The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 3104 Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

Neve 3104

A friend wants to sell me his pair of Neve 3104's. These are actual Neve modules that were racked by Brent Averill around 1990 or so. I can't seem to find out much info on this particular model and thought I'd see if anyone here might know a little about them.

What's a pair of these sell for?

Thanks,
Kenny M.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny M View Post
A friend wants to sell me his pair of Neve 3104's. These are actual Neve modules that were racked by Brent Averill around 1990 or so. I can't seem to find out much info on this particular model and thought I'd see if anyone here might know a little about them.

What's a pair of these sell for?

Thanks,
Kenny M.
Hi

Not much to tell.. they are a nice 3 band EQ mic pre, not class A output but neither are lots of other nice sounding Neve modules.

A couple of small caveats...

1. No, these modules are not the same design as a 1081... the 1081 has 4 band EQ and an output transformer the size of a house brick.

2. I have seen some of these racks with a "Class A" switch.... if ever there was a silly mod that would have Neve designers grimacing... this was it.

Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks Geoff. So it isn't the same as a 1081 which I was originally told. I also think that means it shouldn't be in the price range of the 1081 either.

Anyone know what a pair is going for?
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Geoff. So it isn't the same as a 1081 which I was originally told. I also think that means it shouldn't be in the price range of the 1081 either.

Hi

I've no idea but it was silly of BA to say that it was the same as a 1081 because most of the sound in these units comes from the output stage, not the input transformer and BA338 amplifier. Sure, they both have BA340 output amplifiers but the 1081 drives the chunky low impedance LO2567 output transformer while the 3104 drives the higher impedance and far smaller LO1173.... they have to sound different.

The "Class A" mod involved power boosting a BA338 that was in front of the output amplifier so that it could drive the output transformer instead of the BA340 Class AB output stage.

Even with a following wind, the BA338 shouldn't drive less than 600 ohms when power boosted (it's normally spec'd around 1Kohm) because the output devices don't have heatsinks to dump the extra current.... but they expected it to drive the 70 ohm primary of the output transformer.

I would never recommend using a modification like that and Neve dropped the unreliable power boost option when they brought out the BA438.

Mind you, it wasn't Brent came up with this crackpot idea, or Mark or Avedis....

Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

Hey, thanks again Geoff. That's mainly the type of info I was looking for. Since the purchase price is up there close to where a pair of 1081's hover, I think I'll pass on them. I was trying to help a friend out who needs to liquidate a few things, but I just don't think he's realistic on how the price would actually compare to actual 1081's. These still sound great, but should be a bit more economical in my opinion.

Thanks
Old 4th June 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:

It seems like you're friend has the modules confused with 33140's that are a 4 band broadcast module while they are very rare.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search