The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Tape Machine and why? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 31st December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
That's pretty damn cool. I'm sure you'll make many more excellent sounding records with it.

I'm sure our friend Jonathan Pines is happy too.
I like those guys so much. It's part of the selling point for me. I like knowing that if I ever have a problem, I have friends at the company who will take care of me. They are fantastic people, and make a fantastic product.
Old 31st December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Presto 850... oops all sideways photos for some reason.
That is so sexy!
Old 31st December 2017
Lives for gear

You've got to run a mix through this, I want to hear it!

Old 31st December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
I'm remixing some stuff I recorded years ago right now. Drums, bass and rhythm guitar to 2" 16trk 3M M79, and the rest to the 827. There is absolutely nothing about these sounds that are better than anything I record to current digital 96/24 or 96/32. Just not hearing it. And my ITB mix is kicking the crap out of the console mix to 1/2" that I did, too.

I'm guessing you recorded those tracks in one pass or as overdubs/punch-ins without massive sub-bouncing back and forth through the recorder and console along the way.

In which case, I'd have the same vote.

By the way, that's cool about your Studer. I almost bought one of the $25k priced 827s at 2005 Namm when inventory was still stuck at 15 machines.
Old 31st December 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
I like those guys so much. It's part of the selling point for me. I like knowing that if I ever have a problem, I have friends at the company who will take care of me. They are fantastic people, and make a fantastic product.
ABSOLUTELY. I spent a good bit of time with the team members at Welcome to 1979 Summit this year.
Old 1st January 2018
Lives for gear

Just got done modding the console, I installed a custom XLR panel a friend made and moved the mic pres to the rear for easy access, installed venting above and below the pres as well... she is headed to Ken McKim for the next couple months to finish the mods and make sure everything is 100%. After that she’ll make her debut recording. I have a few guys that want to give her a try once everything is ready. Jerry Marotta and I have been talking about doing a series of Columbia 30th street type recordings out of Dreamland... but regardless I have people chomping at the bit to give her a whirl.

A console based on the Shelford modules would be killer. I’d go that route myself JJ if I did what you do. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Tape Machine and why?-77153e94-237e-4fdf-aa2b-3418546ddc05.jpg   Best Tape Machine and why?-7e61a31a-fb5a-4c41-9e62-8194f0cc2d0e.jpg   Best Tape Machine and why?-d81e06a3-c185-4d2f-abd4-675c5b1164dd.jpg  
Old 2nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
You've got to run a mix through this, I want to hear it!

Holy cow. She's a beaut, Clark!
Old 2nd January 2018
Gear Guru

My first serious tape machine was a Crown 800. Awesome machine, don't hear much about them.

Like this one:

Old 2nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Larry, I envy your gear. I wish there were a better market here for that type of room, or that I were rich enough that I could have a room big enough to have both my stuff and your stuff.
Old 2nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
5088 with Shelford modules and some Neve 1073s and 1084s. Probably half and half. I like the Shelford's so much, I would be happy with a full 32 channels of them, but for the comfort of other people using the room, I think 16 channels of 10 series pres and EQs is best for the clients who might use my room.

I love the functionality of the console, aside from the sound. 8 busses should be plenty in this day and age, I dig that the whole thing is class A and transformer balanced. Swift Mix is pretty damn sexy, too.

Like I said, I don't want maintenance, and an old console is definitely that.
Hi JJ,

We're building a new facility here in Portugal (building diary is up in the acoustics section) and the Shelford 5088 is a big contender for our Studio A console.

Are you planning on integrating the 1073 and 1084s on the console itself? Modding the penthouse maybe? Although the RN modules are killer a few 1084s won't hurt in a commercial studio setting and I rather have them on the board instead of the credenza.

Thanks

-Joao
Old 2nd January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Larry, I envy your gear. I wish there were a better market here for that type of room, or that I were rich enough that I could have a room big enough to have both my stuff and your stuff.
That would be a damn fun place to make records.
Old 3rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao B. View Post
Hi JJ,

We're building a new facility here in Portugal (building diary is up in the acoustics section) and the Shelford 5088 is a big contender for our Studio A console.

Are you planning on integrating the 1073 and 1084s on the console itself? Modding the penthouse maybe? Although the RN modules are killer a few 1084s won't hurt in a commercial studio setting and I rather have them on the board instead of the credenza.

Thanks

-Joao
Yes. You can do a penthouse mod to accept those modules. I was originally do 24 Shelfords and 8 Neves, and then I decided to do 16 and 16, just to appease some of the potential clients who haven't yet figured out how awesome the Shelford is.
Old 3rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Snip.....

Swift Mix is pretty damn sexy, too.

Indeed; looks it is done "right"...........congratulations!
Old 3rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes. You can do a penthouse mod to accept those modules. I was originally do 24 Shelfords and 8 Neves, and then I decided to do 16 and 16, just to appease some of the potential clients who haven't yet figured out how awesome the Shelford is.

