The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is there really any need to pay for genuine Neve? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 4th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
What's good news, it's easy to sell itheh
lol!

I'm actually now quite currious about this new Avedis mic pre coming out soon
Old 5th October 2007
Lives for gear

Indispensable? No.

Nice to have? Yes.

Worth it? If you have the $$, and it has been well maintained, yes.

Let's not forget about the Neve EQ, it simply rocks. It's not just a preamp you're paying for.
Old 5th October 2007
Lives for gear

Is a real good condition vintage neve worth it ? Yes if that is the tone you are looking for!
However you might just find that a a clone or nev inspired is more your likeing! The Problem is Everybody who reads MIX EQ or comes to gearslutz thinks they need a Neve. and maybe they do but they never listen to the stuff they just follow the hype!

he BAE is the closest I have heard to the couple of good neves I have heard ( closer than the reissue! but for some stuff give Me Chandler GR or Aurora!
I have even found the Chameliion perfect for some stuff!!!
Listen to the sonics not the hype and buy the tool that works for you!! Not someone else! Tey can buy their own!
Old 6th October 2007
Lives for gear

I must have missed something ..did Neve come in first place in the 3D Pre shootout?
Old 9th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankovitchy View Post
i agree and why should they?

Do i care if my carpenter uses "middle of the road" kind of tools to build my studio console?? the answer is no, not as long as i'm pleased with the result...
I'm pretty sure i've never asked my dentist "soo is that the vintage Q574 drill your using there champ?" but i do exspect him to have the right KIND of tools at hand....

(hope my poor english makes sense...i've had way to much coffee and it's pretty late here in denmark)
I was in the dentist office today and relayed this comment to my dentist. She started telling me how much each thing cost - and it made audio gear look cheap. The chair I was sitting in was worth more than a vintage U47 ($9k), the nozzles on the hoses they were sticking in my mouth cost AKG414 ($900). the tiny magifying specs she was peering through cost more than couple of API A2D's ($3500), the digital xray machine cost more than a volvo. Of course dentists make a bit more too - the guy who gave me a root canal a few days ago got more than $1000 for 1.5 hours.
Old 9th October 2007
ktf
Gear Maniac

If you can pony up the extra cash for the real thing, do it. My 8014 is worth more now than what I paid and I never wonder if it is as good as the real thing. It simply rocks my world.
Old 9th October 2007
Lives for gear

i could care less if someone says "wow - that sounds just like a real neve!" I just want them to love the tracks. I can get 99% of the vibe of a 'real' neve without necessarily using a real neve... but then again, i'm not trying to sound like a real neve. i do like having a sound that is Neve-ish in character though, so a decent clone or something else that is close usually works for me personally.

if you want a neve - get one.

if you just want to make great music, get the best gear you can afford to get, and learn how to squeeze every ounce of tone out of it.
Old 9th October 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
Exactly my point, Why pay double when someone makes another indistinguishable product.
Because no replica will ever appreciate in value financially like a real Neve. It's like well-located real estate. You pay for it up front, you enjoy while you're there and then you get double your money back when you sell. What's not to love?
Old 9th October 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
In reality you may record the best sounding album of all times with any of these (and more) preamps:

Portico pre
A Design pre
Great River pre
Daking pre
Wunder pre
Or without.
Old 9th October 2007
ktf
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
Because no replica will ever appreciate in value financially like a real Neve. It's like well-located real estate. You pay for it up front, you enjoy while you're there and then you get double your money back when you sell. What's not to love?
There you go! +1
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktf View Post
There you go! +1
The Brent Averill's seem to be trying to appreciate. The old neves are appreciating but it seems the new ones are expensive and not selling used. I have seen a couple of 1073's on ebay sit there and no one buys them and the time runs out. The Vintechs and Great Rivers seem to be slowly appreciating with inflation as the new prices creep up.
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
That was may be true until re-issues re-appeared but i wouldn't bet on it anymore, plus now i don't think they can go higher in price. The Neve reissue , 1 more time, just set the market price for 1073/1084/1081 modules.
In my world, someone willing to pay more for a vintage than a Neve re-issue 1073/1084/1081 is called an idiot!
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
That was may be true until re-issues re-appeared but i wouldn't bet on it anymore, plus now i don't think they can go higher in price. The reissues , 1 more time, just set the market price for such module.
In my world, someone willing to pay more for a vintage than a reissue is called an idiot!
yeah, no way would you get your £2500 back on a Neve 1073 reissue
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

well....I found my pair of 1073's in a basement....to my astonishment they work and sound fanfreekintastic...they changed everything. While I have no doubt that a chameleon or a 1073DPA would sound better than onboard AMEK pre's I can't imagine using anything else if I had a choice. Sounds like old Pink Floyd. I couple it to an old altec 633A and an 1176 and it just sounds like GOD!stikestikestike
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

What do you mean you them in a basement?
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

where is this basement you speak of?

My basement is full of kids toys and non-audio junk.
Maybe someone has broken into my house and laid a couple of 1073's in my basement? Could it be????

