The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API > Soundworskshop > Otari
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

API > Soundworskshop > Otari

Ok, here is a question for the "mature" readers that have the facts. There were some people from API at Soundworkshop. There were a couple of consoles said to sound API-ish. Then Otari bought and rebadged Soundworkshop, releasing the Concept One and Elite consoles. How much API design/artifacts trickled down to the Elites. Anyone REALLY know?
Old 19th August 2007

Here's from an old post I made that fills in the lineage:

The 54 was the "flagship" model that was designed and built by Otari after they acquired SW. Otari also brought in personnel from API to form the new design team. The 54 (don't know if there ever was a "C") was designed and built from the ground up as a totally new console and bears very little resemblence to a SW or API product even though its design team came from both companies. One of the major changes in design of the 54 is the "underslung" card cage that houses summing cards and keeps a lot of the looming of wiring at a minimum and controls crosstalk. The 54 is built to high standards (and is as heavy as a tank) and was a difficult console to make and consequently Otari moved all their console production into a more cost effective approach with the Elite and Status lines which are quite different in approach from the 54. The 54 was also built for film production and had some different combinations of modules.
Old 19th August 2007
My Soundworkshop is reminiscent of a very very clean API. It doesn't have anywhere near the color because the SW is completely transformerless. The topology is completely different (the SW is all monolithic [but sounds great], where the API is 'discrete opamp'). I do know that Saul Walker and Michael Tapes were both involved who were old school API guys. So I would say if you are making an evolutionary connection with the SW as a 'mid point' between API and Otari, Otari has absolutely no similarities to an API (except for functionally of course).
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
My Soundworkshop is reminiscent of a very very clean API. It doesn't have anywhere near the color because the SW is completely transformerless. The topology is completely different (the SW is all monolithic [but sounds great], where the API is 'discrete opamp'). I do know that Saul Walker and Michael Tapes were both involved who were old school API guys. So I would say if you are making an evolutionary connection with the SW as a 'mid point' between API and Neotek, Neotek has absolutely no similarities to an API (except for functionally of course).

Where did Neotek come into this? I am pretty sure he was talking about the Otari/SW Concept Elite.
Old 19th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
Where did Neotek come into this? I am pretty sure he was talking about the Otari/SW Concept Elite.
You're right, need more sleep, replace Neotek with Otari
Old 19th August 2007
IC opamp consoles without transformers are supposed to sound like discrete opamps with transformers?

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
My Soundworkshop is reminiscent of a very very clean API. It doesn't have anywhere near the color because the SW is completely transformerless. The topology is completely different (the SW is all monolithic [but sounds great], where the API is 'discrete opamp'). I do know that Saul Walker and Michael Tapes were both involved who were old school API guys. So I would say if you are making an evolutionary connection with the SW as a 'mid point' between API and Otari, Otari has absolutely no similarities to an API (except for functionally of course).
Do you find that the 30 sounds anything like your 1280? and is your 1280 the b model? it was my understanding that the 1280b was a balanced transformer design.

a lot of people compare the SW sound to a lot of different Pre's and consoles. I'm really happy with my 1280b, but I never know having little to no experience with these other pre's whether there is any validity to any of it.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Guru

i'm selling my 1280b. if anyone reading this is interested, pm me.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Head

We have a 1982 SoundWorkshop 34C, it has served us very well, esp.
after we recapped it & put in new opamps (although the latter
probably wasn't necessary).

the sound also improved after replacing the VCA's & controlling
fader with high-end panasonic audio faders. (we tried running
diskmix automation with its 8086 computer but its heart
wasn't really in it). the mic pre's and eq's aren't that great
but the desk does get a good sound on mixdown - you can
hit the channels pretty hard & get a nice crunchy sound perfect
for drums and guitars (it had a nice clean sound as well).

-carl
radical house studio's, sf

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search