The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal Twin 6 ver. Mackie HR Studio Monitors
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalo View Post
What about Focal Twin6 compared to PMC TBS2 Monitors? Have anyone tried them both and can share an opinion??
Cheers
I haven't heard the TBS2, but I just demo's the RM2 last weekend, which is essentially PMC technology with Digidesign logo on it. Believe it or not, I was A/B'ing it against the JBL LSR4328P's.

At first when I asked the sales guy to bring the 4328's into the listening room to A/B against the RM2's, he (and a co-worker) both snorted and gave me the whole "They are not even close to being in the same league." But I insisted because I had already A/B'd the 4328's against other more expensive monitors so I know they can hold their own.

Well, color them shocked when we cranked through a number of different tracks--from orchestral, jazz, industrial, rock, electronic...etc, and it was very hard to hear any significant difference between the two sets supposedly in "different leagues." In fact, in some instances, the JBL's had a slightly bigger soundstage, and more clarity in instrument separation. To be fair though, the RM2's weren't properly burned in yet (recommended is 14 hours).

I've heard the Solo6 instead of the Twin6, and I really liked the Solo6, and I hear that the Twin6's are even better. The mid's are noticeably lusher than other monitors in the same price range (I A/B'd against Dynaudio BM12A/BM6A MkII and original, JBL LSR4328P, Klein + Hummel O 300D). It would need a sub to get that last low octave though.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Poulin View Post
un****ing believable

that's all I'm going to say for now.

heh
Hey, aren't you going to follow up with more details? C'mon, don't keep us waiting here!
Old 14th September 2007
Reg
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatique View Post
Hey, aren't you going to follow up with more details? C'mon, don't keep us waiting here!
Jason and I have re-configured our studio to analogue summing and are waiting for a new board. All projects are now on hold. We will post when we have something worth while to share, so for now, the jury is still out. But I can tell you for sure, we will be able to live with the Focal Twins. I ran a bunch of old mixes thru them and all I can say is, the Mackies were lying to us. I will have more to say when I start tracking.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg View Post
Jason and I have re-configured our studio to analogue summing and are waiting for a new board. All projects are now on hold. We will post when we have something worth while to share, so for now, the jury is still out. But I can tell you for sure, we will be able to live with the Focal Twins. I ran a bunch of old mixes thru them and all I can say is, the Mackies were lying to us. I will have more to say when I start tracking.
Do you find that you miss the lowest octave with the Twins? Will you add a sub?
Old 14th September 2007
Reg
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatique View Post
Do you find that you miss the lowest octave with the Twins? Will you add a sub?
We also purchased the Focal Sub6 for when we need more bottom info. No regrets there also. You can add a foot switch to toggle the sub on/off . Very nice feature if you ask me, and the sub sounds great with the Twins.
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg View Post
We also purchased the Focal Sub6 for when we need more bottom info. No regrets there also. You can add a foot switch to toggle the sub on/off . Very nice feature if you ask me, and the sub sounds great with the Twins.

the coolest thing about the footswitch is that it also toggles the highpass; when you kill the sub, it restores the satellites to full range. slick.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Nut

I have the Twin6Be (without sub) for 3 months now, after having mixed for about 8 years with HR824. I still have the two sets in my studio. Guess what... I don't even bother to power up the HR824 anymore. So much details in the low and mid compared to the mackies, so easy to listen for many hours... and best of it, my mix have never translated so well. Definitly one of my best buy. And I was really loving my HR824 !
Old 27th February 2008
I have listened carefully and have done some critical mixing on Focal Solo's in the last year of so and, have recently had a listen to several of my own mixes on the Focal twins.
The Focal stuff has a great up front mids and sizzling top end character however even the Twin's the bottom end is ordinary compared to the PMC TB2S-A's. Hence people often sight needing the sub.
I have owned a pair of TB2S-A's for 9 months now and find the imaging 3 dimensional and overall balance amazing.
They are much more integrated than Focals. you know when you are listening to the tweeter on Focals it kind of bothers me when you can visualise which driver id feeding you the sound rather than just hearing the sound on the stage.

I'm certainly not dissing them they are great Value and i wouldn't complain about having to mix on them.

We need Martin Brundle to put a pair of Focal Twins and a pair of PMC TB2S-A's into his teleporting machine

Cheers
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by disjunction View Post
I have listened carefully and have done some critical mixing on Focal Solo's in the last year of so and, have recently had a listen to several of my own mixes on the Focal twins.
The Focal stuff has a great up front mids and sizzling top end character however even the Twin's the bottom end is ordinary compared to the PMC TB2S-A's. Hence people often sight needing the sub.
I have owned a pair of TB2S-A's for 9 months now and find the imaging 3 dimensional and overall balance amazing.
They are much more integrated than Focals. you know when you are listening to the tweeter on Focals it kind of bothers me when you can visualise which driver id feeding you the sound rather than just hearing the sound on the stage.

I'm certainly not dissing them they are great Value and i wouldn't complain about having to mix on them.

We need Martin Brundle to put a pair of Focal Twins and a pair of PMC TB2S-A's into his teleporting machine

Cheers
this shows how personal monitors are. The TB2S-As were, in my opinion, amongst the worst monitors that i have ever heard. I could not hear the grit on distorted guitars and there was an unnatural low-end on those speakers. the guys who heard with me said they would love them as home speakers but could never mix on them.

This is not a definitive statement, just one man's opinion.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search