The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Upgraaaaading Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 20th August 2007
Here for the gear

Upgraaaaading

I'm fixing to upgrade from my Presonus Firepod (oh she's been good) that i've been using to record good demo's for the past couple of years. Now I want a good clean professional sound, so i'm retiring the pod.

How does this setup sound? Pros? Cons? You tell me Gearslutz:

Preamps: Universal Audio 8110
Converters: Apogee AD-16X

And can it really be as easy to get pro sound with just two rackpieces? That's why you're here Gearslutz, tell me what I need to know. Thanks.
Old 20th August 2007

I think you are on the right path, however the UA unit might be a tad bit underwhelming as far as tone is concerned. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I would recommend that you replace the UA pre for something with a little more soul and personality. <o:p></o:p>
The API 3124 four channel mic-pre/D.I would be a really good option. The API 3124 has a clarity and brilliance that is hard to match when putting the UA up against it. <o:p></o:p>
Couple of questions...<o:p></o:p>
How will you be monitoring the feed from the converter? <o:p></o:p>
Will you have a need for D/A for mixing?<o:p></o:p>
If you already have all of these functions, I would just throw a Apogee X-FireWire Card into the AD 16x for complete integration into your software.<o:p></o:p>

Hope this helps

peace <o:p></o:p>
mixwell<o:p></o:p>
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I haven't used the AD or DA 16s, but I REALLY like, maybe even love, the UA 4110. I don't have usual access to APIs or Neves without paying for it, but I don't feel bad at all about using the UA.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmangrum77 View Post
can it really be as easy to get pro sound with just two rackpieces?
I wish it was. then I could give my bank account a rest. 2 rack pieces is a start though.
Old 21st August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
How will you be monitoring the feed from the converter? <o:p></o:p>
Will you have a need for D/A for mixing?<o:p></o:p>
If you already have all of these functions, I would just throw a Apogee X-FireWire Card into the AD 16x for complete integration into your software.<o:p></o:p>
I completely forgot about having to plug in my monitors! I'm so used the firepod that i forgot to ask myself where i was going to plug them in.. how would i go about my monitor/headphone situation now?? I have a pair of Mackie HR824's. Also, I'm thinking about getting that new Presonus HP60 headphone system, so how would i go about setting my monitor/headphone system up?

And no I won't need to convert back to analog.

Also, I plan on getting the firewire card too so I can run cubase or pro tools.
Old 21st August 2007
Here for the gear

Also, those API 3124's look pretty good, hopefully they sound good too, I might try them instead.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search