The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is there really any need to pay for genuine Neve? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 29th November 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

Buzz words, buzz words.... 1073, 1081, 1272. 1084 is a refreshing change being better featured than the 1073... heh

Hundreds and hundreds of albums because hundreds of Neve consoles were made.... except they didn't all have 1073's in them... how about 1095, 31102, 31105, etc.?

We have 1073's and 1084's in the 8028 console here... check out the clients on the studio list... like No Doubt, Foo Fighters, Kanye West, etc.

i love that studio geoff an i cant wait to get my 1084's
Old 29th November 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDog View Post
yes i second this question wat albums have the 1073 1084 sound???
Many of the recent recordings of the past 10 years of rock, you know, the unlistenable stuff that hurts your ears.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Many of the recent recordings of the past 10 years of rock, you know, the unlistenable stuff that hurts your ears.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Genius & bizarre at the same time...
Old 29th November 2007
Mgr
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankovitchy View Post
i agree and why should they?

Do i care if my carpenter uses "middle of the road" kind of tools to build my studio console?? the answer is no, not as long as i'm pleased with the result...
I'm pretty sure i've never asked my dentist "soo is that the vintage Q574 drill your using there champ?" but i do exspect him to have the right KIND of tools at hand....

(hope my poor english makes sense...i've had way to much coffee and it's pretty late here in denmark)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
This is a very good analogy! The most important is the result!
Unless may be if you target the Hip Hop market , those guys want the Bling! Bling! (All due respect!)
I'm not so sure that it is a good analogy since the problem of the expensive brand (neve) can be translated in any kind of job.

Every worker who want to achieve results that tend to excellence will use the *best* tool that is possible to get. I doesnt matter if he is a carpenter , a dentist, a scientist, or a painter.

Just my thougt
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Could anyone describe the sound differences between the 1073 and 1081 preamps with some adjectives ?
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
Could anyone describe the sound differences between the 1073 and 1081 preamps with some adjectives ?
The 1081 sounds less aggressive to me and has a more open top end. The 1073 pre seems to add something to the low end and brings things forward a bit while the 1081 pre sounds a little more neutral to me.

It's a tough one because I love the pre in the 1073 but I prefer the EQ in the 1081 (which is my favorite EQ.I own 13 modules).

1084's are the bees knees.
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod View Post
The 1081 sounds less aggressive to me and has a more open top end. The 1073 pre seems to add something to the low end and brings things forward a bit while the 1081 pre sounds a little more neutral to me.
Thanks a lot empire.

That´s interesting.

The difference you ´re describing is similar to what I think is the difference between my 1073 dpd and wunder audio pafour preamps.
1073 is a bit more crunchy + has fuller low end.
Wunder have a bit more punch + clarity.

Anyone A/B´d wunder and 1081 ?
Old 29th November 2007
Quote:

Try notching anything between 150hz-350hz or making a peak a nice sharp peak at at around 100hz on a 1084 or 31102....

the truth is you can't.

Knees bees or not for all of its accolades it has its drawbacks.

I would much prefer to have a couple of 1084's or 31102's(which i do by the way) for tracking and specialty mixing. but for over all bread and butter stuff in the mix the 1081 EQ is much more flexible. Its not perfect or ideal but its much more flexible for mixing.
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Try notching anything between 150hz-350hz or making a peak a nice sharp peak at at around 100hz on a 1084 or 31102....

the truth is you can't.

Knees bees or not for all of its accolades it has its drawbacks.

I would much prefer to have a couple of 1084's or 31102's(which i do by the way) for tracking and specialty mixing. but for over all bread and butter stuff in the mix the 1081 EQ is much more flexible. Its not perfect or ideal but its much more flexible for mixing.
Good point Thrill! i think I'm just going through 1084 lust right now. I have 1081's coming out of my ears.
Old 29th November 2007
Gear Addict

i get my 1084's today cant wait
Old 29th November 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:

It's a tough one because I love the pre in the 1073 but I prefer the EQ in the 1081 (which is my favorite EQ.I own 13 modules).

