The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studer 189 vs 962 Consoles
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Addict

Studer 189 vs 962

how does the old Studer 189 console compare to the newer 962 console? Soundwise on eq and pre? functions?
Will use it for recording into pro tools with some nice eq's and of course also for summing otb. Are there direct outs for each channel on both of these? I heard they need to be modded...
I got a good offer on both of these consoles.
Which of the two is the most desirable? 189 or 962.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarman View Post
how does the old Studer 189 console compare to the newer 962 console? Soundwise on eq and pre? functions?
Will use it for recording into pro tools with some nice eq's and of course also for summing otb. Are there direct outs for each channel on both of these? I heard they need to be modded...
I got a good offer on both of these consoles.
Which of the two is the most desirable? 189 or 962.

Thanks in advance!!!
The 189/089 are killer,honest I have not been around the 962s
good luck.

Mike Vick. You are one of the best to play the game but " Stay away from my Dog "
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

its been a while since ive heard the 189. i was looking for a small mixer and bought the 961. i would have bought an 189 as well but theres wasnt one around.

saying its the holy grail would be over the edge, which doesnt mean that i dont like it a lot. the preamps are very useable and deliver imo the same quality as expected from the 1.5-2K 2channel preamp counterparts.

eq is very basic but its working very good. the limiter on the 2bus is turned off mainly.

i use the inserts as the direct outs, all you need is a TTjack and whatever you need on the other end. so you can use the pre + eqs for recording. the d.o ar prefader in that case. faders only work when the 2 bus is used. of course you can use the d.o and the 2 buss same time.

unbalanced gear can not be hooked up. so if you wann run some keys on the studer, you need d.i boxes ! its all balanced !

1.5k bought me a 10 channel mic pre + eq/ 10 channel line level + eq.
20 ins, 12 outs. builded like a tank ! god bless i discovered those nice lil mixers cause i was really lost when i thought about how to get all those preamps, moneywise

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED ! bang for the buck !
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

"Sugarman"

The Studer 189 are a full discrete transistor based console, and sounds very nice, actually near same mike-preamp as Triad A and B-range, so I can guess where Triad get the ideas from.
But it is old so you must recap all modules and PSU.
In this time they use "Frako" electrolytic capacitor, and those are normally not in good working to day.

There was also a 169 consoles that was a hybride between discrete and old op-amps (but with same mike-preamp)

The 962 console was a op-amp based design, and have some unusual very high tech designs in mike-preamps and output amps, that Studer special liking in the last anloge consoles the make in the end.
This console was very clean and stable in the sound, mybee to perfect, it sounds as it was "ready for the digital adge" that was a popular expression around the 1990´s, but it is a very good console with very high specifications.

--Bo
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Hansén View Post

There was also a 169 consoles that was a hybride between discrete and old op-amps (but with same mike-preamp)

Ive heard much about the 169 being not one of the finset Studer boards, the reaction i got was that they sounded thin and sterile. They do not sell well on ebay.

Mike Vick. You are one of the best to play the game but " Stay away from my Dog "
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

i use a 189 on a daily basis. i love it. big sound, great layout, limited but great sounding eq, and nice extras like two separate foldback outputs, solo buttons, nicely placed mutes, a great monitor section, pre and post fade inserts, built in power amps for my passive monitors, a really nice reverb section with eq that works great for my reverb/delays i have, mine has 2 stereo/4 mono compressors that sound superb, and so on and so forth... the 189 is full of transformers too. i think it sounds pretty damn rich for such a relatively inexpensive console. it's all modular too, making it really easy to work on - just pop out any channel and work on it or send it to your tech. oh yeah, and the schematics are available for free on the internet as a pdf download. i absolutely love my 189.

iv'e never used a 900 series studer so i won't comment. somebody commented about the 169's not sounding so hot but i disagree. i have a friend who makes great sounding records on one. he swears by em'.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
Ive heard much about the 169 being not one of the finset Studer boards, the reaction i got was that they sounded thin and sterile. They do not sell well on ebay.
Woah there. 169 is in the words of my tech "ridiculously over-engineered" and the pres easily hold there own with a range of high end pres in my studio, and are our go-to for a number of sources, especially drums. Thin and sterile .. quite the opposite in fact.

As for your eBay comments, I've been trying to pick up a second one, but they keep getting pulled from sale as the owners accept "offers" rather than letting them run their course.

