The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann / Siemens / Telefunken PREAMPS Single-Channel Preamps
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

Neumann / Siemens / Telefunken PREAMPS

Especially Neumann V476b vs Siemens V276 preamps.
Differences?
Some say that the V276 has a more iron-like and transistor-colored sound and the V476b is more smooth, open and hi-fi.
Would the V476b not have as much of a vintage tone?
What's your opinions?
Thanks in advance
Old 23rd August 2007
mas
Gear Nut

Have heard the Neumanns once. Very good, but didn´t really impress me (when compared to Neve VR pres). Others who have worked with them told me that they felt those preamps sounded slightly midrangey (at least compared to an API 512).

Can´t comment on the german Siemens V276, but I recently bought a couple of Siemens Austria (former WSW) "UA"-preamps (late 60´s/early 70´s). Those have three different inputs that provide different impedance (180, 600, 1900 Ohms) and have a gain range between 30-60db to 40-70dB depending on the chosen input. No locut or other features. (Frequ. response is extended well below 30Hz whereas the V X76´s usually cut down below 40Hz at least). Since the spec for the self noise is -130dBm for frequ. up to 15kHz and -125dBm up to 45kHz, I guess that no Hicut-filtering is involved.

Have tested them so far in the 30-60dB range and have to say that their sound makes me think they were tube units (they´re not of course). They sound very organic and have a smooth and shiny top end, and in combination with my VM1 the upper midrange has something very C12-ish about it. Haven´t tested them extensively yet but I certainly like what I´ve heard so far.

P.S. (13.9.07): Meanwhile I have done quite some tests and comparisons with various microphones and the different inputs. I generally can say that the sound gets somewhat "bigger" and even more relaxed and open sounding the lower the input impedance gets - which I honestly find paradox... However these differences vary a bit, depending on the mic used.
I also compared it to a TubeTech MP1A and an Aphex 1100. It´s generally at least as appealing as the TubeTech in a musical way, whereas the Aphex is clearly faster and adds less colour. I haven´t any experience how the tracks would behave in a mix by now.
Attached Thumbnails
Neumann / Siemens / Telefunken PREAMPS-siemens-ua.jpg  
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

thanks for your input mas.

other opinions?
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Telefunken & Siemens mic pres

The Siemens V276 from their Sitral series is a classic discrete solid state mic pre. Its very smooth, quiet, and the large Mu-Metal shielded transformers give it a nice vintage character. The V276 from Siemens and the TAB made V376 came out about the same time (mid 1960's) and were first generation solid state units designed to replace the great tube V76 which was also made by TAB. The Neumann V476 is a later unit from the mid-late 1970's which was designed as a substitute for the V276/V376. You will see these with both black and white front panels. I have only used a V476 once and it was not in my studio, but I remember it as being a very good pre, maybe with slightly less vintage "character" but still great. In my opinion, the TAB V376 (often branded as Telefunken V376) is the best of the German solid state mic pres units with an amazing open top end, a smooth mid range and a nice bottom. I would put it up against any Neve or API out there. The best of the Neve's (1073, 1066) have a special midrange character that's unique, but if I was on a desert island and could only have one mic pre, I would chose the TAB/Telefunken V376 over anything that I have ever personally used (except maybe the similiar tube V76).

Some history. The 2 main German tube mic pres from the 1950's are the V72 and the V76. The V72 was a multi-purpose amp which was mainly designed to be a line amp with a fixed gain of about 40 db. It can be modified into a wonderful mic pre and the gain can be made to be variable (externally) and increased to about 50 - 55 dbs. The V76 was a dedicated mic pre with variable gain of 76 dbs. It was their top of the line and very expensive (still is). Both Siemens and TAB made V72 units. All of the V76 units I have seen have been from TAB. The solid state units added a number to the front, hence the V276, V376, V476, V676, V776 and V976 (and there could be more versions) are all V76 replacements. The V272, V372, V672 etc. are all V72 replacements. In addition to Siemens and TAB, you will see later units in this series under the BFE name (which was part of Siemens), Neumann, ANT, and LAWO. The ANT and LAWO versions are not as well respected as the earlier TAB and Siemens units but I have not used these myself so I can't really comment on what those sound like. Generally speaking, the earlier the better for the German modules.

