the 8801 it's avery usefull and great Neve sounding pre with great EQ and again useful comp (hard sound/but punchy)with gate and expander...gee all in one box. The DPD is only stereo pres.
If I didn't have 2 x LTD-1, I would have bought it.

nIC
Old 18th January 2008
Lives for gear

I bought an 8801 a few days ago and have tried it on bass and guitar thru the DI and using a Rode NT1 to record my Martin acoustic guitar thru the mic pre. I'm pleased with the results and after using it for only a few hours. Haven't tried the expander / gate section in anger yet but I have used the compressor to tame the dynamics a little and the eq on the mic to add a bit more presence to the upper mids. The recordings sound big, warm and balanced. I was after an old AMEK CIB but couldn't find one second hand but this is basically the same thing. I wouldn't want the portico stuff to be honest, if I was going that route I'd opt for the api lunchbox. In summary though I think it's great on acoustic guitar, gtr / bass thru the DI and I couldn't be happier. I'm buying another one to use for mixdowns and will probably get it with the digital option.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search