The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blue Bottle Vs. CM7-GT samples. Condenser Microphones
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Blue Bottle Vs. CM7-GT samples.

Hi there.

I just got the CM7-GT over the weekend and on sunday I invited my friend over who owns a blue bottle with the Large Diaphragm card capsule.

I wanted a frame of reference for this mic. The intent was to match as closely as was needed to notice a difference between the mics. It was easy to hear the tone of each mic with little effort so we did not need to match the performances exactly.

we had limited time and i no longer have the blue bottle here. I'm not going to apologise for the background noise or that the performances vary because this is what we got in the limited time and its better for you guys than nothing at all!

The vocal is my wife and she is 5+ months pregnant and having trouble with her normally wonderful voice.

I will tell you which mic is which after some comments but i do not expect you to guess unless you have prior experience with one of these! I prefer to hear which mike you LIKE more and WHY..

In summary, both mics are very useable.. for me, my cm7-gt has more "mojo" and imparts something really nice to the source, whereas the blue is more, what you hear is what you get more or less but no flattery. All samples were recorded about 1ft away from the mics, the vocals with a pop filter, and the gain on the preamps was matched as well as we were able to. The pre for the vocals was the pacifica and for the guitar it was a pair of TG channels with no eq.

I'm not going to make any specific comments on character as that might give the mic away.. keep in mind the blue is significantly more expensive than the wunder, but that makes their closeness all the more great to me the owner of the less expensive mic.. i believe there is a second one for a pair in my future! Happy listening.. guitar samples to come next...
Attached Files

A Vocal Solo.mp3 (1.28 MB, 845 views)

B Vocal Solo.mp3 (1.28 MB, 663 views)

A Vocal with Backing.mp3 (1.28 MB, 496 views)

B Vocal with Backing.mp3 (1.28 MB, 460 views)

Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Here is the guitar..

oh and one final comment. i'm not going to claim to have mixed in the mics to the backing track for the vocals.. they are just there.. this is not the final vocal in either case just a scratch and these tracks have a lot to do before mixing..

Also, gain adjustment to match was done in the daw, so as not to change the coloration at all..
Attached Files

A acoustic guitar.mp3 (967.1 KB, 401 views)

B acoustic guitar.mp3 (967.1 KB, 447 views)

Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

Well I liked 'A' for vocals, and 'B' for acoustic guitar.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear
A vocals nice tone to
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

For Vocals, I'd say that the CM7-GT is Vocal A. This assumes you have the CM7 capsule in it.

Your wife has a lovely voice, no need for excuses, although I thoroughly understand the urge to when you're posting "unprocessed" files for other music professionals to hear.

How about a male voice? Even if you can't sing, it would be great to hear (any chance in getting that Blue Bottle back for an hour or so heh?

Thanks for taking the time to post these samples !
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

For acoustic guitar I prefer A. It would sit better in a mix, sample B would require more EQ. My guess is that the CM7-GT is acoustic guitar sample B, the Blue Bottle is sample A.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

these are all good guesses and thoughts on the samples. I think i will wait until tonight or tomorrow depending on the activity on this thread to post the answers..

I will tell you one thing though.. B is always one mic and A is always the other.

When we did the tests we did them blind and i could match the tonalities between the guitar and vocal samples to know they both came from the same mic, but then again i know what the sources sounded like in the room so its an unfair advantage.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshorephatty View Post
I will tell you one thing though.. B is always one mic and A is always the other.
Jeez, now I'm really curious.

The CM7-GT is with the M7 capsule, correct?
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

Are you using cardiod in all samples?

Also, another request from male vocals .
Old 21st August 2007
Jai guru deva om

What capsule is on the BLUE Bottle?

There are 9 of them...!

War
Old 21st August 2007
Here for the gear

i like B on acoustic guitar because it seem more high ending and open to me.

however i do like the vocals with B also except when s's are hit depending on the singer it might be a little to much for this perticular singer.

A seems a little duller and less open to me but they both sound good.

i think a reminds me more of my u87 because of the lack of high end like the B mic has.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

we really need to know which capsule you used on the blue bottle. they all sound different and it would not be fair to compare the bottle with the b6, b0 or b3 capsules to the wunder mic. now if you we using the b7 caspule...that would be something to talk about.

ej
Old 21st August 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
What capsule is on the BLUE Bottle?

There are 9 of them...!

War
yep
which one?
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Guys,

sorry for the confusion on the Blue, i'm not entirely sure of the capsule, but i know it was card, and large diaphragm (about the same dia as the GT)

I need to ask my buddy which capsule he has (he only has one) but he's out tonight and i don't have a cell for him. I'm almost certain he told me it is the B6 though.. how certain? i would say 85% but what good is that? I have to make sure tomorrow.

This is probably going to let the cat out of the bag right here, but here is another sample we recorded on this song again today.. My wife was much more up to it and the performance is much better.. a little closer on distance.. there is a bit of processing on this, but not much.. just a little delay.. a little software compression (a db or two off the poppy out bits)..

It certainly needs some automation but its much closer than the other sample but its intended as a rough track and a rough mix. I'm just trying to feel out the mic right now.

I will hopefully be able to put up a male vocal soon. I do sing, although i don't feel terribly well. I doubt i will have the blue back in here any time soon.