I better check just to be sure.
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

I guess I'm just lucky..."get rid of that old junk" translated into "here...have a pair of 1073's an 1178 and a buncha vintage mic's"...meanwhile i'm gettin paid to take it away as well
Old 10th October 2007
No. I used a 8128 once, bad mistake. I've never used 80 series although I've rebuilt plenty.

I've never owned or used Neve products besides that 8128.

I survived just fine too. I've heard enough sandpaper vocals to last me 100 years.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 10th October 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedman View Post
I guess I'm just lucky..."get rid of that old junk" translated into "here...have a pair of 1073's an 1178 and a buncha vintage mic's"...meanwhile i'm gettin paid to take it away as well
I have regular dreams of such a thing happening.

Keep waking up just as I plug the stuff up :(
Old 11th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregohb View Post
I was in the dentist office today and relayed this comment to my dentist. She started telling me how much each thing cost - and it made audio gear look cheap. The chair I was sitting in was worth more than a vintage U47 ($9k), the nozzles on the hoses they were sticking in my mouth cost AKG414 ($900). the tiny magifying specs she was peering through cost more than couple of API A2D's ($3500), the digital xray machine cost more than a volvo. Of course dentists make a bit more too - the guy who gave me a root canal a few days ago got more than $1000 for 1.5 hours.
Man, just wait til you get a colonoscopy.

-R
Old 12th October 2007
Lives for gear

Who really uses Neve for vocals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
Man, just wait til you get a colonoscopy.

-R
Yeah I will meditate on the high value of the instruments being shoved where the sun doesn't shine next time.

On a more serious note, what famous records were the vocals recorded with Neves 1073? Certainly none of the Beatles or vintage Elvis, Sinatra, Phil Spector wall of sound stuff, Everly Brothers, Byrds, Cream, Hendrix, etc. because it came out in 1973 - but I am thinking BadCo and Argent weren't examples to really mimic. Even Neves are so good, they should have a list of users (look at the list of "Whose who" who use the Distressor!). I think I heard Bruce Swedien used Neves for Michael Jackson. On the other hand I think I read that Fleetwood Mac used APIs. So who exactly used Neves?

The other part of this, is what mics are famous for using with Neves? Most of the famous U47 users (Beatles and Sinatra) were pre-Neve. So what did they plug the U47's into? And what is plugged into 1073's?

And lastly, the NEW 1073 doesn't have any EQ like the original 1073's, right?
Old 12th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes it does. You're thinking of the 1073DPA or DPD which are the mic pre's from the 1073, w/o the eq.

The regular reissue 1073 is the whole shebang, pre+eq, just like the vintage ones.
Old 12th October 2007
Lives for gear

I just got my BAE 1073 today and I love it! I mixed on a Neve for about a year on and off and it made me get stereo 1272s for the house- BAE as well. I loved them and it gave me the feel I was looking for- awesome DI which was also a main reason I got them. The 1073 is wonderful and with the short time Ive had with it today, I think it will live up to my expectations. The EQ is magic as expected.
Does it compare- I don't do comparison shootouts unless Im having trouble. I am not so far and expect it to only prove as usefull as I expected. But yes, its only been one day..... One beautiful, joyous, happy, 1073 day!

Plus I had an open slot in the power supply so I had to get one....heh
Old 13th October 2007
Dor
Lives for gear

Old 13th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
On a more serious note, what famous records were the vocals recorded with Neves 1073? Certainly none of the Beatles or vintage Elvis, Sinatra, Phil Spector wall of sound stuff, Everly Brothers, Byrds, Cream, Hendrix, etc. because it came out in 1973 - but I am thinking BadCo and Argent weren't examples to really mimic. Even Neves are so good, they should have a list of users (look at the list of "Whose who" who use the Distressor!). I think I heard Bruce Swedien used Neves for Michael Jackson. On the other hand I think I read that Fleetwood Mac used APIs. So who exactly used Neves?

The other part of this, is what mics are famous for using with Neves? Most of the famous U47 users (Beatles and Sinatra) were pre-Neve. So what did they plug the U47's into? And what is plugged into 1073's?

Good Point!
Old 13th October 2007
Lives for gear

The same can be said for any piece of musical gear.....

Why get an ESP Les Paul knock off instead of a REAL Standard or Custom from the 70's...or a Marshall Plexi Clone amp, when you can have an original.....There will always be companies that emerge to cut corners and offer a similar product, but to be honest, when you have the real thing....it is obvious.
Old 13th October 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post

Did someone replace the faceplate and the EQL switch?
Old 14th October 2007
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
Did someone replace the faceplate and the EQL switch?
No, the module in the image is a AMS-NEVE reissue. Why do you ask?

D
Old 29th November 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yeah I will meditate on the high value of the instruments being shoved where the sun doesn't shine next time.

yes i second this question wat albums have the 1073 1084 sound???
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDog View Post
yes i second this question wat albums have the 1073 1084 sound???
Hi

Buzz words, buzz words.... 1073, 1081, 1272. 1084 is a refreshing change being better featured than the 1073... heh

Hundreds and hundreds of albums because hundreds of Neve consoles were made.... except they didn't all have 1073's in them... how about 1095, 31102, 31105, etc.?

We have 1073's and 1084's in the 8028 console here... check out the clients on the studio list... like No Doubt, Foo Fighters, Kanye West, etc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search