The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal Twin 6 ver. Mackie HR Studio Monitors
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Focal Twin 6 ver. Mackie HR

Just curious if any would like to chime in, how much better would the Focal Twin6 be ahead of the Mackie HR series quality wise???. I own the Mackies now and I'm considering the Focal twins. The best would be for me to try a set in my place for sure, but being isolated from any close by dealer makes it real dificult here in the very nothern part of Ontario Canada. I will get a set of Focal to try out in my place,but just wandering if they rank high on the scale of must try monitors. Just looking for experienced opinions to help me along. Lots of positive posting here on Gearsluts. Thanks to all who care or have time to reply. All the best.thumbsup
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

I haven't heared the Focals yet, but They gotta be better then the Mackie HRs
Old 22nd August 2007
To be honest with you, the Mackie's aren't even in the same league as the Focals. The Mackie's are super hyped in the low end and show very little real world detail in the high mid range. The Focal's are very even and translate extremely well to the real world.
Old 22nd August 2007
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
To be honest with you, the Mackie's aren't even in the same league as the Focals. The Mackie's are super hyped in the low end and show very little real world detail in the high mid range. The Focal's are very even and translate extremely well to the real world.
Must be your room or your ears. Mine measure pretty darn flat, flatter than my Gene's in my room.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Recently switched over to the Twin6's in my studio and absolutely love them..

I haven't compared them to Mackies unfortunately, however i can compare them to other two way monitors that ive heard including the Solo6's.

The Twin6's have alot more all round detail because of the extra driver and i find them very revealing for the type of music im doing (Dance with Rock Influence). The high's and mid's are detailed, i particularly preferd the detail in low/ Low Mids on them compared to many of the other two way monitors ive heard which all seem to lack the same resolution in this area.

The only thing i would say about the Twins is that i wished they could go a little lower in frequency, however one cant really complain as they arn't exactly expensive, and Focal also do a Sub for them!

Old 22nd August 2007
PDC
Lives for gear

Not to bust balls here, but monitor comparisons are moot IMO. The only way to compare is blind in the same room, in the their proper position for the room.

It is impossible to remember sounds for comparison in the future in a different acoustic space.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Head

What about Focal Twin6 compared to PMC TBS2 Monitors? Have anyone tried them both and can share an opinion??
Cheers
Old 22nd August 2007
I owned a pair of HR 824's for years, they worked pretty well for me although I always felt the bottom was abit cloudy and the mids werent well defined. UBK brought a pair of twin 6's by for me to check out and the biggest difference I noticed was the clarity, especially in the bass. The Mackies were making low end but the Focals made the low end with real definition. It was a revelation to me. I needed to spend a pile of money as much as I need a third eye but I bought them right then and there. 6 months or so later I'm still enthralled with them
Old 22nd August 2007
totally different level, the Focals are far, far superior!
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC View Post
Must be your room or your ears. Mine measure pretty darn flat, flatter than my Gene's in my room.

it's not a measurement thing, it's a detail & accuracy thing; quality as opposed to quantity. the transient response of the focals is ludicrous, and the precision of the info is up there with the best monitors going at twice the price. the mackies put out as much, possibly more bass, than the twins, but it is nowhere near the same experience. the mackies are loose and smeared, the twins are like surgical instruments.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 22nd August 2007
Quote:
the transient response of the focals is ludicrous, and the precision of the info is up there with the best monitors going at twice the price.
erm.. that is a bit too much marketing.

we know that every monitor in this priceclass has it's adavantages and disadvantages. revealing the bad things is somethimes better than just talk all day and night long how great one product is.

I have no problems with Focal, and I think they are priced right for what they deliver. not more, not less.

Mackies are great for realworld comparison, but not for mixing.
Old 22nd August 2007
oh, and why do the focals have KRK electronics and stuff in it? same factory?
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Sorry George,

But, fortunately, UBK is right. The Twins definitely stand up against products twice their price.

Sorry to the PMC owners, but against the TB2S's, there is no contest. The Twins kill. (and that was from a direct shoot-out experience)

And George, as far as i understand it, KRK are using Focal components. not the other way around.
Old 22nd August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sui_City View Post
Sorry George,

But, fortunately, UBK is right. The Twins definitely stand up against products twice their price.

Sorry to the PMC owners, but against the TB2S's, there is no contest. The Twins kill. (and that was from a direct shoot-out experience)

And George, as far as i understand it, KRK are using Focal components. not the other way around.
I am very sorry.. U B K you are so right heh

it was just a personal IMPRESSION

ok, agreed on the KRK thing.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post

we know that every monitor in this priceclass has it's adavantages and disadvantages. revealing the bad things is somethimes better than just talk all day and night long how great one product is.

I have no problems with Focal, and I think they are priced right for what they deliver. not more, not less.

Mackies are great for realworld comparison, but not for mixing.
Hello George,

With all due respect,
I'd say a long time ago, when I was young (early 80's), I had a job in hifi highend/midrange's shop.
I had a remote to do the A/B test with all the speakers in the auditorium, each time the Focal's (called JM LAB in the hifi's world) were to my ears really one step above against most of the speakers in the same (and sometimes higher) pricerange.
As a musician, I often found them more realistic and more detailed than many other famous ones.
(I'm french but this has nothing to do with the fact these are french products, I only care for sound quality )
I feel the same now, regarding their price's range (and again according to my ears which is an opinion and certainly not an universal truth...), Solo6 and Twin6 are far way better than many other ones in the same price monitor's range (specially against the Mackies IMHO). More detailed, less artificial bass emphasis, less fatiguing for the ears during long time use,...
Well, I don't like D/A A/D thing in SM8 and SM11. But that's an other tale...