I guess now you will all know which is which right?? we'll see..
Attached Files

Push Me Away (rough voc).mp3 (4.42 MB, 358 views)

Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Oh, and sorry.

yes, the M7 capsule in my CM7-GT

I wouldn't want it any brighter, i like a more classic sound anyways. This delivers that in spades! now we just have to figure out proper positioning and learn the mic..
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Hey,

I just talked to my friend Mike, he called me and I asked what capsule the blue bottle had.

he told me that when he purchased the mic which was several years ago the capsule he has was the standard capsule with the mic, can anyone shed any light on this? He thinks its probably the B6, but he's not entirely sure, he's only certain it was the capsule that came with the bottle when he bought it and that its Large Dia and Cardioid.. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshorephatty View Post
He thinks its probably the B6, but he's not entirely sure, he's only certain it was the capsule that came with the bottle when he bought it
yup
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Okay.. Not to leave you hanging too long (sorry).

A - Wunder CM7-GT
B - Blue Bottle with B6

After the test the only question worth asking had an answer... If i could keep either mic and not sell it which one would it be... For me the CM7-GT.
Old 19th March 2008
Lives for gear

I know this is an old thread, and I appreciate the comparisons, but I gotta say I think this shootout is pretty useless. It sounds like your wife is singing from the next room over from where the mic is placed (great voice though!)

In my experience, you need to work the bottle close on lead vocals, otherwise it sounds pretty boring and and you don't do it justice.

These samples are just not at all what the bottle with b6 sounds like when recorded closer to the source. Honestly, it's night and day.

I'm looking at getting a CM7 next month in addition to the bottle, so I'll have both side by side, and I'll maybe post some samples here..

I love the bottle, it's a great mic with a lot of versatility.
Old 19th March 2008
Jai guru deva om

The B6 capsule is modeled after the AKG C12 also, a bit of an apples and oranges comparison here to put it lightly.

The B7 would have been a comparison of two capsules claiming to be in the same family of sound at least.

War
Old 19th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
The B6 capsule is modeled after the AKG C12 also, a bit of an apples and oranges comparison here to put it lightly.
War
That's very true also. An apples to oranges demo can also be useful, I just couldn't get past the proximity issue in those clips.

BTW, I bought an spl transducer from you guys a while back, great service..
Old 20th March 2008
Lives for gear
Just FYI about the CM7...If you're interested in the big, fat, ballsy sound of a 47, ask the dealer or Mike about getting a CM7 with a pico farad value of around 80 to 85...otherwise, it has a little more 2-5khz and it makes it sound smaller on the bottom end. They all sound great, but after trying a bunch of different capsules, this is the conclusion myself and several others on GS's have come to. Mike mentioned that he might be using the darker V15's like this as the standard capsule from this point forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
I know this is an old thread, and I appreciate the comparisons, but I gotta say I think this shootout is pretty useless. It sounds like your wife is singing from the next room over from where the mic is placed (great voice though!)

In my experience, you need to work the bottle close on lead vocals, otherwise it sounds pretty boring and and you don't do it justice.

These samples are just not at all what the bottle with b6 sounds like when recorded closer to the source. Honestly, it's night and day.

I'm looking at getting a CM7 next month in addition to the bottle, so I'll have both side by side, and I'll maybe post some samples here..

I love the bottle, it's a great mic with a lot of versatility.
Old 20th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Just FYI about the CM7...If you're interested in the big, fat, ballsy sound of a 47, ask the dealer or Mike about getting a CM7 with a pico farad value of around 80 to 85...otherwise, it has a little more 2-5khz and it makes it sound smaller on the bottom end. They all sound great, but after trying a bunch of different capsules, this is the conclusion myself and several others on GS's have come to. Mike mentioned that he might be using the darker V15's like this as the standard capsule from this point forward.
Hi John,

Thanks for the info. I have been following your mic trials and tribulations

I know that on the VK site, there is mention of some people feeling that the V15's sounded "smaller" than the 17. Did you get the chance to try both?
Personally I would be looking for smoothness and dimension with a full body. (sounds like I'm ordering coffee ) - the sound usually associated with a U47. I don't wan't something brighter at the expense of bottom end body or dimension.
Old 20th March 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
Hi John,

Thanks for the info. I have been following your mic trials and tribulations

I know that on the VK site, there is mention of some people feeling that the V15's sounded "smaller" than the 17. Did you get the chance to try both?
Personally I would be looking for smoothness and dimension with a full body. (sounds like I'm ordering coffee ) - the sound usually associated with a U47. I don't wan't something brighter at the expense of bottom end body or dimension.
I guess you're referring to the CM7 page on VK where it said:

Although this version (V15) was extremely very well received occasionally someone would compare the CM7 to a later U47 (after ser no. 1000) and found the U47 warmer.

The V17's I tried were dark...too dark. The darker V15's (80-83pF) sounded like vintage U47's to me. Fantastic. They are smooth as silk and honestly, I wouldn't want the sound any darker. The original CM7 V15 that I had was 87.5pF - which was honestly much too bright for my tastes. I would say ask for one between 80-83pf and you will be VERY happy...
Old 20th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
I guess you're referring to the CM7 page on VK where it said:

Although this version (V15) was extremely very well received occasionally someone would compare the CM7 to a later U47 (after ser no. 1000) and found the U47 warmer.

The V17's I tried were dark...too dark. The darker V15's (80-83pF) sounded like vintage U47's to me. Fantastic. They are smooth as silk and honestly, I wouldn't want the sound any darker. The original CM7 V15 that I had was 87.5pF - which was honestly much too bright for my tastes. I would say ask for one between 80-83pf and you will be VERY happy...
Right, yes. They were comparing warmth, not "bigness". I'll take your suggestion when ordering, as that's pretty much what I'm looking for in a U47 .
Old 20th March 2008
Lives for gear
I just read the CM7 page again and noticed that he says the V17's vary from 78-83pF and the V15 ranges from 88-93pF...I guess you can take all of that with a grain of salt because I ended up with a V15 at 80pF...All I know is that I'm really happy with it, and if I never learn another thing about pico farads I'll be happy...heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search