But fine with me if you run them down .. perhaps the prices will get more affordable, I would love to have 2 or 3 of them.

By the way, have you ever used a 169??

B
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing81 View Post
Woah there. 169 is in the words of my tech "ridiculously over-engineered" and the pres easily hold there own with a range of high end pres in my studio, and are our go-to for a number of sources, especially drums. Thin and sterile .. quite the opposite in fact.

As for your eBay comments, I've been trying to pick up a second one, but they keep getting pulled from sale as the owners accept "offers" rather than letting them run their course.

But fine with me if you run them down .. perhaps the prices will get more affordable, I would love to have 2 or 3 of them.

By the way, have you ever used a 169??
Pkease rememeber that im only making this off all i have gathered in the past about the different modlues, no one that i talked to favored the 169. I realize that its best heard with your own ears, these are only reviews.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Sorry but I can't resist:D

Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

whoa!!! what model is that?!
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Guru

Sweet
Old 22nd August 2007
Hi André i understand whay you can't resist

these beauty are 2 linked EMT MM100
as they asked Torens to build their turntables
EMT asked to ABE to build their console in the late 70's.
very few of them were made
to very high quality standards

i had one and they sound fabulously sweat and silky , i just sold it because i found ...
a bigger one and a bit more recent
an MM400, it sounds a bit more clean but more punchy too heh:

Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Nut

"AllaboutTone"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
You have a point there, because the 169 console series have a bit hard sound, and this becomes of the op-amps LM-301, that was a very early generation op-amps Studer use in this console.
(there was also some RC-4136 quad op-amps in other modules, that have a hard sound, because the bad bandwidh and slew rate as the LM-301)

But the 169 console can be a great mixer, if you change all bad electrolytic capacitors and change all slow /hard op-amps, to the new nice capacitors and amps we have to day.

There are only one op-amp (IC-1 in inp.module) that must be specially selected, because it have a unusual connecting in the "fader buffer section".
(this op-amp must have connecting pins for "compensation" that is use as input for a external transistor in this case)

--Bo
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Hansén View Post
"AllaboutTone"

You have a point there, because the 169 console series have a bit hard sound, and this becomes of the op-amps LM-301, that was a very early generation op-amps that Studer use in this console.
(there was also some RC-4136 quad op-amps in other modules, that have a hard sound, because the bad bandwidh and slew rate as the LM-301)

But the 169 console can be a great mixer, if you change all bad electrolytic capacitors and change all slow /hard op-amps, to the new nice capacitors and amps we have to day.

There are only one op-amp (IC-1 in inp.module) that must be specially selected, because it have a unusual connecting in the "fader buffer section".
(this op-amp must have connecting pins for "compensation" that is use as input for a external transistor in this case)

--Bo
Hey now, that could be the secert of it all.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

well if we are posting pics then here's my beautiful studer 089

and here with my tasteful homemade wooden surround.....

Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

can anyone give me any info on the Studer 902 console?

i'm looking at one that is available right now.

it LOOKS sweet as a nut, but i don't know nuthin' about it!

also, how does the 961 compare the 962? what are the differences?

thanks,
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie View Post
also, how does the 961 compare the 962? what are the differences?
STUDER und ReVox - Analoge Mischpult Serie STUDER 961 / 962

961: Basisrahmen mit 10 Eingängen und 2 Summen, oder 8 Eingängen und 4 Summen. ( Eingänge kombinierbar Mono oder Stereo)
962: Basisrahmen mit 16 Eingängen und 2 Summen, oder 14 Eingängen und 4 Summen. ( Eingänge kombinierbar Mono oder Stereo)

its basically saying:

961: frame with 10 ins and 2 sums, or 8 ins and 4 sums
962: frame with 16 ins and 2 sums, or 14 ins and 4 sums
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Head

studer 902

some info on the 902

-excellent preamps, comparable to some of the best highend outboard pres
-4 band eqs plus high/low filters
-the eqs are unbelievable, very flexible and musical
-my one has 8 mono and 8 stereo ins
-the stereo channels have a special stereo width knob, a true secret weapon
-8 buses
-the board doesn´t get too hot
-lots of headroom
-you can push the levels and get a very subtle fatness
-the sound is amazing, clean, musical and incredible detailed
-service friendly and robust
-easy wiring (only external ins are on siemens plugs)

downsides
-you can´t route the channels on the master, it has to go to a bus first
-no inline desk
-the Q of the eqs is not too broad
-you need some colored outboard, for some music it´s just too clean

---niko
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom & Roland View Post
well if we are posting pics then here's my beautiful studer 089

Very nice!

