The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
If you have the choice on ADC? Digital Converters
View Poll Results: What ADC is your choise from both options.
Weiss ADC2
13 Votes - 76.47%
Crane Song HEDD
4 Votes - 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22nd August 2007
If you have the choice on ADC?

If you have the choice between the Cranesong HEDD and the Weiss ADC2 when looking for a high-end ADC which one would you prefer ?

We want to buy an high end ADC to track our mixes from the analogue SSL to ProTools. The jobs for the ADC will be 50/50 music and Film/TV post-production. We have tested both and have our own opinions but we would love to know what our fellow slutz are thinking.

Kind regards from Belgium

Pedro
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Pedro I haven't heard the Weiss ADC2 however i have compared a Lavry Gold AD122-96 MKIII to the Hedd 192 which i had here briefly.

I really liked the colour controls on the Hedd and would say for adding warmth its one of the best units ive heard. I would recommend the Hedd for that fact alone if you wanted to add some harmonics to your music.

In terms of AD conversion however, although i liked the sound of the Hedd converters, the Lavry had more all round detail and depth.

If i were looking for the best possible AD converter that money can buy, i wouldn't choose the Hedd. I would buy the Hedd soley for the sound of the colour controls, IMHO it would be worth having for that fact alone!

Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kinsey View Post
If i were looking for the best possible AD converter that money can buy, i wouldn't choose the Hedd.

......the Lavry had more all round detail and depth.
I agree.

I have owned the HEDD, Lavry Blue and Lavry Gold. I found both the Blue and Gold preferable to the HEDD...........more accurate reproduction, detail, etc. The Gold is a step up from the (excellent) Blues, both clock and converters.

The HEDD has the distinct Crane Song signature. It rounds slightly, and...........sounds like a HEDD. You've demo'ed it, so I assume you heard this. Be sure you'll like it for all the material you will be running through it. My philosophy for converters is you are looking for accurate reproduction, period.

As a separate matter, I never really liked the ballooning caused by the HEDD knobs. Certainly not a substitute for tape, IMHO.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Weiis any time, no hesitation or second thought.
It is one of the top 3 converters in production now (DCS and lavry Gold being other two).
HEDD is great, but closer to upper quality UA,Lavry Blue or 16X converters.
Old 26th August 2007
I'm sorry, but this is a bump... I would love to see a bit more reactions

Pedro
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Addict

Don't think there are a lot of Weiss owners here on gearslutz.
I've never even seen one, let alone had the oppurtunity to evaluate one.
I know however that in pro world they're considered an absolute must-have

If you had an option for the Lavry converters, I'd have chosen that one.
Between Lavry and the HEDD I just love the modularity and consistent quality of the first.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm in the pro world and I don't consider either the Lavry gold or Weiss a must have.

I don't see the need for $12k ad/da for tracking or mix studios.

Seems to me stuff like that is geared heavily toward mastering. I am sure that stuff sounds phenomenal, but I wouldn't even consider it for anything but mastering.

I do like the HEDD though. Great in my book. I use mine solely for 2mix and 2mix monitoring. I highly suggest it
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

In a comercial studio when a song is tracked and then mixed, it goes through the top equipment money can buy, the mixers alone are worth a fortune not to mention all the other outboard invloved. At this stage in the game it makes no sense at all to print the mix through an AD converter that is not of the finest quality. The AD is the last thing in the chain between all that equipment and the finished Master!!

Many studio's mix through the converters ie: (Console>AD>Computer>DA>Monitors) so that they are hearing the end product. Its very important that the DA has very accurate reproduction otherwise the mixes may not translate well on other systems. Also when using lesser grade DA's some things sound masked, which means other people with good DA's will be able to hear things that you may not of intended.

I get that alot where i hear some songs that have certain sounds which sound a bit harsh or effects with too much resonance, but when you listen in the car stereo you cant hear that harshness anymore. When you mix on a good DA it will sound more or less how you intended it on any system.

Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro_vde View Post
We have tested both and have our own opinions but we would love to know what our fellow slutz are thinking.
what are your opinions? i have a HEDD. never heard the Weiss unit. thanks.
Old 27th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro_vde View Post
We have tested both and have our own opinions but we would love to know what our fellow slutz are thinking.
Yep... if you have heard both let us know what you think.

I had a HEDD 192 few years back and it was really really good. I have not tried the Weiss and as Koed said above, I don't think many folks around here use them. You might want to check in the Mastering forum?

Oh and if I were going to drop that kind of cash on a converter you can bet your a$$ I would try the Lavry Gold as well.
Old 27th August 2007
The reason why we intend to have a high-end AD is as Andrew states that we don't invest in a brand-new SSL AWS900+ to have that great sounding mixes converted to any recorder/DAW by middle-class AD's...

In my personal experience I'm getting a bit frustrated when tweaking for hours until you have that great sound... recording it, and being stuck with the feeling that it's not exactly as you've intended to be... (I won't start about the protools mix-bus and recording into protools - when I have the courage I'll start another thread on that one.)

so we went looking for some decent gear and the reason why I have those choices is because I made an agreement with the guy's at Joystick Audio that sold us our SSL (and some other gear) that we will be shopping in there catalogue... They where so kind to let us have both AD's on demo...

We started to play around... I have to admit that for me personally the choice was made after half an hour on both machines...
Well indeed I know I could not keep our conclusions for ourselves... and I never intended to... ;-) but I was just curious to hear some reactions.

We tested both AD's with different material going from Foley recordings, final music mixes. I did also a mastering of an album with both... As you see, the unit will be used on lots of different kind of jobs and the keywords are transparency and accuracy.

I have to tell you guy's that I had a very bad experience in the past with the hedd when an other studio used to much of those three knobs on a 10 episode mini-series where I recorded the original sound... it sounded crap and they have redone the mix because it was to much... so my personal opinion was a bit blurred... luckely my dear colleague has fresh ears on this issue and I'm glad he came to the same result...

For us personally the Weiss is right for the moment the choice to make. It is hyper-clean and it ads a kind of air to the mixes that I've never experienced with any other AD, and that without compromising the sound of the original analogue mix. Even when going all the way and you'll kick in the on-board compression it's flattering to the source material.

The Hedd sounds nice to, but the emulation is a very tricky thing and due the fact that the knobs are not dented, exact recall of a setting is quite impossible. With the emulation bypassed it does a great job as an AD but nothing more...

The Hedd compared to the Weiss... tss ... It's like comparing a Maybach to a Mercedes I'm afraid. And I know I'm comparing two different things from a different price-range...

Please note that this is our personal opinion in the line of what we are planning to do with this AD (mostly post-production jobs for TV and Film, added with some music mixing and/or mastering)

But anyway thanks for the replies and the opinions...

Pedro
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

not quite on topic but ...

Consider auditioning the Digital Audio Denmark AX24 DA.
Own the AX24 and can't image using anything else.
Old 28th August 2007
member no 666

This is really quite an amazing marketing referendum... much like the TEC awards I dare say the vast majority of the voters here will be working from "reputation" rather than actual comparison.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search