The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TLM 103 as an overall mic Condenser Microphones
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

TLM 103 as an overall mic

Do you think it would be a good chice getting it for a home studio, using one overall mic for all recodings ? Or should I better go with a 414 ?

They both around the same price. The TLM 103 I consider buying is two years old, the 75th annoverssary version and is being asked 700$ (including the case and shockmount)

Thanks !
Old 19th August 2007
member no 666

These things really aren't "collectable" so it being a 75th anniversary edition really isn't that big a deal. The last I saw $700- was aroud the price for a new one so that deal doesn't sound all that good to me... and in the same price range there are quite a few other mics I think I would consider long before either the 414 or the 103.

Best of luck with your search.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

i have a 103 and can't help but feel it sounds 'thin' (i use it for vocals) Then again, it cuts through things in a mix. Matched with a 'thick' 1073 sounding preamp you can get some real sounding tones from the 103. It's an all-rounder so if you are micing lots of different applications, go for it IF you can get it cheap as it's expensive for what it is (a badge)
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Buy Neumann TLM 103 Anniversary Condenser Microphone online at Musician's Friend

I see 1250$ ...

BTW, is it all that bright sounding like the reviewer say ?
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Guru

I think its a SIN to bring up a 103 on a Sunday.......lol , today is the sabbath we do not need anything to harsh.
Old 19th August 2007
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
I think its a SIN to bring up a 103 on a Sunday.......lol , today is the sabbath we do not need anything to harsh.

LOL, true to that. I wont comment on my TLM103 today. Its does sound good on BARITONE MALE VOX and female vox
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwe View Post
Do you think it would be a good chice getting it for a home studio, using one overall mic for all recodings ? Or should I better go with a 414 ?

They both around the same price. The TLM 103 I consider buying is two years old, the 75th annoverssary version and is being asked 700$ (including the case and shockmount)

Thanks !
$700 is a fair price for a used one.
I paid $1000 for the same TLM 103 mic, case, and shockmount new a couple years ago....even though the advertised price is higher, they have room to work.

It really depends what you need an "all around" mic to be.
I would lean toward a multi-pattern mic like a Rode K2, or a AKG C414

Although the TLM 103 is not represented in the following link, it is helpful way to preview a few other options.
Microphone Clips and Audio Samples at ***************.com
Good luck Brotha!
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

i agree
the 103 really does cut through in a mix (for vocals)
somehow it creates alot of space for itself

however i was using it through a vintage neve pre and an 1178

i find on acoustic guitar it can be a little boomy and perhaps a little thin sounding

but as far as vocals go
i think its pretty good for some styles

i once did a shoot out with
akg C3000
akg solidtube
tlm 103
tlm 49
rode NTK
rode K2

this was on a female vocalist
the tlm 49 took the cake by a fair way
the 103 was definitely second
and for me the NTK was last
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear
I'm not sure why there are so many 414 haters around here....and I haven't heard the new ones.

But to me a 414uls is a good mic that covers a lot of uses well. It is possible that in its versatility it doesn't do anything best of class, but its a lot of bang for the buck, and is almost always useable. In my book, its often best choice for BGV, even when other "better" mics are around. It just works.

TLM103? People buy it so they can tell folks they have a NEUMANN, but in my book that isn't even a Neumann mic.

Yry another highly opinionated Gearslutz post......
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

I find mine useful for lots of things, and pretty much worth the money. For me it works best with my "Nevish" DRS-2 preamp that tames some of the shrillness. I have a couple of older 414s that don't seem to have much life in them, and a 414TLII that is more scooped nd airy, and "kinder" than the 103, but is just a little wimpy on vocals. Perfect for my grand piano, however.

Like a lot of Neuman mics, the 103 seems to have a good "reach", so you can mic things from a little more distance and it will still grab the sound nicely.

-R
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have used a lot the TLM103 through a Millenia Origin for voice overs. If the talent is moving, the off axis sound is not very flattering but if they don't as in 99% of the cases it just works. Very clean.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

I generally go out of my way to avoid using the TLM 103 at all costs.
You can do much better for the money.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have done comparisons between the AT 4060 and the TLM 103, and I myself would suggest the AT 4060

both as a solid vocal mic, and an all around mic - good on most things....

if you shop around, you should be able to hopefully find it for $900 or less.
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks all ,

However, I got it at last and I can't tell hoe much I like it so far.
I've been listening to some recordings made by the previous owner, both on male and female voices, recorded through an Avalon pre, and I think this mic sounds just beautiful. Very clean, very full. A little thin like many say and a little bit exaggereted at the top end, but all in all so far better than other mics I tried at the 300-500 range. The mic is very well kept, only two years old and comes with the case and shockmount, like on the musiciansfriend page. 700$.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search