In the chanel strip, what are those round things under each slider? Are the sliders some sort of pots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom & Roland View Post
and here with my tasteful homemade wooden surround.....

Ohh... those monitors lives dangerous on the edge! Be sure to lift the right one first if you are going to move them!
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie View Post
also, how does the 961 compare the 962? what are the difference
Hi.

I have the 962 and the only difference that I know of is the frame size. All the modules will fit either frame.

Regarding the sound I really like sound of the 962, very open and warm to me. Clean and fast but not at all sterile. It definatly gives a special glue to the mixes without being too colorful. The noise floor is waaaay down there so you don't get any additional noise to your digital noise free recordings.

The EQ with low and hi shelf and a sweepable mid is good but nothing special. Mainly because of the frequency chosen for the low shelf filter, 20Hz! Allthough it has a fairly gentle slope I would've prefered a little higher value around 80Hz or so. The hi shelf is also odd placed at 20kHz! but it's nice for adding some extra air. The mid sweep is what makes this EQ good, the Q value chosen is perfect, you really can't get it to sound bad on anything!

The comps and limiters on the busses are nothing special but on some material they can sound allright. The attack time is fixed but the release and ratio are adjustable.

The build quality is way beyond great! Steel, aluminum and brass and side cheeks in wood, only the knobs are plastic.

I really like this console and if I could have the low shelf frequency modded it would be way beyond good!
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojo View Post
Very nice!

In the chanel strip, what are those round things under each slider? Are the sliders some sort of pots?
Yep they are very chunky cogs connected to equally chunky pots,a very clever design,the whole desk is built to last and like a tank....The space at the far right (where the yellow wire is, is where the transformer goes...it is missing off this channel) and most of the caps on the eq modules are original apart from the blue one(this is just a spare channel)....I had the rest of the channels in the desk fully recapped by a brilliant frenchman named pom! he did a few other mods too and the desk now sounds amazing,very quiet,but thick with tone and enormous bass,which is exactly what i wanted!

Quote:
Ohh... those monitors lives dangerous on the edge! Be sure to lift the right one first if you are going to move them!
um....thank you
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

thanks for the info guys, great stuff!
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojo View Post
Very nice!

I know the feeling, my studio is full of these guys.
Old 19th November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5down1up View Post

unbalanced gear can not be hooked up. so if you wann run some keys on the studer, you need d.i boxes ! its all balanced !

wow, I'm excavating ages old thread…

I'm considering getting 962, but balanced line input connections issue seems strange to me. I understand why they did that, but it would mean that all multitracks one could possibly connect to 900 series should be balanced outs.

But in reality many multitracks, especially mid-range tape decks, have RCA outs.
What are the chances that I send signal from Tascam or Fostex tape deck (unbalanced) to Studer 962?
Old 20th November 2016
bump..
advice on 962 line inputs, anyone?
Old 20th November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog greg View Post
bump..
advice on 962 line inputs, anyone?
i've been using 962 & 961, regular XLR with pin 2 connected to pin 1 works
Old 20th November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingstone View Post
i've been using 962 & 961, regular XLR with pin 2 connected to pin 1 works

livingstone thanks!
so - no issues with noise/distortion (or loosing of low end) appearing after years of use?
Old 21st November 2016
More love here for the 962. We've been running one for about 8 years now. Fabulous desk. Warm mic pre's, sweet EQ, and a serious master section. ...and built like a tank!
Old 22nd November 2016
Gear Addict

Just got mine up and running, nice console! and to my suprise (for an IC desk like this) can be pushed a little for some gentle colour. There shouldnt be a problem running synths straight in, i dunno why that guy said that above... though you may get less level and of course yes if your synths are unbalanced as most are.. tie the cold to shield at input (or patchbay cable)
Old 25th November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartHunter View Post
There shouldnt be a problem running synths straight in, i dunno why that guy said that above... though you may get less level and of course yes if your synths are unbalanced as most are.. tie the cold to shield at input (or patchbay cable)
Yes, probably that should work.
The problem is clearly described here (thread from another forum):

Seeking tech for Studer 962 console

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search