The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
three high-end mics Condenser Microphones
Old 20th August 2007
three high-end mics

I need advice - i`m stuck between 3 posibilities covering my needs- voice recording ( i need rich mids and I hate exagerating highs)) and electric guitar.Mostly i use TG2.I don`t wanna looking for another preamp desperately.
So - Wagner U47 clone or Soundelux ( which one?) or maybe Royer 122V tube?
Note - the only mic cutting through rocknroll mix for my voice is AT4060 but i can hear it`s imperfection ( although it is good microphone for sure).I`ve read great reviews about Soundelux E49 that it`s rich ,velvety but agressive....I like Neumann M149 but only from some samples.....I dont know are they capable to stand high SPL....

I`m going to buy really good eq with adding colour possibility (IBIS or Portico 5033) and maybe use Buzz SOC ( for invisible compression) or Distressor / STC-8 for more flexible compression .I use Portico 5043 but i prefer something totally invisible or totally influentive.....

My chain-TG2>>Mytek>>>Adam S3
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

The Soundelux mics are no longer being made, so the Wagner would be the only U47 style mic that it is available on your list.

The Wagner mics are authentic U47 copies you would not be able to tell the difference between an original and the Wagner. The only snag is that Wagner have like a 10 month waiting list.

The Wunder CM7 is also a very accurate copy of an early U47, and better sounding compared to a Soundelux e47. The Wunder uses the larger style transformer found in earler pre 1952 U47's, which are the most sought after, they are the only company in the world that are offering these larger transformers.

wunder audio home page

Old 20th August 2007
Thanks for Your answer , frequency responce seems to be great for obtaining articulated but not "essy" response but there are no specs connected to high sound pressures....
I`ve just listened to under cm7GT samples vs.Peluso 2247 and Wunder is too bright for my taste.And to be honest i don`t like whole line of Peluso(2247,C12,251) they lack of mids ( for my voice of course)
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

The SPL handling on the CM7 is the same as an original U47 when it was brand new. Sorry i cant be more specific on that.

Also with regard to the CM7-GT version being too bright, it is availble with too different capsules (K47 & M7). The K47 capsule which is the standard option is brighter sounding than the M7 capsule. Peluso also uses a K47.

The M7 capsule comes as standard on the more expensive CM7 model.
The CM7 is deffinately not a bright sounding mic!

Old 20th August 2007
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by janek 68 View Post
I need advice - i`m stuck between 3 posibilities covering my needs- voice recording ( i need rich mids and I hate exagerating highs)) and electric guitar.
What about a ribbon? Talk about rich mids and no hype in the top end!

War
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Talk about rich mids and no hype in the top end!
or a SM57...
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
What about a ribbon? Talk about rich mids and no hype in the top end!

War

which ribbons are likely to be best for big vocals, a la a good U67 -- any suggestions??

thanks!!
Old 20th August 2007
Jai guru deva om

Jeff:

AEA R84.

Done.

If you want a great mix of a condensor-ish sound with an excellent ribbon, the BLUE Woodpecker certainly is another great flavor of ribbon out there. It's phantom powered and has a pretty hot output for a ribbon also. The mids are nice and forward, the low end isn't as pronounced or huge as the R84 though.

I think of the Woodpecker as the perfect ribbon for somebody who doesn't want to quite get away from a condensor sound.

War
Old 21st August 2007
I know advantages of using ribbon cause usually i record with SE Ribbon , i`ve tested Royer 121 also but ribbons have kind of slow responce , have big lows which is not acceptable during vocal recording.So my supposition is that Royer 122V will cover all disadvantages of using ribbon.....
But from other sources my knowledge about recording became wider -in one of my faovourite recording -Start Me Up (Chris Kimsey-http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr04/articles/classictracks.htm) guitars have been recorded using Neumanns U-47.ACDC`s "Back in black" guitars which are also great are next example of using condensers with guitar amps.I`m tired with usual primitive sound od SM-57 or typical dark ribbon.I would like to hear all wideness and sparkliness of rich in harmonics overdrived guitar amp.I hope that it will be solution for perfect rich vocals as well.I`ve tested some mics (range1000-1500 USD) and results was promising but not perfect.So my question is -which high-end condenser for guitar amps AND vocals?
Old 21st August 2007
member no 666

The Royer R-122V is one of my favorite 'new' mics... I almost don't know how I worked before I got it... the TelefunkenUSA "AK-47" and "M-16"s are also two of my drop dead new favorites [to the point where I'm actually considering selling a couple of my other lg. diaphragm condenser mics that are way more expensive but don't get used nearly as much as they used to since I got the T-funkUSA mics].

Best of luck with your search.

Peace.
Old 21st August 2007
Fletcher Himself! Thanks...i have no doubt with Royer 122V but do you know this article- http://www.studioreviews.com/m16-460.htm ?
Old 23rd August 2007
amd
Lives for gear

Quote:
Fletcher Himself! Thanks...i have no doubt with Royer 122V but do you know this article- http://www.studioreviews.com/m16-460.htm ?

Thanks for posting! Interesting............any dealers care to comment!
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
The Royer R-122V is one of my favorite 'new' mics... I almost don't know how I worked before I got it... the TelefunkenUSA "AK-47" and "M-16"s are also two of my drop dead new favorites [to the point where I'm actually considering selling a couple of my other lg. diaphragm condenser mics that are way more expensive but don't get used nearly as much as they used to since I got the T-funkUSA mics].

