The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is there really any need to pay for genuine Neve? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 20th August 2007
BTW- Geoffs GTQ will cost you a LOT less and give you TWO pres for less than the price of one.

I'd consider this as an option rather than a 1073, clone or not.

I bought 16x1084 modules but only as they are sitting in a restored 8014 console. I figured that whilst I was spending the money, it will stand to me in the long run having NEVE modules as apposed to a BA clone.

Truth be told, the BA casing is better built than the Neve re-issues ! I had a NEVE nob in my hand within 10 mins of powering them up :(

If I was just buying a couple of channels, I'd go with the GTQ thumbsup

Remember, you're going to need a rack and PSU to go along with a 10XX. All in all...not cheap !
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinmusic View Post

I bought a 1073dpa about halfway through so I guess that was my reference. I haven't heard the BAE model but the Aurora, for example, has quite a different high end characteristic. Slightly brighter and a bit more 'squishy' overall when driven than the 1073dpa. Very musical though, clearly a great pre but just not the same as a 1073 if that's what you like.

The only other make I'm going with along with the 1073dpa is the Great River to cover cleaner sounds + the DI is excellent. To my ears, the GR was the least 1073 sounding of all the Neve inspired designs but it's just an excellent, open-sounding pre in it's own right. Love it.

Hi

Just to chip in with my 2c, nowhere on my site or in any posting of mine will you find an intention for the GTQ2 to sound like a 1073. If I had wanted to make a 1073, I could have made one that knocked the spots off the cloners' contributions but that simply isn't my scene. I'm rather glad that you can discern a difference because if I thought that the GTQ2 sounded like the 1073DPA (which should really be called a 1290DPA.... but that's another story) I would feel that I had failed.

I expect Dan feels the same about his GR products... neither of us need to hang on the coat tails of Neve or the need to say that it "sounds just like a 1073".

No thank you. I'd like it to be judged as to being a great mic pre with a useful EQ... no more, no less.

Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
This is a question not a statement!

With superb products about from the likes of Chandler, BAE and Aurora Audio to name a few, is there any need to pay the extremely high-end price for a Neve 1073 or 1081? Are the Neves so much better or is it because they are the "GENUINE ARTICLE"

If you need a 1073 would you be just as well getting a Chandler LTD-1 for example or the BAE instead of a 1081?
I think you have to refine your question-- If you are asking if there are preamps other than Neve that are great the answer is obviously YES. If you are asking if owning a nonNeve preamp will make you feel like you own a "Neve" then it boils down to what does "Neve" mean to you. I think that the only way to own a Neve is to own a Neve. If you own something else make no apology. I think boutique products are unwittingly devalued by people that consider them knock-offs of something different.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Guru

Anytime you can better yourself, take a Neve on me !!
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

Original Neves,..Would'nt have it any other way..

Invest in Original Neves,.....Better than the stock market......
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

Just to chip in with my 2c, nowhere on my site or in any posting of mine will you find an intention for the GTQ2 to sound like a 1073. If I had wanted to make a 1073, I could have made one that knocked the spots off the cloners' contributions but that simply isn't my scene. I'm rather glad that you can discern a difference because if I thought that the GTQ2 sounded like the 1073DPA (which should really be called a 1290DPA.... but that's another story) I would feel that I had failed.

I expect Dan feels the same about his GR products... neither of us need to hang on the coat tails of Neve or the need to say that it "sounds just like a 1073".

No thank you. I'd like it to be judged as to being a great mic pre with a useful EQ... no more, no less.

Hi Geoff

I think I'm on your side here

I reason I mentioned your pre is because stevetgn in the original post asked specifically if it was the same as a 1073 and subsequently mentioned your Neve history. Also, I only referred to the GR as Neve-inspired. When I called your pre 'great' I meant it - I just wanted to make the point that all these preamps are different.

Neil.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neveboy View Post
No, I want your jeans to decide what ears you buy

My point is try before you buy.

You wouldn't buy a pair of jeans without trying them on first would you? Maybe you would, but you don't really know what you are getting, or more importantly, how they fit.

Just because Neve 10XX have a lot of discussion around here, doesn't mean its going to float your boat.

Find a dealer that will let you test gear. Most decent dealers will and it doesn't matter where you are in the world. I have boxes shipped to me here in Ireland, I get a few days to try and if I like, I buy.
lol, yeah I get you. I'm just trying to be funny... tough room!
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
This is a question not a statement!

