The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Getting those acoustics right Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 21st August 2007
Getting those acoustics right

Construction > Hidden Barn Recording Studio, Big Sur Custom Building

great place to engineer
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

whoa
that's beautiful, man.
Old 21st August 2007
Old 21st August 2007
Great live DAW --works perfectly for this producer
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

i wouldn't really refer to a Roland 2480 as a "DAW" myself, but hey i have heard some good stuff done on them so for the hobbiest it's quite good.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre View Post
i wouldn't really refer to a Roland 2480 as a "DAW" myself, but hey i have heard some good stuff done on them so for the hobbiest it's quite good.
DAW is a Digital Audio Workstation, why aren't the Rolands DAWs?
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

Nice space,...Gear is questionable.....
Old 21st August 2007
The Roland is the reason I got the gigthumbsup All our Recording Studios run on the VS DAW ..this particular studio had a the choice of any gear on the market ..the Roland won for its portability and all in one setup and the quality of the last CD I mastered there. Never had a complaint yet --I have had my studio adorned with Roland gear > since the first 880. Coming from my "non-hobbiest" tape days, in the 70/80's, the VS 2480 wins hands down. We looked at the RADAR but, way too much external gear to purchase/connect. This is live recording spot..we want to plug & play. The only external pre ~ is a Manley I bring for the U89 ~ on the vocal track. We run a Masterlink 24 bit ~ during the sessions, also . I pop out the external swapable drive setup and on to my studio for mixing/finals. .
Old 21st August 2007
Nice place to spend a few days ..heading down this morning for more "listening/ evaluating" of the latest session
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
The Roland is the reason I got the gigthumbsup All our Recording Studios run on the VS DAW ..this particular studio had a the choice of any gear on the market ..the Roland won for its portability and all in one setup and the quality of the last CD I mastered there. Never had a complaint yet --I have had my studio adorned with Roland gear > since the first 880. Coming from my "non-hobbiest" tape days, in the 70/80's, the VS 2480 wins hands down. We looked at the RADAR but, way too much external gear to purchase/connect. This is live recording spot..we want to plug & play. The only external pre ~ is a Manley I bring for the U89 ~ on the vocal track. We run a Masterlink 24 bit ~ during the sessions, also . I pop out the external swapable drive setup and on to my studio for mixing/finals. .
well then i'm glad to hear it's working out for you. i guess i commented because while the studio looks to be highend for sure, the "DAW" isn't

i've used loads of roland starting from the 880 to the 2480.it's good for what it is but is SO cumbersome and hideously slow in the editing dept, there's no way it would work for me or others i know that have to do edits on the fly. also not a great fan of rdac and vs converters but for "live" you're right, it's pretty hard to beat as long as you're not creating new songs (files) for each live take. just loading up a song and "saving" in a vs is an agonizingly slow process. one thing i'll give the vs' is that they're very stable, right out of the box, so there's value there.

if i had to use one everyday, i'd have to get a v-fire or dif-at and ditch the roland coverters but that's just me-good deals on much better converters out there than rolands
Old 22nd August 2007
Haven't really experienced another DAW ~~ better than the VS --not sure what editing you take on --we do very little. Maybe punches and individual channel tweaks ? The Roland is so much faster than the tape days I am coming from. ( the studio next store is equipped with a 24 2in ...way too slow for me ) We use a SEK'd 2496 for our converter. The clients, whose CD's we have produced exclusively with the 2480 DAW, have been more than happy. And we always stay busy. Maybe it's just the remote area we live in. Never seen a PT system at work...probably over kill for the productions & too costly> to pass on to our clients. I for one, would not want to learn a new system. So the VS will remain the heart of all of our studios. Probably be retired by the time the VS is inoperative. Don't even have a computer in my recording studio.

April/May Project Ryan David Orr: My Fair February Notable Shimmer & Grin
Old 22nd August 2007
AUDIO HOMBRE thanks >>> the V FIRE looked interesting -- but ~ never having used a PC for editing music ~ not sure how the software could improve the product myself & clients enjoy via the VS DAW. Maybe because the features are there >> one does more editing ?? Never had a client ask for more than whats onboard the ROLAND. I know, too "old school"........

