The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Next generation for Duality, AWS, Icon? Control Surfaces
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Next generation for Duality, AWS, Icon?

When do you think new versions will come out for these high end solutions and what features and fixes should they have? Will there ever be a smaller Duality(24 or 32 ch.)? Opinions? Predicted release dates? Somebody have an inside scoop?

My main gripe with the Icon is 6 character scribble strips which is ridiculous for something that expensive. Duality is amazing but would love to see a smaller version (with non-HUI, ethernet protools control) and 8 micpres to make it more affordable and/or an SSL AWS 900 with compressors instead of mic pres at the same price.

Maybe SSL should just make a fader controller/frame with 2 rows of X-Rack slots so you can configure anyway you want.
Old 22nd August 2007
Solid State Logic

Who knows what we might have on the development table....heh
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Duality > Triology
AWS > BXT
Icon > "You"con

And they'll do the same stuff and have the same guts -- just look cooler, that's all. hehhehhehheh

(sorry, just bored out of my mind today waiting for the artist to show up to record vocals)
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

I think the main issue is how they're going to resolve the business model for music sales. Right now too much is geared towards the "Doom & Gloom" business model and things are getting smaller/cheaper etc.

I don't see this as a long term situation, and once the business model is resolved (as well as the playback formats)I suspect that those who are positioned to take advantage of this will cash in. Obviously the two that stand out are API and SSL.

What's the next thing going to be? Well everyone wants the same thing. A low maintainence analog console with TOTAL RECALL priced to fit the market. We're just waiting for the "market" to come back
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear
hopefully AES will bring some exciting products.

Peter Reardon was talking about an SH mixer with detented pots and DAW recallable snapshots, Geoff Daking was talking about an instantly resetable analog console... then there's that Trident 'Light' board which i've only seen at AES - w/instant reset and DAW control. AFAIK no one owns one.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
A low maintainence analog console with TOTAL RECALL priced to fit the market. We're just waiting for the "market" to come back
I've never worked on one, but what you're describing sounds like a Euphonix.

...perhaps without the "priced to fit the market" part, though.
Old 23rd August 2007
I'm willing to wager a large sum of moneu that digi is about to bring a new control surface/desk to the table at AES. Any takers?
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
Peter Reardon was talking about an SH mixer with detented pots and DAW recallable snapshots,
Place your order now and you "might" receive it by 2010. Sorry...been waiting for my SH Comp and GAMAs for months.

In regards to a new Digi product - I'd be very interested to know of any new surface as I was planning to purchase a D-Command next week. Grrrrrrrrrreeeeaaaaaat.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimskidog View Post
I'm willing to wager a large sum of moneu that digi is about to bring a new control surface/desk to the table at AES. Any takers?
i doubt digi will come out with another control surface at this time, imho they kind of have most bases covered in that dept., but a software upgrade could be cool.
Old 23rd August 2007
so you wanna take my money then...?

Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear
ok. you're on for a buck! stike

actually the wager doesn't include boards for live purposes like the venue. i could easily see them releasing something for that market.
are we still on?
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyest1 View Post
Place your order now and you "might" receive it by 2010. Sorry...been waiting for my SH Comp and GAMAs for months.

Same here. Am still waiting for my SH compressor... and it's been quite a wait... Peter, when can I get it?!!
Old 23rd August 2007
SSL UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bforest4 View Post
When do you think new versions will come out for these high end solutions and what features and fixes should they have? Will there ever be a smaller Duality(24 or 32 ch.)? Opinions? Predicted release dates? Somebody have an inside scoop?

My main gripe with the Icon is 6 character scribble strips which is ridiculous for something that expensive. Duality is amazing but would love to see a smaller version (with non-HUI, ethernet protools control) and 8 micpres to make it more affordable and/or an SSL AWS 900 with compressors instead of mic pres at the same price.

Maybe SSL should just make a fader controller/frame with 2 rows of X-Rack slots so you can configure anyway you want.
tutt
Old 23rd August 2007
Quote:
k. you're on for a buck!
...are we still on?
Call it a pound (two bucks) and you are on!
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

I bet if they are coming out with a new surface, it would almost certainly be a control 24 replacement. That thing has been around for 6-7 years now.. The used market is flooded with them, and they can't be selling to many anymore.

Jon
Old 23rd August 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

If only they would do something in the same form factor as the C24. These huge pieces of furniture to hold them aren't worn out yet!
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Call it a pound (two bucks) and you are on!
k dude. see you at AES.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
If only they would do something in the same form factor as the C24. These huge pieces of furniture to hold them aren't worn out yet!

i'm surprised no has tried to "HOT ROD" the Control-24 unitsheh
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm in for a buck...

FWIW, Digi isn't going to have much on display, just a D-Control and a Venue. Or so I heard.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Who knows what we might have on the development table....heh
An SSL in an IPhone? heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search