The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Justin Timberlake - which console?
Old 9th April 2004
Gear Addict

I find the new Timberlake CD absolutely compelling sonically - it has a good dynamic range, sound enormous, in your face, big and round. Would you sophisticated engineers share with me some of the intricates of this album? I much appreciate your insights.

cheers

Old 9th April 2004
DAT
Gear Head

I think he work at Encore studio
Old 9th April 2004
Lives for gear

Didn't he do his first solo album at Hit Factory?

I don't know that for sure...just heard it somewhere.
Old 10th April 2004
Lives for gear

I know the stuff Dave Pensado did was at the Enterprise Studio C on the SSL 9000J.

I think the stuff Jimmy Douglas did was at Criteria with the Neve down there.
Old 10th April 2004
Lives for gear

Whatever console it was, we know he was 'loving it'.

heh
Old 11th April 2004
Gear Maniac

They mixed it all in Protools.

Just kidding.
Old 11th April 2004
Gear Head

I believe they used an Ibrahim Pegasus 2000...designed by a conservative Iranian military think tank to remove all of the sonic and musical "impurities" usually associated with Soul or Rhythm and Blues; degenerate forms of music originated by African American peasants and their only slightly higher caste caucasian exploiters in the late 1940s, 50s, 60s and 70s. These recordings generally featured exciting and/or meaningful songs, inspired ensemble-style session "players"... and a recording and mixing approach that featured dynamics, a "listenable" top end, aggressive yet detailed and substantial midrange, and "downtown" bass.

the Pegasus 2000 effectively removes all of these vain anomalies that are unpleasing to God and were once associated with most of the "professional" recordings that came from the United States, or the Great Satan if you will. I am pretty sure that Team Timberlake used one of these consoles.
Old 11th April 2004
Gear Addict

Well, I wish not to argue about taste - I don't see today's pop as the evil of all music. Whoever worked on this stuff knew what they were doing, and personally I would like to learn from them.
Cheers
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

ssl
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernd G View Post
Well, I wish not to argue about taste - I don't see today's pop as the evil of all music. Whoever worked on this stuff knew what they were doing, and personally I would like to learn from them.
Cheers
Just don't forget that it also went through a mastering stage.
Old 21st December 2010

He also rode a unicorn for transportation to and from the studio.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

WONDERFULS

1. " I believe they used an Ibrahim Pegasus 2000...designed by a conservative Iranian military think tank to remove all of the sonic and musical "impurities" usually associated with Soul or Rhythm and Blues; degenerate forms of music originated by African American peasants and their only slightly higher caste caucasian exploiters in the late 1940s, 50s, 60s and 70s. These recordings generally featured exciting and/or meaningful songs, inspired ensemble-style session "players"... and a recording and mixing approach that featured dynamics, a "listenable" top end, aggressive yet detailed and substantial midrange, and "downtown" bass.

the Pegasus 2000 effectively removes all of these vain anomalies that are unpleasing to God and were once associated with most of the "professional" recordings that came from the United States, or the Great Satan if you will. I am pretty sure that Team Timberlake used one of these consoles."

2. " He also rode a unicorn for transportation to and from the studio."
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear
The mixing process of Sexyback is all explained here :

Secrets Of The Mix Engineers: Jimmy Douglass
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reslo00711 View Post
I believe they used an Ibrahim Pegasus 2000...designed by a conservative Iranian military think tank to remove all of the sonic and musical "impurities" usually associated with Soul or Rhythm and Blues
My experience with the 2000S (not the original 2000) at the Kevakian Studios in Isfahan in the mid-90s was not all that pleasant. This was a console built by Mr. Ibrahim himself. To begin with, the board's frequency response was extremely narrow, running somewhere between 300Hz and 7500Hz. According to Afshar Pandahari, my engineer on the project (and a friend of Mr. Ibrahim), the board was intentionally designed with truncated low and high ends, so as to bypass "the sex zones." In this regard, I must say it succeeded magnificently.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

"the sex zones" LMAO
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

to me it sounds like timbaland or whoever is doing most of his tunes is using alot of the spectrasonics stuff

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search