Ruff tracks June /JulyHIDDEN BARN
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
probably over kill for the productions & too costly> to pass on to our clients. I for one, would not want to learn a new system.
Way to be honest with yourself. I wish more people thought that way.
Old 22nd August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
Way to be honest with yourself. I wish more people thought that way.
Very expensive to live around here ---and already at the top of my hourly > pushing on the edge. ($1000 a song ) SO, I have to be realistic with myself and the market. Plus I sold my Karma > and most of my Brain < in the 70's ~ when I needed cash for my first studios.
Old 22nd August 2007
Quote:
SO cumbersome and hideously slow in the editing dept, there's no way it would work for me or others i know that have to do edits on the fly. as long as you're not creating new songs (files) for each live take. just loading up a song and "saving" in a vs is an agonizingly slow process. h
Maybe thats why my invoices are always so high, to the client -- that extra time adds a few $$ over the course of days session I have a special section for just backups, on the contract---that early SCSI external HD >> and just to copy one song to another partition :: does take considerable time. The Roland proprietary system has us ( and our clients ) by the --it would take years to copy the each 48 track song over to a PC based system.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
AUDIO HOMBRE thanks >>> the V FIRE looked interesting -- but ~ never having used a PC for editing music ~ not sure how the software could improve the product myself & clients enjoy via the VS DAW. Maybe because the features are there >> one does more editing ?? Never had a client ask for more than whats onboard the ROLAND. I know, too "old school"........

[/URL]
not "software" bro, but a hardware device that has been finally been made to interface with Rolands (typical) proprietary R-BUS.If you're not even using a computer, then this is moot

but i'd still use the AT-DIF to come into the roland via the r-bus, via better external converters, i.e RME, Apogee Rosetta 800, Aurora etc etc blah blah blah.

the SEK'D conversion you're using, I'll assume is more for D/A as i think it's simply a 2 ch unit.if you're "tracking live off the floor" then i'll assume you're tracking bands thereby using the analog in's of the roland. with the AT-DIF, and an external 8 ch converter, you'll be able to bypass 8 ch's of roland a/d thereby opening up your world to higher fi .
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

Use what you can use well... In my short time recording in various venues I have found that the space is 95% of the sound put to media. So you need look no further than this thread to illustrate my point. If people would spend time getting the space sounding right, the gear could stay very minimal in terms of performance.
Please elaborate on any enhacements made to this room - I am curious about why lies under that roof.
Patrick
Old 23rd August 2007
Quote:

but i'd still use the AT-DIF to come into the roland via the r-bus, via better external converters, i.e RME, Apogee Rosetta 800, Aurora etc etc blah blah blah.

the SEK'D conversion you're using, I'll assume is more for D/A as i think it's simply a 2 ch unit.if you're "tracking live off the floor" then i'll assume you're tracking bands thereby using the analog in's of the roland. with the AT-DIF, and an external 8 ch converter, you'll be able to bypass 8 ch's of roland a/d thereby opening up your world to higher fi .
In my studio we use the SEK'd > A to D < via our Manley DVC for 2 channels --the RBUS handles the effects digitally ...But, don't think adding a converter would make a noticeable difference for the live stuff from the Hidden Barn. The guitars and bass go direct ...vocals through the DVC & the piano/percussion direct to the 'sufficient' VS pres. We use about 16 channels and just keep our gains and placement of mics in order.... bring the tracks back to our studio to master/edit. We use a Masterlink for the final .
Old 23rd August 2007
Quote:
not "software" bro, but a hardware device that has been finally been made to interface with Rolands (typical) proprietary R-BUS.If you're not even using a computer, then this is moot

[I.
Thanks AUDIO HOMBRE ~~~ Saw the hardware link -- but, it would takes years to move 48 tracks, of each song, via the limited 16 channel Rbus > V Fire > to a PC software ... and another 3 years learning the software to edit the tracks. As I said, lucky for us no one seems to need editing beyond what the VS can produce. We don't even view waves.....the Roland is a glorified tape deck. A client can only hear a "difference" if both systems are up & running in our studio ~~ to A/B.

SO you have a $5+k Roland system @ $XX per hr and a $30+K PT system @ $XXXX per hr to offer.....guaranteed our market of clients would select the cheaper -- their ears are not that sophisticated (not sure I could hear ) to warrant the extra cash to track differently. Our studios are profit : before gear {gave up the Slutz days in 70/80's }

Maybe you have discerning clients that are willing to foot the bigger bill or just more demanding for their tell-tale ears.
Old 23rd August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Use what you can use well... In my short time recording in various venues I have found that the space is 95% of the sound put to media. So you need look no further than this thread to illustrate my point. If people would spend time getting the space sounding right, the gear could stay very minimal in terms of performance.
Please elaborate on any enhacements made to this room - I am curious about why lies under that roof.
Patrick

Thats the bass player from Spyro Gyra --Rippington Kim Stone
Old 23rd August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Patrick
I have very minimal equipment -- sold all the vintage gear, etc >> its the room and how you record that performance ~~ and approach the artist budget with their expectations ~~that work for us.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice place to spend a few days ..heading down this morning for more "listening/ evaluating" of the latest session
This is high end.
Old 23rd August 2007
One of the finest I have engineered for :: with a smile all day

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search