With superb products about from the likes of Chandler, BAE and Aurora Audio to name a few, is there any need to pay the extremely high-end price for a Neve 1073 or 1081? Are the Neves so much better or is it because they are the "GENUINE ARTICLE"

If you need a 1073 would you be just as well getting a Chandler LTD-1 for example or the BAE instead of a 1081?
As you know that all pres are used for special sources and that goes for Neve as well, I agree that Neve is a TOP DOG preamp without a douth, ive heard them and they have beeen around them to experience, do i own one ? no, i hope to one day.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Head

I'm seriously lusting after a Neve 33609 jd, shame they are so expensive, but damn i want one!
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

to original question...

imo NO.

no doubt neves are great pres but so are many others... it seems to me "brand" takes too much of its price.ok i got two clones (sca n72) that do that neve "thing just fine" and competition next door got real neves (and they still pay them of) but cant really hear that their end product is any better than mine. and if it was it sure wouldnt be because of some magical preamp would it ???

it amazes me that "neve" is the cure for all but in reality its JUST A PRE !!!

what about mics ? mic technique ? instruments ? eqs ? compression ? room ? gain staging ? tape ? converters at some point ? talent ? knowledge ? experience ? ...

so if you got all this covered already.. yes.. invest in that legendary pre. but otherwise.... whats the point really ?

differece between clones and real deal ? how much is that difference really ???

unless some gearsluts need fetish sex and im deaf.

Old 21st August 2007
Quote:
lol, yeah I get you. I'm just trying to be funny... tough room!
lol

P.S Go for the GTQ
Old 21st August 2007
There are two types of original Neves. One is the type that has been serviced right for 30 years. The other is the type that has been servied with replacement parts or by people who don't know what they're doing.

The good condition originals are as special thing and worth the price - assuming that the rest of you recording and mixing path is up to par as well.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Unlike food, water and air, a genuine Neve is never a necessity.

Is it?
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirerecording View Post
i have found some of the remake Neves to sound quite good compared to the originals. that being said i feel that much of what is called the neve sound comes from the consoles summing amps and transformers. mixing thru an 80 series Neve is a whole other level of Neve-ness that can't be attained thru input modules alone

stuart
a very accurate response to these never ending 1073 threads and over looked 99% of the time it seems. so true and with that said, i'm totally content with using the numerous other options out there if they're just going into my converters and daw...
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi

***with tongue placed firmly in cheek***

well, at least Dan chose not to attempt to make his unit look anything like a neve

j/k and having fun. i've heard sources tracked thru your preamp and it hangs with anything like it out there
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

This is pure BS what I'm reading. Blah blah blah, we/us/I didn't ever intend to make a Neve clone, if we/us/I wanted to make a Neve 1073 clone then we/us/I could. Uhm... *yeah*. You hear this sort of argument in all walks of life. I don't play drums like so and so cause I don't wanna play like so and so, but I could If I wanted to...

I *dare* someone to make a Neve 1073 clone.

No, I *double dare* anyone to do it. I'd pay a premium for a true 1073 clone.

Triple dare.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne mox View Post

Triple dare.
If you have to pay the triple dare price for a clone, don't bother, buy a real one! heh
Old 21st August 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne mox View Post

I *dare* someone to make a Neve 1073 clone.

Triple dare.
Uh, you have tried the B.A. clone right?
Old 22nd August 2007

Quote:
...the 1073DPA (which should really be called a 1290DPA.... but that's another story)
Why is that Geoff? Is the 1290 another Neve preamp?
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm no Geoff but i think the 1290 module is a 1073 without the eq section, it is built with a Red Marconi Knob on the plate, unlike the 1072 .
When you look at the 1073DPA, it looks like 2x 1090 modules mounted on a 1U rack
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
I'm no Geoff but i think the 1290 is a 1073 without the eq section, and so is the 1073DPA.
Hi

Yes, that's right, they were a 1272 size module with all the pre components of a 1073 but no EQ. Why the cloners didn't make this module I have never understood but maybe it's not just they who had not heard of it!

Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Uh, you have tried the B.A. clone right?
yeah... not to mention the Chandler LTD-1 which more or less is a 1073 with some added eq points. The Early Chandlers even used original transformers.

what planet are you living on Wayne?
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman View Post
yeah... not to mention the Chandler LTD-1 which more or less is a 1073 with some added eq points. The Early Chandlers even used original transformers.

what planet are you living on Wayne?
And Neve cards. The early LTD-1's were basically an original 1073 in a Chandler box.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

One of the problems with 1073 is it isn't tube.
Old 23rd August 2007
Ha! The perfect post, destined for someone's .sig file.

I can't tell whether it's serious or a joke, but it's equally funny either way.

Here's another problem: 1073s are too slow for drums.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

some drummers i know are too slow for 1073s.
Old 4th October 2007
Lives for gear

vintage or new

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
i have to agree with tony S. since i have both the real thing and a clone...there is a difference. clones sound newer where the reall thaing ahs this vintage thing happening that both me and my clients (who don't know or care who or what a neve is) can hear.

ej
Is that a vintage Neve, or a new 1073 Neve? And is that a console or single/double rack type unit. I am wondering what kind of neve is being compared to these other units.
Old 4th October 2007
Lives for gear

If you want that genuine 1073 sound, yes it's worth it.
Old 4th October 2007
Lives for gear

So random question since we're talking about Neve and I've been wondering.

There is always a lot of talk about the 1073, but the 1272 has a lot of clones, too, but doesn't get as much talk.

What are the differences between the two (other than the EQ section in the 1073)?
Old 4th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not trying to impress any one with anything other than my audio results... Do I really need to pay for Neve?

No, you really don't.

I can afford it, but didn't find it indispensable at all.
What's good news, it's easy to sell itheh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search