And as said above, KRK uses Focal's speakers in their own boxes and not the other way.
Old 22nd August 2007

matter of taste, isnt it?
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

it might be a matter of taste .but I also agree the Focals are in a different league.
the Twins are my favorite upgrade in a long time!
KG
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm66 View Post

I had a remote to do the A/B test with all the speakers in the auditorium, each time the Focal's (called JM LAB in the hifi's world) were to my ears really one step above against most of the speakers in the same (and sometimes higher) pricerange.
Yes, the first time I heard Focals/JM Labs was actually at a hi-fi shop. Did a lot of A/B comparisons with other speakers, some costing much more, and the verdict was the same as the pro line Focal stuff : unbeatable transient response, the most natural, musical sounding ENTIRE midrange, smooth yet very precise, etc etc. My home-theater crazed buddy bought them - and he also has a 5.1 M&K setup. Guess which speakers sound better.

Neal
Old 22nd August 2007
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC View Post
Not to bust balls here, but monitor comparisons are moot IMO. The only way to compare is blind in the same room, in the their proper position for the room.
With all due respect, I agree that monitor comparisons are indeed moot... but for a different reason.

I have found that the only way to check out monitors is to actually mix on them and then hear how your product references in the outside world. Monitors are production tools... not reproduction tools. How they sound when you play your favorite CD through them is of no consequence... how your mixes reference to the outside world is ALL that is important.

I would recommend that anyone interested in getting a new pair of monitors get them in their room for at least a couple of weeks and do a bunch of work on them... then, and only then will you know if the monitors are a good fit for you or not.

Measurements are meaningless, what people say on forums like this is pretty much meaningless... the only thing with meaning is the sonic character of the music that leaves your production facility.

Peace.
Old 22nd August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
With all due respect, I agree that monitor comparisons are indeed moot... but for a different reason.

I have found that the only way to check out monitors is to actually mix on them and then hear how your product references in the outside world. Monitors are production tools... not reproduction tools. How they sound when you play your favorite CD through them is of no consequence... how your mixes reference to the outside world is ALL that is important.

I would recommend that anyone interested in getting a new pair of monitors get them in their room for at least a couple of weeks and do a bunch of work on them... then, and only then will you know if the monitors are a good fit for you or not.

Measurements are meaningless, what people say on forums like this is pretty much meaningless... the only thing with meaning is the sonic character of the music that leaves your production facility.

Peace.
Thats what I did. I had mixed a track the day before and left my mix up when Gregoire came by with the Focals. What they told me in my room was what made me buy them. And every day I work on them I appreciate how they help to make my work better. Which is what a good tool is supposed to do?
Old 23rd August 2007
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
it's not a measurement thing, it's a detail & accuracy thing; quality as opposed to quantity. the transient response of the focals is ludicrous, and the precision of the info is up there with the best monitors going at twice the price. the mackies put out as much, possibly more bass, than the twins, but it is nowhere near the same experience. the mackies are loose and smeared, the twins are like surgical instruments.

gregoire
del
ubk
My response was to a poster who said that the Mackies were bass heavy. Bass heavy to me says "bass is louder" or "out of balance". Any monitor can be bass heavy in a crappy room, or in a good room in a crappy location. There is no doubt that there are more detailed monitors than the Mackies. But I suspect, based on the volume issue given, that modes and nodes were the real issue in the poster's comments, because the Mackies are VERY flat for me in my room and in many, many other's across the country.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

I have a pair of Twins 6 and the Sub 6 arriving here today. I will leave the Mackies up to see how they stand up by doing a side by side mix of a song and comparing how they both translate. The room we mix in is well treated and we use Apogee A/D-D/A 16X to Lynx AES16 as audio interface. Gonna have some fun here. Let you folks know how things pan out in a little while from now. Thanks to all who replied. All the best.thumbsup
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

un****ing believable

that's all I'm going to say for now.

heh
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Poulin View Post
un****ing believable

that's all I'm going to say for now.

heh

i was saying the same thing exactly when i heard them for the first time heh
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agreed. Why are we still having threads like these where guys who are hawking the gear in question don't preface their opinions with this info first?!

If the product's as good as they claim, their should be no need for this little omission.
Old 28th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
i was saying the same thing exactly when i heard them for the first time heh

I think I need to buy 10 of them.. now..

who needs food and water when you have focal?
Old 28th August 2007
Reg
Gear Maniac

Price point,good looking,clairity,bottom end with Sub6,very happy so far. Goodby Mackies, I will not miss you. To each there own I would say. There are a handfull of realy good monitors out there and the Twin6 are one of them. Again, price point, ther staying with me in my room. All the best.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Monitors et al

Quote:

Peace.
Measurements are't everything, but they're far from meaningless. What people say on forums isn't everything, but it's far from meaningless. In fact there's often very useful info communicated. IMO

I have the impression that "flat responce" is like a picture of the earth taken from 1000 miles out. That is, that it's round. But if we were furnished with close snapshots of smaller ranges (e.g. show us 430-450 hz in detail), we would see lots of mountains and valleys, that with our ears we call detail.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Peace.
perfect words....
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:

matter of taste, isnt it?
Of course, as ever about monitoring...

Only meant that Focal was'nt a new speaker's manufacturer coming from nowhere.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search