The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
John Hardy Mic Pre Question Summing Mixers
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

John Hardy Mic Pre Question

I own a mid 80’s MCI JH636. As much as there are so many nay sayers about the console, it works for me and I’m happy with it, with one glaring exception; the mic pre’s are absolutely horrible (toms sound like a duck that has just been shot). So I use mostly outboard pre’s (API 312’s and a racked pair of Neve’s). I’ve been considering getting some of the John Hardy pre’s that can be swapped out for the MCI pre’s on the channel strips. Have any of you guys used these and what were your thoughts? I’ve heard that they are very transparent, which may be a nice contrast to the color of my API & Neve pre’s. So, what say you?
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Nut

I put a pair of them in my 636. They are trasparent, nice pres. MUCH better than the stock MCI (duh). I have a pair of API 512c that I use a lot and I think the Hardys go well with them.

Unfortunately they took a while to get and I wasn't happy with the service I got. Otherwise I'd buy more.
Old 27th August 2007
Yup. The Hardy stuff is very cool. I believe you can also find pres by Avalon and API that fit in those desks.

Also look into the Forsell stuff. I remember hearing that he was making some really cool tube (!!!) stuff for those boards.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Also, ask Jim Williams about his Audio Upgrades transformerless preamp for the MCI. I have an older 400 series console. I am not at all unhappy with the pres, consequently. They sound fantastic to me, only, I don't need 32 of them. I am considering 4 Hardy's down the line as well as 4 Audio Upgrades. The latter are very inexpensive.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

I had an MCI 416 with one chan upgraded to John Hardy. I used that chan for just about everything I could. Had I kept the board, I would have had another chan or so upgraded.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search