The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BEST way to A/B Aurora and Rosetta in logic? Can they be used together? Audio Interfaces
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

BEST way to A/B Aurora and Rosetta in logic? Can they be used together?

Hi,
I've seen quite a few great A/B test techniques here. I'd like to enlist the help of the experts here to devise the best setup and techniques for comparing the Lynx Aurora 8 to the Rosetta 800 with a Big Ben included in the chain. I would also like to use them together to track/mix regularly using Logic Pro.

Here is the gear being used for this setup....

1) Single 1.8 G5s -4 gigs ram. (Logic)
2) Macbook pro 2.1 -2 gigs ram (logic)
3) RME FF800
4) Rosetta 800, Big Ben, Symphony mobile.
5) Aurora 8 with AES16 PCI card (for G5 1.8 use) and FW card coming (for remote use with Macbook pro).
6) Fulcrom summing box.
7)(not directly relevant) Mackie onyx, Mbox 1, M-audio 2496, Logic Control, Lots of outboard patched into 2 patch bays, Blue Sky system 1- 2.1 monitors, NS-10 monitors, Many More Macs,

The simplest ways I have thought of to compare the Aurora and Rosetta is perhaps........

Put the AES16 card into the G5 and connect the Aurora.
Put the the symphony into the Macbook Pro and connect to the Rosetta.
Connect the outs for both to the summing box and switch between sets of outs to the mains with the box.
To REALLY compare them, I guess people would have to hear the source in the room, than playback the the captured audio on the same device to compare how well represented the source material is. Than do the same with the other system.
Or better yet some type of mult so I can use the same performance going to both systems.
For the less thorough, I can just pump the same file through both to show D/A.

I can also connect both units lightpipe ports to the FF800 (if I don't have to X/mux). (I have another FF I can grab for more connections).
The separate computer setup in the first example may be the best of these ideas for A/B, but for a permanent working setup with them both used in Logic on the (faster) Laptop preferably............. Hmmmmm??

Has anyone used both together?

Will they work as an aggregate device together?

What would be better? or best?

Many Thanks,
SG
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

one way to use them together is to use a lightbridge and get an Adar card for the aurora.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks Barry,
I have a second Fireface in storage, I am going to give that a try when I can get to it.

Cheers,
SG

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search