The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chandler Zener Limiter VS. TG1
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Chandler Zener Limiter VS. TG1

Anyone have both? Is it worth it to get rid of the TG1 for the Zener, or just save up for both? I know the gearslutz way is to get both but I'm wondering if the Zener can do exactly what the TG1 does plus more, or if it's a completely different sound, even at comparable settings... Thanks
Old 21st August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrogantbastard View Post
Anyone have both? Is it worth it to get rid of the TG1 for the Zener, or just save up for both? I know the gearslutz way is to get both but I'm wondering if the Zener can do exactly what the TG1 does plus more, or if it's a completely different sound, even at comparable settings... Thanks
Then answer is the worst case scenario. They are very similar, but not exactly the same. When you set them identially, meaning with tones and very carefull matching attack and release by checking the manual for the times, you can learn to hear the difference in just a couple of A/Bs. From there, it's a taste issue and one that I currently can't answer for myself.

There are obviously more features on the Zener. Generally, my Zener gets used drastically differently than my TG-1 and the difference is not something I can accurately explain.
Old 22nd July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
When you set them identially, meaning with tones and very carefull matching attack and release by checking the manual for the times, you can learn to hear the difference in just a couple of A/Bs. From there, it's a taste issue and one that I currently can't answer for myself.

There are obviously more features on the Zener. Generally, my Zener gets used drastically differently than my TG-1 and the difference is not something I can accurately explain.
OK, fair enough heh
In that case; can you give some examples of situations/instruments and the choice (between Zener and TG1) you make?
Old 22nd July 2008
Lives for gear
don't have the TG1 but we were just tracking and the Zener lived happily on the stereo room mic for days. it really is great. used it on the limit (farichild-like) setting, no high pass - so for this i'd guess the TG1 would do the trick.

come mixing time i can easily see using it on parallel drums, with hi pass activated.

hope this helps a little.
Old 23rd July 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gie-Sound View Post
OK, fair enough heh
In that case; can you give some examples of situations/instruments and the choice (between Zener and TG1) you make?
I go for the TG-1 when I'm really hitting something hard and the Zener when I want to either be softer or the the sweet spot is really narrow.

I often track vocals with the TG-1 and use the Zaner on my vocal subgroup when mixing.

I use the Zener in front of the TG-1 on drum room mics and then oddly, I usually use the same Zener settings on that vocal subgroup. I don't change it much.
Old 24th July 2008
Lives for gear

Mike,

Just read your TapeOp review again, in wich you write:
Quote:
the TG12413 had a little buzzy tone at the top of the low end. It didn’t distort as smoothly as the TG1. An analogy would be along the lines of the way a Fender or a VOX amp might distort compared to a Triple Rectifier, with the TG12413 being the Fender/VOX and the TG1 being the Triple Rec. The differences were smaller when I slowed the release time on the TG12413 from 1 to (1).
Since I can't demo both units over here I am very curious about your findings. How much of a difference is there when you set the Zener with the exact same settings as the TG1? Would you be able to tell wich one is wich in a blind test?

(In other words; is the Zener able to sound exactly the same as the TG1, and also capable of different sounds? Or is it very close to the TG1, while also capable of different sounds?)

Did anyone else try them side by side?
Old 25th July 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gie-Sound View Post
Mike,

Just read your TapeOp review again, in wich you write:

Since I can't demo both units over here I am very curious about your findings. How much of a difference is there when you set the Zener with the exact same settings as the TG1? Would you be able to tell wich one is wich in a blind test?

(In other words; is the Zener able to sound exactly the same as the TG1, and also capable of different sounds? Or is it very close to the TG1, while also capable of different sounds?)

Did anyone else try them side by side?
Their fundamental tones are different. It's not drastic, but I could pick them 100% of the time when set up properly.

I think the was I did it was in THD mode and balanced them with tones and then ran a variety of things through them.

If I had to choose just one, I'd have a really hard time. The Zener is easier to use/finesse. The TG-1 is exceptionally cool. They get equal use.
Old 25th July 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks Mike,

I just ordered a TG1. I have been able to work with a TG1 once, and it scored the first place on my wishlist right away. Since I haven't got a chance to try the Zener I was wondering about the sonic differences. (The extra features, more flexible setup of the Zener is clear).

Thanks for your info!
Old 1st September 2008
Lives for gear

Got it, and so far I am very happy with it!
Old 1st September 2008
Lives for gear

Got it, and so far I am very happy with it!

(thanks again for the info)
Old 2nd November 2008
Lives for gear

hey man.....you still lovin your TG-1? i heard the drums in 'come together' again today and my interest was resparked in this comp/lim.....the new oasis record has some nice drum sounds too....weather or not the TG-1 was involved....not sure......anyway - i would love to hear your thoughts.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search