The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why Don't UA or Avalon make consoles Mixers (Analog)
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Why Don't UA or Avalon make consoles

Neve, API and SSL all have outboard gear and consoles. I'm just wondering why UA and Avalon don't have consoles. I know that UA made consoles back in the day. I think it would be cool to have a UA console with 610 pres and vertical 1176 and LA2A modules (kind of like the RND Portico). UA already makes compact pres that go into their 4 and 8 channel rackmounts. Wouldn't it also be cool if you could put UAD cards into the console (say eight) and implement all this cool analog hardware with your DAW? That way a particular place on the board houses the cards, so your computer doesn't have to. Throw in some sexy automation and I would be reaching for my wallet. UA already does a great job in the analog and digital market. Imagine the possibilities if they made a console.

And while I'm not the biggest Avalon fan, there are MANY Avalon fans. And while sound is the most important thing, an Avalon console would probably LOOK very sexy. Put 737's on every channel. Anyway, I was just bored. Your thoughts.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Guru

some interesting ideas.

i think the console market probably isn't too lucrative though...they probably make more money focused on outboard gear. lot of RnD to go through to design and build a console, and not enough demand to justify it.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

If it were just pres and EQ, then I would agree with you. But if you could implement 1176's or LA2A's into it somehow, I think there would be a market for it. Plus, if the UAD market were also included into it, there is a giant audience out there. I'll bet if we put some GS heads together, we could get a pretty killer concept going with this. We helped with the Toft console. If UA got interested in it, you never know.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Guru

Consoles are expensive to design, build, ship, and are hard to sell.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, I know. It would still be pretty badass though. I figure if a smaller company like Toft could do it, UA could too.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

sear sound in NY has a sony console which they modded with avalon EQ's on every channel.. i dont know the specifics, but when i saw that board, i though it was cool! i remember Walter Sear saying eq's went up to 30k....

anybody have more info on that?
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Like I said, an Avalon console would look pretty damn cool. And, while they're not everyone's flavor, they still solid pres.

A UA console would like damn cool as well. The black on silver. That would be sexy. Then using the UA VU meters. Then have a section for compression in either 1176 black or LA2A silver. Nice I say.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

MacGyver could build it!
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miqer View Post
MacGyver could build it!

yeah dude give him a magazine spine, coke can,copper wire, gum, wishbone.............i bet he could definitely come up with some stuff.heh
Old 20th August 2007
Here for the gear

Maybe implement a control surface feature, like the AWS 900.... if those things are even selling.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicHurtsMyEars View Post
Maybe implement a control surface feature, like the AWS 900.... if those things are even selling.

Exactly. An AWS-like control surface with UA analog hardware and the implementation of the UAD cards would be a grand slam IMHO.
Old 20th August 2007
A console built of 610s?

That thing better have an EQ that cuts 15db and 350Hz on every channel!!

Seriously though, have you ever tried mixing something had multiple stacks or overdubs that were done thru 610s? I'll tell ya what: it ain't easy.

As for the Avalons, I believe the old Sony MXP 3000 boards had an Avalon preamp made for em....anybody out there that can varify that?
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Well, I'm sure UA could make a new preamp design that sounds somewhat like a 610 but has better specs. There was a time where the 610 was my only preamp, so I am very familiar with how to stack the 610. It's not for everyone. But there's a crowd for it. I guess I should have clarified that an improved EQ would be necessary as well. Not to knock on you or anything, but a good engineer can stack a mix well with Eureka preamps. They just prefer not to.
Old 20th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric View Post
Well, I'm sure UA could make a new preamp design that sounds somewhat like a 610 but has better specs.
Don't get me wrong: the 610s sound really cool. It's just they've got a low mid hump that stacks poorly. I prefer em on single instruments.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Also, UA consoles seemed to work just fine on Sinatra and the Beach Boys (back when UA consoles were around). But I do see what you're saying about the 610.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Had there been a 2108 console, that'd have been about the coolest thing around.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric View Post
Exactly. An AWS-like control surface with UA analog hardware and the implementation of the UAD cards would be a grand slam IMHO.
The Mackie X200/400 can utilize the UAD cards. I haven't seen many around though.

Regards,
Bruce
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, but it's a Mackie.
Old 20th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD_Mastering View Post
The Mackie X200/400 can utilize the UAD cards. I haven't seen many around though.

Regards,
Bruce

I know of one for sale if you're interested.
Old 20th August 2007
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Guru

If Avalon did make a console you would need two things, first a pair of sunglasses for the glare, do not get me wrong the stuff is cool looking, 2nd you would need to be Trump to afford one at their prices.

Mike Vick. You are one of the best to play the game but " Stay away from my Dog "
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
If Avalon did make a console you would need two things, first a pair of sunglasses for the glare, do not get me wrong the stuff is cool looking, 2nd you would need to be Trump to afford one at their prices.
Yeah, I guess the Avalon would be a tad bright (looking). If it were $2000 a channel, the end result for a 32 channel would be $64,000. That being said, you don't think you would find an Avalon console in a rap studio? Bling bling.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Avalon had plans to build a console not too long ago but apparently it didn't pan out.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokushoka View Post
Avalon had plans to build a console not too long ago but apparently didn't pan out.
Really? I was not aware of that.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

who cares about avalon or UA? I want a Great River, GML or Crane Song console!!

M.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingneeraj View Post
sear sound in NY has a sony console which they modded with avalon EQ's on every channel.. i dont know the specifics, but when i saw that board, i though it was cool! i remember Walter Sear saying eq's went up to 30k....

anybody have more info on that?
AFAIK, the console was CALLED Avalon, it didn't have any of those ****ty avalon outboard brand modules.

An avalon board would both look and sound more than a tad bright.

As for the UA idea.

Ofcourse a desk with LAs and 1176s would be super cool, but I don't know if the current version of the 610 would quite hold up. They stack kind of bad.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Dam....an avalon console would be realllll shiney...LOL

The "Bling Bling" console.heh
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by madriaan View Post

M.

I agree as well, but you will have to admit this is a fun/serious thread, a real interest of reviews, Don't forget to ask yourself, why don't they make Studer preamps and Daking consoles ?

Mike Vick. You are one of the best to play the game but " Stay away from my Dog "
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by madriaan View Post

M.
A lot of people care about UA and Avalon. Maybe not you, but they sell really well. That being said, I would welcome a Great River or Crane Song console.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
I agree as well, but you will have to admit this is a fun/serious thread, a real interest of reviews, Don't forget to ask yourself, why don't they make Studer preamps and Daking consoles ?
I agree. I intended this to be a fun serious thread where we can put our brains together to come up with some great console concepts. I think it would also be cool to have a Chandler console (since there were EMI consoles back in the day).

OR

A Gemanium console with Germanium compressors in it. MMMMMMMMMM

The way I see it is that if Oram can make a Trident 8T with S20 pres in it, why can't UA, Avalon, Great River etc come out with their consoles? I don't buy for a minute that Chandler, UA and Avalon consoles wouldn't sell well. People say that there's not a market for it. Well, UA and EMI consoles worked in the past. Why not today? Everything else UA sells does really well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search