I am sure you could not go wrong with either a Siemens V276 or a Neumann V476, but look for the V376 if you can. I see them turning up on ebay and they are not expensive (around $400 for a raw module).

J. Mike Perkins
jmikeperkins.com myspace.com/jmikeperkins
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I am set on Sitral by Siemens. Very very expensive this stuff was in the mid 60´s. I have 2 consoles (M444) loaded with V276, V275, V272, etc...

The V276 is simply a great preamp, very underated IMO, due to the fact that it has no "N" logo on it.

In combination with a tube mic it shines really... A true classic. Also you can work with dynamic mics. My Shure SM-57 likes it a lot!
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have 6 channel strips from TAB with the equivalent of the V376 preamp and W395a EQ in them. Super things. Also have 4 matching compressor strips which have the U373a in there. Felt good when I got that set! Still need to rack it properly though.
Old 13th September 2007
Here for the gear
i have two 276's , in desperate need for a rack.

can anyone tell me in plain english which pin of the 32-pin connector to connect to what?
i got some mixed info on this subject, and i really don't wanna screw up these two. + i'm no hero when it comes to reading schematics.

any guidance here is very appreciated
Old 13th September 2007
Here for the gear
i meant 31-pin connector - sawry
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Head

Maybe this is your solution...?
sonisworld racks
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULL-DUPLEX View Post
I am set on Sitral by Siemens. Very very expensive this stuff was in the mid 60´s. I have 2 consoles (M444) loaded with V276, V275, V272, etc...
Hello FullDuplex, i am a great fan of german vintage tones too, i use very often v276 and v272, and several kinds of eqs, i was planning to build a console, so i bought some v275/01 modules, now ive got an API line mixer loaded with these eqs, but ive always wondered how this v275/01 sounded, the color and sound of v276 are great, but too much for a 2bus, are these v275 more of the same, or the have more top and bottom than v276 ? i am planning to build some submasters or maybe some preamps with DI input and reampbox, all in one... , i couldnt find much info on v275 besides some posts in another forum where oliver archut replied me, with lots of technical info, but never got a real user review, or opinion, what do you think ?

thanks in advance,
Patricio
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hi Patricio,

the V275 has simply the best specs... You can run a lot of signals through it and you won´t loose any quality of your signal(s).

It is hard to descripe, but I can say that the sound of the V275 is between V276 and V272. There are different versions out there... The V275 (without "0" or something else) is full discrete! The V275/0 has IC´s build in.

I think you can´t go wrong with the Sitral stuff. Best quality of past and tomorrow. It won´t break your bank if you buy two V275...
So check it out!
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Musikk View Post
Maybe this is your solution...?
sonisworld racks
Yes it is a solution...

I can post a picture of a nice and cheap selfmade adaptor. 31-pin to XLR In and Out and powersupply cable...
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULL-DUPLEX View Post
Hi Patricio,

the V275 has simply the best specs... You can run a lot of signals through it and you won´t loose any quality of your signal(s).

It is hard to descripe, but I can say that the sound of the V275 is between V276 and V272. There are different versions out there... The V275 (without "0" or something else) is full discrete! The V275/0 has IC´s build in.

I think you can´t go wrong with the Sitral stuff. Best quality of past and tomorrow. It won´t break your bank if you buy two V275...
So check it out!

thanks man, as soon as I finish my hibryd API NEUMANN SIEMENS board i will check these v275... i think the same about sitral stuff, and most of neumann eqs, they are great !
i posted a topic about U273b kompressors in the high end forum just to keep this topic clear, thanks for your answers.
patricio
Old 20th September 2009
LMS
Lives for gear

neumann PMV70 MIC PRES. MINT! $1400 FOR THE PAIR, RACKED

I have a pair of racked neumann pmv70's. anyone interested???

FS: RARE Neumann PMV70 mic pres
Old 1st February 2012
LMS
Lives for gear

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search