The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
8-track tape-machine - what to get. Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Maniac

The 38 doesn't have noise reduction. The dbx units (you used a pair of Tascam NX 4 units with a 38) were sold separately from the machine.
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampex 354 View Post
The 38 doesn't have noise reduction. The dbx units (you used a pair of Tascam NX 4 units with a 38) were sold separately from the machine.
Great, thanks for that info.
Old 27th November 2009
tekis
8 track 1"!

Sounds great at 15ips and doesn't need noise reduction. Ampex and 3M sound the best but are short on features. They have clunky "autolocators" and punching can be best described as "exciting." MCI's and (earlier) Otari models will give you some of "the sound" and are more "civilized" with their features.
Old 27th November 2009
Gear Head

A Studer 1", 8-track J37...

...perhaps modified by EAR/Tim de Paravicini?
Old 11th February 2013
Here for the gear

8 tracks

Hi mate.
You might be just as well off picking up a 2" machine these days. I picked up 2 Otari 24 tracks, a dolby noise reduction (24) and 90 reels of ATR and Quantegy tape for $2000. A fairly extreme example, but these machines are big and people need room. Try going around to studio's and asking, that's how I got mine. Problem may be that it is a bit of work getting repairs done etc when the reward is only 8 semi pro tracks (even though anythings better than going through a computer, and I dig any tape machines). Plus you can't just pull the cards out to repair. I'm no technician by any means, but I bought a half inch 8 track a year ago for $800 plus $500 postage and it never seemed worth the effort, and now that I have the 2" machines i won't bother. There is obvious size issues with the 24 track machines, and the cost of tape, but the machines do seem to be going for less money than the half descent 8 tracks that work ATM. In Australia any there is about 4 or 5 people who fix reel to reel machines nation wide and the only guy in Sydney didn't want to work on my tascam 48 1/2", but he's fine with the 24 tracks. Just some thoughts mate. This will be an unpopular thread I think.
Old 11th February 2013
Gear Head

I have used most of the machines you have mentioned.

OTARI MX 5050 is the one. I had three at one stage, one working machine and two for parts.

They are INCREDIBLY reliable and robust. They are easy to lube and service. They even keep working when they are in bad shape!

They are quiet, no need for noise reduction.
Good remote control.
Head stocks simply plug in/out.

Best of all, they are cheap.
You will not be disappointed, but buy 2 or 3 machines and make a monster machine out of them!

Great meter-bridge and excellent switching between -10/+4 on each channel.

The MX 5050 is usually wired PIN 3 hot, so build looms accordingly.
Old 11th February 2013
We've got a pair of Otari MX70 8 track 1" that I think sound great!
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

I know this unit doesn't get the high-end love around here but my Tascam TSR-8 always brings a smile to my face...was going to sell it so I ran it through it's paces the other day, don't think I can part with it.
Old 15th February 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm7215 View Post
I know this unit doesn't get the high-end love around here but my Tascam TSR-8 always brings a smile to my face...was going to sell it so I ran it through it's paces the other day, don't think I can part with it.
I love mine with noise reduction off. I just make sure I record with meters in the red
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Head
I've had the Tascam 38 1/2 8 track, and upgraded to the Tascam ATR 60-8. The ATR is a pro machine, runs at 30 and 15 ips and is a pro 1/2 machine. I also have a Otari 1" 8 track. I think anything running at 30 ips is going to beat 15 ips that the 38 is limited to. However, the ATR is hard to find.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

I currently use a Revox C278. It works and sounds great ! No noise reduction needed, even for jazz. Drums sound godly thru it without any effort (using RMGI SM900). The big autolocator that comes with it is very handy. It's a great machine...
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Just going to butt in here, but how much to rerubber a tascam 48?
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombak View Post
Ampex 440-8 1"!
Exceedingly rare but great sounds to be had. The transport leaves something to be desired. I enjoy my 440B 2 track but like someone else mentioned you've got to keep it separate from your tracking space due to the noise.
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampex 354 View Post
you used a pair of Tascam NX 4 units with a 38
FWIW, I think what you were referring to was the Tascam DX-4D, which were their 4-chan dual-process type I dbx rack units. They were passable for what they were (scarcely high end, though), but had to be hot-wired (to bypass their 'control interface') work with anything other than Tascam gear. I don't recall an NX4 - and no mention of it in archives, either.
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

I do not believe the Revox was ever imported into the US.
Pretty sure you wont find many A800 here either
Otari MX 70 first pick
Scully or Ampex solid sounding machines tho they lack the autolocator or remote capabilities of the Otari.
As far as half inch 8 tracks the 5050mklll 8 track may be best of that Ilk..I don't remember ever seeing a MX55 8 track

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search