Wow, interesting...

For me, the 1081 is the more aggressive sounding of the two. The 1073 sounds broader, richer...high end is a little sweeter than a 1081. The 1081 is faster, more forward...high end is more crisp than the 1073, low-end is more focused but still very full. I love 'em both -- JB
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

I don't hear the high end band on a 1073/1084 as 'sweet'...rather the contrary, 'hard'...sometimes too hard, sometimes even borderline harsh...Doesn't mean I don't like it...could be just what I need when I want to boost some 12k (on an SM57) on a rock guitar track...For vocals, it's too hard most of the times...
When I think of top sweetness, I'd rather go for the high band on a curve bender, a Fearn or Pultec eq...
Best,
RR
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't hear the high end band on a 1073/1084 as 'sweet'...rather the contrary, 'hard'...sometimes too hard, sometimes even borderline harsh...Doesn't mean I don't like it...could be just what I need when I want to boost some 12k (on an SM57) on a rock guitar track...For vocals, it's too hard most of the times...
When I think of top sweetness, I'd rather go for the high band on a curve bender, a Fearn or Pultec eq...
Best,
RR
Ain't that the truth.
Old 29th November 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alamo View Post
1081 or 1095 are 'faster' indeed, 'more detailed', both because of their intrinsic sound as well as the way they function...
But I don't hear the high end band on a 1073/1084 as 'sweet'...rather the contrary, 'hard'...sometimes too hard, sometimes even borderline harsh...Doesn't mean I don't like it...could be just what I need when I want to boost some 12k (on an SM57) on a rock guitar track...For vocals, it's too hard most of the times...
Best,
RR
I agree with you. I was comparing and contrasting the treble range of the 1073 and 1081 pre's (no EQ engaged), not their respective EQ bands. Apologies if that was unclear...Cheers -- JB
Old 30th November 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
Thanks a lot empire.

That´s interesting.

The difference you ´re describing is similar to what I think is the difference between my 1073 dpd and wunder audio pafour preamps.
1073 is a bit more crunchy + has fuller low end.
Wunder have a bit more punch + clarity.

Anyone A/B´d wunder and 1081 ?
The Wunders are more like the 1084's than the 1081's to my ears, although I don't use the Wunders as a replacement for the 1084's. The Wunder's are clearer than either, and the EQ is much less flexible than the 1081's, and a little less than the 1084 for that matter.. They are gold for adding presence in the mid band though.

FWIW, I consider the 1081's "grittier" than the 1073/1084, but I get way more use out of the The EQ. I really miss the High Pass with the PEQ-1, but that's just because I use HP just about whenever I can. Also, using the "Bell" mode on the highs is useful to me on the 1081.

I haven't used the 1073dpd. but for the sake of discussion, I'm assuming it's similar to a 1073/1084 pre.
Old 30th November 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alamo View Post
Best,
RR
Totally agree with this.

Actually that's what makes it a great EQ for a snare mult(especially a 1084/31102).

You can smash the piss out of it and send it to the Neve and with the narrow Q engaged you can really make it pop through your mix.

Its just not a great EQ for digging the low mids out or moving them out of your way which when mixing i consider it more essential than a HP filter.
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
yes i second this question wat albums have the 1073 1084 sound???
Toto ..at least a couple of thier albums.
Old 1st December 2007
Gear Addict

I worked on Vintage 80 series Neve desks for years.

I own the Chandler LTD-1's now in my own studio

Do I miss the Neve 1073's and 1064's?

Does the Chandler LTD-1 sound identical to those vintage Neve modules?

NO

I don't miss the scratchy pots and switches and the noisy hiss that shows up when you pop the EQ in on vintage Neve desk modules.

The Chandler LTD-1 is every bit as sweet in the mids and top as those Neve modules were if not smoother and more flattering to sources. Less noisy, tighter bottom and low mids. No scratchy pots or switches. Easier to operate. The Neve switch/knob thing was actually kinda annoying and not easy on the fingers after hours of use. The Neve knobs hurt my fingers after a while.