Great, I'll look into it.

Thanks!
Old 3rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks guys for the kind words and inspiration.

I’m going into doing this just to please myself. This industry is fast becoming a nice part time / hobby business, so I asked myself what would make me happy and stick with the industry... my answer was to travel back in time to the 1960’s.

I’m looking forward to the projects we have lined up for next year... some very well know names will be giving it a try, we hope that inspires more to try.

The head director at the Lincoln Center for Jazz really likes what I’m doing. He has a similar set up based on Fine Recording Studios old tube gear but he won’t have it ready for operation until years from now... so he’s watching what I’m doing with a keen eye.

Anyway, I get more interest in this than mastering these days... I see which way the crow is flying...
Old 3rd January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
An m79 in good shape is a beautiful, punchy thing.
Indeed! Theres somethin pretty magic about the punch off em, and the midrange has gobs of harmonics
Old 4th January 2018
Gear Nut

Dedication. There is simply not a best machine. But there can be YOUR machine, and it will have to be for you to do good , consistent , creative , and sideways work.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Tape Machine and why?-11755e45-5450-44a0-a376-2f45163ea65b.jpg  
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

Apparently good tape machines work better sideways
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurly200 View Post
Multitrack - Studer A800 MkIII
i've been working on a mci jh500/studer a800 mkIII for years - great combo!

however, i guess most of the 'sound' comes from the room/old mics (with less of a high boost) - and most importantly: all those transformers on almost everything!

these are (depending on the board) on mic pre, insert send/return, outboard in/out, direct out, tape in, tape out, maybe again on dynamic in/out, tape return/line in, maybe everything again on subgroups (difficult to achieve with the mci, but can be done) and finally on the master (sorry: 2mix or 4mix) bus.

my nuenedo sounds (almost) the same when used instead of the studer...
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

Here’s a cute little puppy about to hit the shelves... Limited edition portable reel-to-reel recorder to make Munich debut
Old 5th January 2018
Gear Guru

Say what?
Attached Thumbnails
Best Tape Machine and why?-metaxas-gqt-portable-reel-analog-recorder-4.jpg  
Old 5th January 2018
Gear Guru

Its very pretty
Old 12th January 2018
Gear Addict

Studer A80 RC's sound nice indeed, euphonic for sure. If you really want them swinging, get a set of Flux Magnetics heads for them, then they will sound as good or better than most machines,. Dan Zellman NYC informed me their weak spot were the heads, very long lasting, but not the best for sonics
Old 13th January 2018
Gear Maniac
i've owned ampex mm1100 and 1200's, 3m's, mci's, otari, and studer a800's

they were all great sounding decks. all had their particular strengths and downfalls.

i've got a particular affinity for the way my mm1100 sounded, but it was a beast. punch ins were...not enjoyable.

the otari machines were absolute work horses, and rarely had issues.

studer a800 was awesome. even more awesome when i dumped that dolby crap and ran it at 15ips.

the two best sounding machines i have used, but did not own: a studer with a 2" 8 track head, and an old 24 track stephens. both honestly blew me away. not sure what was so special about those stephens machines, but man...the two that i recorded a few records on sounded incredible.

i also still have an affection for the tone of my old faithful otari mx5050 1/2" 8 track. it has a crunch to it that has always been cool. i cut a ton of rock and punk records on that deck back in the day. still have it. hope to set it up if i do setup a new studio. it was always fun to track drums to it then dump into radar or protools to overdub.

ahh...the glory days of tape. not sure i care to go back there. after being out of the game for about 7 years now, i've got a lot of perspective on the whole music biz that i failed to have while i was in it.

one thing i know for sure, the gear only matters so much. i'd take a great band and a great song tracked to a digi 001 over a mediocre band and terrible song tracked to a 2" and mixed on an SSL.

i've done both. the former was always my preference.
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

Old 15th January 2018
Gear Guru

Going through some old pictures and found some more from my first big setup. My basement bedroom in 1981.

Keyboard corner has a Quadra sitting on a Rhodes, next to a Roland 100 modular. AKG BX10 at the bottom of the rack. And my Multivox Multi-Echo that remains in use regularly today.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Tape Machine and why?-81-studio.jpg   Best Tape Machine and why?-81-studio-2.jpg  
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Going through some old pictures and found some more from my first big setup. My basement bedroom in 1981.

Keyboard corner has a Quadra sitting on a Rhodes, next to a Roland 100 modular. AKG BX10 at the bottom of the rack. And my Multivox Multi-Echo that remains in use regularly today.
Cool stuff!
Old 15th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post

That carpet is spectacular!
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
That carpet is spectacular!
Old 15th January 2018
Gear Addict

Not to hijack, but I wish one of you tape aficionados would comment in my thread about my Scully 250-FT, please. I have no clue if this mono-machine compares to a single channel of a 280/280B.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search