The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
703 Panels Modular Synthesizers
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Head

703 Panels

Does anyone know where I can find these?

Any tips on using them as overhangs in drums booths both iso and clearsonic?
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Your location would be helpful.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 20th August 2007
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Head

I live in Florida, Tallahasee to be more specific.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
Thanks!

BTW, Is there any other diffusion/absorbtion materials you would recommend?
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks!

BTW, Is there any other diffusion/absorbtion materials you would recommend?
I'll let Ethan,Glenn or someone more qualified chime in on that.

BTW
Call the Lake Bluff store and talk to Mike ( I think) they do home theater installs for the North Shore richies, they design all kinds of absorbers etc. and from what he said at the time they were the only SPI that's was actively doing this, the rest just push product. Maybe he'll have something else you might be interested in.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Head

Rock wool/mineral wool performs very similar to 703. It is of similar density, but much cheaper. You wont find it at a local hardware store or Home Depot. Call a local insulation dealer. I can get it from a place down here in Orlando, so I'm sure it can be had up there...

Check out Fibrex Insulation Inc.

Good luck,

Jon
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

Please read up on F. Alton Everest "master handbook of acoustics" as doing something like this is akin to recording a concert with a mic in your shirt becasue you heard you needed a mic to record concerts. !?!
Using diffusion and absortion can yield wonderful results...
The space between the sealed layer and the 703 is just as critical as the 703. Simply putting 703 panels everywhere does virtually nothing. Also keep in mind that anything worthwhile will be pretty heavy and careful consideration for mounting (especially OVERHEAD) is needed (if you value your head).
Rock on drummer boy...
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

I am almost certain "Roxul's" "Safe and Sound" insulation has VERY similar
acoustic properties to 703 - I compared specs a while back.

I use it - works great!

Got mine at Home Depot.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

First it depends on how much you need.
If only several cartons then ATS acoustics sell it.
If say $1500.00 worth could order from a large wholesale and they may even deliver for free.
Rock works just as well but keep in mind the cutting aspect, 703 is very easy to cut and holds an edge.
Rock wool is a bit of a mess to cut.
I used rock wool as the first layer and 703 as the finished layer and worked great. If you need several inches of absorption.
Rock wool is also less money.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Head

THanks, I'll look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Kraft View Post
Rock wool/mineral wool performs very similar to 703. It is of similar density, but much cheaper. You wont find it at a local hardware store or Home Depot. Call a local insulation dealer. I can get it from a place down here in Orlando, so I'm sure it can be had up there...

Check out Fibrex Insulation Inc.

Good luck,

Jon
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Head

Im thinking of trying diffrent thickness levels till I find the perfect combinations that will suit my live room. Should I leave a space between the panels and the wall? I've seen people do this, Should I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio View Post
First it depends on how much you need.
If only several cartons then ATS acoustics sell it.
If say $1500.00 worth could order from a large wholesale and they may even deliver for free.
Rock works just as well but keep in mind the cutting aspect, 703 is very easy to cut and holds an edge.
Rock wool is a bit of a mess to cut.
I used rock wool as the first layer and 703 as the finished layer and worked great. If you need several inches of absorption.
Rock wool is also less money.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Head

THanks alot,

I know what you mean about the value your head part
I was thinking flying, I'd say 2-4" of 703 over the drumset with 2" space between the panels, I'll be using heavy contruction wire in order to fly them. Now should I add a third panel to the rear of the drumset and give it like a 10 degree angle to catch some of the rear reflections?

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Please read up on F. Alton Everest "master handbook of acoustics" as doing something like this is akin to recording a concert with a mic in your shirt becasue you heard you needed a mic to record concerts. !?!
Using diffusion and absortion can yield wonderful results...
The space between the sealed layer and the 703 is just as critical as the 703. Simply putting 703 panels everywhere does virtually nothing. Also keep in mind that anything worthwhile will be pretty heavy and careful consideration for mounting (especially OVERHEAD) is needed (if you value your head).
Rock on drummer boy...
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Nut

Some very good information (including discussion on gapping the panels, etc.) for you here:

Acoustic Treatment and Design for Recording Studios and Listening Rooms

How high is your ceiling?

For drums/drum booth, I would say the panels over the drums should be 4" thick, and gapped at least 3 to 4 inches from the ceiling if you've got the space.

You need more than 2 inches thickness to get any appreciable bass trapping, and will absolutely want as much bass trapping as possible in your studio/drum booth, especially for drums. You will get much fuller bottom end with the drums if you have a decent amount of bass trapping.

Further, I would recommend to build some 4 inch thick panels and straddle as many of the corners as you can, as the corners are the best place to address the lowest modal frequencies in your room. Further still, ALL room modes are present in corners, and the corners are the most important spots for treatment of ALL room modes that will be present in any given room.

The absorption curve of roadband/bass trap panels like these changes depending on where you place them. If you straddle them across corners, the absorption curve will peak around 100 Hz range, and if you mount them flat on walls, they will have peaks in the absorption curve generally around the 200 Hz and 500 Hz ranges, and the absorption starts to roll off rather sharply around 100 Hz and below.

Basically, while you CAN put too much high and mid frequency absorption in a room, it's pretty much impossible to put too much bass trapping in a room. If you want to avoid absorbing too much of the highs and mids, you can use the FRK version of the 703 (which has a kraft paper facing), with the kraft paper side facing into the room.

There's a fair amount of discussion of this stuff in other threads in these forums . . . try doing a forum search on "bass traps" or "703", etc., and you'll come up with quite a few, many of them will have pics and descriptions of how people made their traps.

If you are working in a small room (such as a drum booth), I'd say you probably are best off not to bother with diffusors (for a number of reasons). You really need bass trapping more than you need diffusion, and using diffusors too close to the source or to the microphones can actually cause as many problems (e.g., phase problems/comb filtering) as it might solve.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search