Debate all you want or go buy one of the better remakes (Chandler/BAE) and don't worry....be happy. You're so lucky to even have the option of spending a bit of your hard earned money on a Neve preamp/eq sound in a rack box! Be grateful!

Any of these two preamps will knock you out in terms of tone. They have that magic thing that people describe as the Neve sound.

There isn't this fine line between that magical sound and the absence of it. When you hear your sound source through the LTD-1, you hear that magical signature. If you didn't, Wade wouldn't be so well admired in our snobbish little community.

We are such townies us gearsluts.

Gossiping all the nonsense about eveyone and eveything in the neighbourhood. No one goes un-noticed or un-judged here. Wade and Brent have a reputation for a reason. They surpass people's expectations. They deliver.

You don't hear people praising Dallas Upton do you? There is a reason. He started out like the others building his box from original parts but then compromised too much on a more cost effective manufacturing design and a less than excellent business mantra. Just for the record, I've oned his early product. Sounded great. His current lineup sounds and feels the way his attitude feels when you talk to him. Call him and you'll know what I mean.

People who love what they do are good at it. People who don't are not. Let that be a lesson to you in finding the magical (and variable) vintage 10 series Neve sound in 2007!
Old 1st December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Wyler View Post

NO

I don't miss the scratchy pots and switches and the noisy hiss that shows up when you pop the EQ in on vintage Neve desk modules.
Hi

If the modules you worked with had been given some TLC like Electrolubing the pots and switches and recapping the pcbs sometime in their 30+ year life, you would not be able to use these faults as the reason for buying clones (or re-issue Neve for that matter).

Audio equipment is like cars.. you wouldn't drive a car 30 years without changing the oil and filters and there's plenty of old Neve modules chugging along without the faults you list. If the noise floor rockets up with the EQ in, then the faithful reproductions of the unit will have the same fault...

But they don't so you are describing sloppy maintenance, not bad circuit design.

Old 1st December 2007
Lives for gear

in terms of clients and branding I just say things like. oh the avalon? aside from the digimax, thats the WORST piece of gear in my rack. from that point on, they feel safe
Old 1st December 2007
Lives for gear

Alex, did you try SeventhCircleAudio n72 modules ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Wyler View Post

NO

The Chandler LTD-1 is every bit as sweet in the mids and top as those Neve modules were if not smoother and more flattering to sources. Less noisy, tighter bottom and low mids. No scratchy pots or switches. Easier to operate. The Neve switch/knob thing was actually kinda annoying and not easy on the fingers after hours of use. The Neve knobs hurt my fingers after a while.

Debate all you want or go buy one of the better remakes (Chandler/BAE) and don't worry....be happy. You're so lucky to even have the option of spending a bit of your hard earned money on a Neve preamp/eq sound in a rack box! Be grateful!

Any of these two preamps will knock you out in terms of tone. They have that magic thing that people describe as the Neve sound.

There isn't this fine line between that magical sound and the absence of it. When you hear your sound source through the LTD-1, you hear that magical signature. If you didn't, Wade wouldn't be so well admired in our snobbish little community.

We are such townies us gearsluts.

Gossiping all the nonsense about eveyone and eveything in the neighbourhood. No one goes un-noticed or un-judged here. Wade and Brent have a reputation for a reason. They surpass people's expectations. They deliver.

You don't hear people praising Dallas Upton do you? There is a reason. He started out like the others building his box from original parts but then compromised too much on a more cost effective manufacturing design and a less than excellent business mantra. Just for the record, I've oned his early product. Sounded great. His current lineup sounds and feels the way his attitude feels when you talk to him. Call him and you'll know what I mean.

People who love what they do are good at it. People who don't are not. Let that be a lesson to you in finding the magical (and variable) vintage 10 series Neve sound in 2007!
Old 26th December 2007
Gear Addict

Maslow never uttered a word about Neve . . . did he?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search