The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Masterlink Equivalent w/ Punch-In Capabilites Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

Masterlink Equivalent w/ Punch-In Capabilites

I love the live to 2-track thing. And I love my Masterlink. But Punch-In capability would be great for that extremely rare scenario where I make a mistakeheh.

Any suggestions. (No PC/Mac solutions please).
Old 22nd August 2007
no ssl yet
We've had them for years

DAT machine.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
We've had them for years

DAT machine.
Yeah, but not 24bit, right?
Old 22nd August 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrasser View Post
Yeah, but not 24bit, right?
Buy a 24 bit Dat machine (Tascam made one)

Or buy an 8 trk and use 2 tracks.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks. Got a model# on that 24bit Dat recorder.

Done tape; too much hastle for too little return.
Old 22nd August 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrasser View Post
Thanks. Got a model# on that 24bit Dat recorder.

Done tape; too much hastle for too little return.
You do realize a dat machine uses a TAPE right?

I was suggesting an 8 trk Hard disc recorder.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks. Thought you were referring to 8track analog tape machine. Yes, I know DAT machines use digital audio tape.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks Jim. I've been looking at that unit. thumbsup Wish it had digital outs that worked with the Masterlink's ins.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

+1 on the HD24XR. I've had mine for just over a year and grow to love it more as time passes.

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Alesis HD24XR. You can punch in/out all day. Then you can edit all day. Then you can dump into PC's and edit all day. Then you can dump it all back in to mix/transfer. You get 12 tracks at 96k. Street price is around $1700. Used is even less.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Michael Wagner was selling a Tascam DA98 and DA78 last week. He may still have them for sale.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gears...orld-sale.html
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Nut

Masterlink vs. Tascam DV-RA1000 HD

Quote:
. . .have a Tascam DV-RA1000 here and it's the official Masterlink killer. The model with the hard drive is best. I don't know if it does the punch-in thing, but it sounds very good. It's a little pricy, about what a HD24XR goes for.
How would you say it compares to a Masterlink you've modded? I purchased a new Masterlink and had you mod it....came out to a K total between your upgrade tweeks and a new Masterlink. I think it sounds fantastic and is one of my most used pieces.

Is the Tascam DV-RA1000 twice as good as a Masterlink you've modded? Havn't been able to find an HD version of the Tascam for less than $1900.00

Regards,

canderson
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Guru

I have a Panasonic that is 20 bit, sounds great.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

I have been using a computer with an RME audio card and my 2192 running Wavelab and/or Cubase/Nuendo as my 2 track mixdown deck for a long time now.

The flexability is amazing. I mean... it's a computer. It can do tons of things. It doesnt' take a fast computer for this task... so that won't break the bank. Then you can decide what quality you want in your converters/sound cards.

CD burning is super easy. Files go to on onsite networked server with full redundancy for safe backup. All connected over gigabit lan, so the speed is great enough to actually stream 40 96K 24bit tracks REAL time from the server at any workstation in the complex.

I would never go back to a masterlink... uggghhh
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by canderson View Post
How would you say it compares to a Masterlink you've modded? I purchased a new Masterlink and had you mod it....came out to a K total between your upgrade tweeks and a new Masterlink. I think it sounds fantastic and is one of my most used pieces.

Is the Tascam DV-RA1000 twice as good as a Masterlink you've modded? Havn't been able to find an HD version of the Tascam for less than $1900.00

Regards,

canderson
I'd be curious about this as well. Also, Jim what type of mod do you do to the Masterlink? Is it geared towards the A/D or D/A or both? I've always felt that the converters on the Masterlink were more than adequate for the type of music I do.... i.e., Americana, Bluegrass, Folk, very few tracks, dsp, etc. What's your opinion on the Masterlink's converters? Are they about even with the ones on HD24XR? Guesss I've hijacked my own thread a little here.

Last edited by bluegrasser; 23rd August 2007 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: Grammar, Spelling.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Nut

Straight from 24 / 44 recording to Redbook CD Burn?

Quote:
Masterlink and HD24XR both use the AKM 4393/5393 converters. The new Tascam uses BB1804 A/D's and the incredible DSD1792 dac. That dac has a -129 db dynamic range. Cleaned up analog makes it the Masterlink killer. It does not have the masked playback problems of the Masterlink as one needs to evaluate those discs on another player and dac to hear what you have. I would not go for the DVD version, but the hard drive version.

The only problem is those DSD DVD discs don't do red book, you need to put it into PCM mode to do that.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Thanks for replying Jim. How quick of a job is it to record on the Tascam unit at 24 / 44 say a 45 minute set and then burn a Redbook standard CD-R?

Best,

canderson
Old 30th November 2007
Gear Nut

Jim, Are the Tascam A/D converters good enough for mixdown or would you need an outboard A/D to use it as a master deck?
Old 30th November 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by canderson View Post
Thanks for replying Jim. How quick of a job is it to record on the Tascam unit at 24 / 44 say a 45 minute set and then burn a Redbook standard CD-R?

Best,

canderson
I'm curious about this too, Jim.
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear
Jim: I asked a question about the new Korg MR1000 and no one replied you seem like a real knowledgeable and helpful pro so I'll dare to ask you:

I have an all analog studio except when I do my final mix thru my Phonic 3243 mixer into the Masterlink; if I throw this mix to the Kork and then input that to the Masterlink via the analog XLR ins; would I have a better sounding mix, or would it only be as good as the Masterlink will allow?

Also, what is this mod you do to the M-Link? Mine is 10 years old and I'm thinking of upgrading soon......
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear
Jim: Thanks. I am using the "old" Lucid 2496AD, not great but better than the M-links converters.

As to the question about this new wunder kind - the Korg MR1000....I guess no one wants to tackle that question
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear

ditched masterlink for a separate PC setup w/ samplitude as master recorder. converting w/ hedd-192. alot more flexibility and a 19" lcd
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by computa View Post
ditched masterlink for a separate PC setup w/ samplitude as master recorder. converting w/ hedd-192. alot more flexibility and a 19" lcd

I know computers are the thing, but for us old farts who don't want to learn this computer thing....the "wunder boxes" like Masterlink, Korg MR1000 and others are the ONLY choice.......seems like many prefer the new Tascam DSD box to the M-link. Just wonder if it is as easy to use as the M-link?
Old 30th November 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
If you have an outboard DSD A/D, sure. If not, you use the BB chip set. This is a DSD 1 bit recorder that can convert to PCM. If you use a PCM outboard A/D, you miss the DSD function.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Thanks for your help Jim. I'm not really interested in DSD right now. I would be using PCM at either 44.1k or 88.2k. Are the converters good enough at these sample rates or do you need an outboard A/D?

Also, does anybody know if it has a decent onboard sample rate converter?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search