Best of luck with your search.

Peace.
I agree, the Telefunken AK47 is just great, I sold some of my mics to buy the Tele and I reckon I will need the M16 soon.

nIC
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

A U47/ TG combo is exactly what I think your describing.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

The 122V is great... I used it a lot on old instruments (pianos, harpsichords) and it is warm but open - more open than the 121, for example. However, it has its own character. That was great on one bright piano, making a pair of TLM 170s sound strident and pale in comparison, but on a more mellow piano, the 170s captured the "spirit" of the instrument better, while the 122V's just sounded ok and had too much mid built-up.

For male vocals it was nice and interesting (not the honk of the 121 - on my voice, at least), but only fit some sparse, rather slow songs, rarely crowded uptempo stuff.

It's great and I don't wanna miss it, but I wouldn't get it as my main mic, so maybe a 47 clone will be better for that.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

War, I'd love to try the Woodpecker. The sound samples sound great and I think it might be a great addition.

However, I really don't like the looks. For the price, I guess I won't care - but I think the damn thing really looks a bit cheezy (on "real" pics, too). The gold is okay (I guess they wanna look familiar regarding Royer...), but I'd couple it with see-through white coloured wood instead or something like that...

Do you think they could come up with a different colour?? I'd love to see that!!

It'S not like some 19" tool I can hide - a mic's look can inspire the singer!!
Old 23rd August 2007
So from your answers situation is clear-U47 (or U47 clone-ex. Tele AK47) and Royer 122V. Great self-complementary combination .I read many AT4047 `s reviews today that it`s very good mic for both applications .....So there is last question-which U47 clone Ok i would choose easier option (Telefunken or AT4047).
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

AT 4047

Quote:
So from your answers situation is clear-U47 (or U47 clone-ex. Tele AK47) and Royer 122V. Great self-complementary combination .I read many AT4047 `s reviews today that it`s very good mic for both applications .....So there is last question-which U47 clone Ok i would choose easier option (Telefunken or AT4047).
I've also read that the 4047 is the "first call" cabinet mic for several of the big shots.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Fletcher Himself! Thanks...i have no doubt with Royer 122V but do you know this article- R-F-T Telefunken M16 and Apex 460 Bench Test ?
Note the date of that article - May 2005. If you do a search you'll find many posts noting that issue was quickly remedied.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post
I've also read that the 4047 is the "first call" cabinet mic for several of the big shots.
Would you put a link of those articles?
I have a 4047 too. Since I got my TM-1 it is not much used but is a nice mic for warming up strident sources. Nice in Ac Guitars, and I know is good in piano too (haven't tried that yet thou).
But I never, ever liked it in vox.
Old 3rd September 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Jeff:

If you want a great mix of a condensor-ish sound with an excellent ribbon, the BLUE Woodpecker certainly is another great flavor of ribbon out there. It's phantom powered and has a pretty hot output for a ribbon also. The mids are nice and forward, the low end isn't as pronounced or huge as the R84 though.

I think of the Woodpecker as the perfect ribbon for somebody who doesn't want to quite get away from a condensor sound.

War
Old 3rd September 2007
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVelvet View Post
War, I'd love to try the Woodpecker. The sound samples sound great and I think it might be a great addition.

However, I really don't like the looks.
The mic looks seriously cool in person, most everyone who has seen it here scratched their heads at first and once they figured out it was real wood...were pretty impressed by it. The gold...it is what it is and yeah has a bit of that "bling" look I suppose. Overall though I feel the web pics do not do this mic justice, way nicer face to face.

My opinion.

War
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio View Post
Would you put a link of those articles?
I have a 4047 too. Since I got my TM-1 it is not much used but is a nice mic for warming up strident sources. Nice in Ac Guitars, and I know is good in piano too (haven't tried that yet thou).
But I never, ever liked it in vox.
The trick with AT4047's on guitar cabs, is to mix them with a complimentary mic. I like to use a 4047 to capture the low mids while a 67 captures the upper mids. Sometimes I'll throw up a 57 if that's called for, and the Royers are awesome on the backside of the cab.

IMHO every mic cab should include an AT4047 because of it's unique low mid character that is fairly specific to that mic.
Old 3rd September 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
The mic looks seriously cool in person,

I feel the web pics do not do this mic justice, way nicer face to face.

My opinion.

War
i just told a fellow slutz the same thing today
Old 13th October 2007
AK-47 - dissapointment

So i`m testing now AK-47 .I`m confused.I`ve just tested M16 and it has the same hole in the mids as Pelusos i tested 2 months ago.AK47 is better in the mids but the top is still overbright.Mids are soft , too soft and not detailed for my taste./In whole package there are some descriptions and characteristics of other Telefunkens (including their U47 clone ) and now it is clear for me that more of these mid-priced mics(1000-1500 range) are below sonic quality of old classics.It is enough to check Telefunken U47 characteristic...Ak 47 is going up from 10 khz to 15khz about 5 db when U47 goes down.U47 is fuller from 2khz to 4khz than AK47.AK47 is very similar to AT 4060 but has softer mids and a bit more highs ,That`s why i choose AT4060 -it is more articulated and aggresive in mids although still mid sonic quality (to my ears).
Overall -AK47 is too expensive for it`s sonic quality.There are cheaper alternatives for sure.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search