The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How do schoeps mics deal with music??? Condenser Microphones
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

How do schoeps mics deal with music???

I have a schoeps cmc6 w/ mk41 capsole for film applications

I was wondering

How well does it work with music? Like, recording vocals, acoustic guitars, guitar cabs, etc.

anyone ever tried it?
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackdude View Post
I have a schoeps cmc6 w/ mk41 capsole for film applications

I was wondering

How well does it work with music? Like, recording vocals, acoustic guitars, guitar cabs, etc.

anyone ever tried it?
It sounds wonderful. The MK4 might be better suited for all-around recording than the 41, though if the pickup pattern isn't too tight for what you're trying to capture, it's great. The beauty of the collette series is that you can match the capsule to the music you're recording.

BTW-

IF you ever decide to get rid of the MK41, lemme know. I have 3 MK4s and would love to swap one (with the appropriate cash to make it worth your while) for a 41 for film work.
Old 21st August 2007
mas
Gear Nut

As you may have already noticed, the newer Schoeps mics (Colette, CCM) have a very neutral and very detailed "sound" - or better said, they don´t really have a sound at all.
For my taste, they are very usable for classical music (I esp. like the MK2H omni cap) because they don´t colour the sound of the source and give a good representation of what´s being there, so in this application one cannot really go wrong with them.
But I never felt inclined to use them in "popular" music, although I own a stereo pair Colettes. For my taste they are a bit clinical and unattractive just because they don´t have a pleasing sound/flavour of their own. (I associate them with destilled water, vintage tube Schoeps being mineral water, LDC´s being different wines, ect...)

But unless you have other mics of equal quality, I think you may like it. Simply try it yourself - then you will immediately know!
Old 21st August 2007
member no 666

I have never met a Schoeps mic I didn't like... there are at times things I like better... but for the most part, everything they've ever made is wonderfully musical [or at least in my experience... YMMV].
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
I have never met a Schoeps mic I didn't like...
I agree whole-heartedly. I own a pair of Collettes, and a pair of vintage CMT34s, and they never fail to put a smile on my face. I've even used the CMTs on vocals to excellent affect! Although, as mentioned in previous reply, the MK41 might not be the perfect capsule type for normal studio work.
Old 21st August 2007
Trp
Gear Addict

Absolutely beautiful for grand piano, jazz OHs, acc. guitar, strings, main stereo micing, spot mics...

I think part of the reason they work so well is their smooth off axis response / frequency curve.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

No other microphone manufacturer has as many specialized variants of their microphone capsules as Schoeps...there are 20 different small capsules for their modular series.

Unlike others who put a low cut on the mic...Schoeps makes capsules with LF rolloff...so the unwanted LF never makes it to the pre-amp...as opposed to cutting it after it may have overloaded the front end.

4 Omnis
2 SubCardiod
6 Cardiod
3 Supercardiod
2 Switchable
1 Bi-directional...fig8
2 boundary layer

BTW...the best is never cheap..its an investment in your tools for success
Old 21st August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eganmedia View Post
It sounds wonderful. The MK4 might be better suited for all-around recording than the 41.
I agree.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search