The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digi upgrade delay?
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

Digi upgrade delay?

Ok, so I bought PT 7.0 last year and 1 month and 2 days later they brought out 7.3 which voided my chance at getting the upgrade free.

I decided to wait untill the next paid upgrade but it's been a year and nothing yet.

This suggests Digidesign are up to something as they usually have two paid upgrades by now.

Anyone have any idea whats going on?
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

It's HD by the way.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

So here's my question for you: would you rather pay attention or your hard-earned money? Don't be an early adopter. Wait and see how it all pans out.

HD, LE or MP, it matters not which version of 'Tools you're running. If you need to upgrade, and don't qualify for a free one, you'll pay. The software is not expensive at all...it's the hardware that costs good money, which is why digi offers hardware exchanges. Unfortunately, to take advantage of them, you have to plan for your gear's "obsolescence", and move "up" before your stuff is worthless and you have to buy in from square one.
Me, I'm still using my oo2 and 6.4 with a G4 (I did get the 6.9 disc I was entitled to before my time ran out, though, so I'm covered and have an alternative if I should need it). It's paid for, it works, and will continue to be supported for a while. I'll upgrade my rig when PT needs an OS that my host will have issues with. A new computer, new interface and new version of PT, all at the same time. Not Bleeding edge of technology new, but just behind the curve. (For instance, the current 8 processor MacPro and whichever version of LE uses all the chips...7.1 under x.4.8? check on the DUC). Call me crazy, but that's how I think it's supposed to be done.

As far as predictions, digi might bring out new software, plug-ins or hardware at AES. Or all of them. And possibly none of them. Depends how much they've played around with the Intel Macs, and how much possibility they see in the source code with those new processors...and whether they want to or need to do anything about it.

Last edited by kooz; 21st August 2007 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: regained my train of thought after the phone interrupted me
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Well, we've been promised Vista support this summer, which is an indication of a new version, but not necessarily a paid one. They have also been very outspoken about elastic audio which is an indication as well since Digidesign usually don't talk about their upcoming products.

FWIW though I think 7.3 was a great upgrade and well worth the money.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search