The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
demter VTCL - starts humming Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd August 2007
Here for the gear

demter VTCL - starts humming

Not sure if I am posting in correct forum... but I have a demeter VTCL that is in the same rack as daking, neve, ADR, avalon, tube-tech, and cranesong gear etc... and it all going into one of the 1224 Fuhrman units.

Everything is extremely quite except the demeter will all of a sudden pick up a nasty hum, sometimes a clicking sounds. If I turn it off it disappears for a few minutes and then it comes back and other times it is gone for a few hours.

I am 99% sure that the demeter is transformerless on the ins and outs... If I put Jensen tranformers on the inputs would this negate the problem or is it something else?

thoughts?

THANKS!

Currie
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

The first thing I would try is replacing the tubes, as it's an easy fix. Could be a bad cap though.
Old 22nd August 2007
Here for the gear

demeter

thanks for the reply - I actually did recently retube and recap - maybe it wasn't done properly?

The odd thing is that it can be quiet for quite a while and then all of a sudden go nuts (buzzing, humming etc...)

It sounds great when it isn't acting nasty
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currie View Post
thanks for the reply - I actually did recently retube and recap - maybe it wasn't done properly?

The odd thing is that it can be quiet for quite a while and then all of a sudden go nuts (buzzing, humming etc...)

It sounds great when it isn't acting nasty
sounds like it could be thermal related. It's possible that a tube is shorting as it heats up and the metal expands.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Maybe one of the replacement caps was beat??

I have one of these, and I hate to say it, but you're probably best off just sending it to Demeter for a fix. They will be able to diagnose it faster (thus cheaper) than others. While it's there, maybe you could spring for the XFormers. The full upgrade costs about $500 (for i/o on both channels).

Then, let me know how you like the upgrade
Old 22nd August 2007
One with big hooves

I have a VTCL-2a that's always had a ground issue... but when I get a buzz it's persistent, not random. When I go into a new shop I have to figure out where to lift ground if it does make noise... probably of little help. Could be a cap in the PSU or just a flaky connection...

If it was recapped recently call the tech who did it & have 'em take another look... might be something really simple.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search