The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1176 version question... I need a tech's opinion. Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Head

1176 version question... I need a tech's opinion.

I know that there have been several posts on this subject, but this one is a bit unique. I need someone who really knows 1176's to help me out. I'm about to purchase a UREI 1176LN blackface (according to the faceplate), however, the SN on the back says 1176 B S/N 369. This makes me believe that it is actually a blue stripe with a black faceplate. I'm going to attach some pics so you can have a look. Let me know what ya'll think!

-Justin
Attached Thumbnails
1176 version question... I need a tech's opinion.-urei-1176-ln-blackface-go-7-30-07-fr-2.jpg   1176 version question... I need a tech's opinion.-urei-1176-ln-blackface-go-7-30-07-lft-bak-cl.jpg   1176 version question... I need a tech's opinion.-urei-1176-ln-blackface-go-7-30-07-top-open.jpg  
Old 19th August 2007
Universal Audio

The LN (Low Noise) Circuitry was built in a module that was encased in epoxy to protect the circuit and patent in the later black face version. I could be wrong, but it looks like thats over the left hand side of your picture. I don't really know the inside of these comps too well so maybe someone who does can confirm my claim.

But presuming I'm right...you're 1176 is more than likely a 1239-2331 version. It could be earlier as I don't know what the REV B board looked like that originally introduced the LN circuitry in the 1079-1238 versions, but its definitley not a blue face.

Looking at the picture of the serial, it has got a small peel mark on the top right, so maybe you have a blackface with the serial "badge" of a blue !? Why someone would do that tho.....??!! :/

And finally-What the heck is that INT/EXT switch on the right ?? Never seen that on ANY 1176 before. Some wierd ass mod going on there!

I'd ask a few more questions before parting with your cash ! Unless you are getting this at a good price, I'd suggest buying from someone who A-knows what they're at-B-Has given the unit a once over and C-Can offer you a re-cap or if you're a purist, at least a re-calibration.

"Property of Wall Heider Recording" could tell you a thing or two also. A bit of a legend from what I can tell so this 1176 may have seen some serious action.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

The Blue Stripes were non-LN versions and that epoxy module is an early version of the LN circuit so this unit is definitely an LN, and not a Bluey.

The Int-Ext switch that someone added might control an external meter. Probably not very useful and the extra hole in the front panel lowers the value of the unit a bit. But in terms of being a "collectible" 1176 it's probably fairly valuable. Whatever you do, don't remove the Heider's sticker!

The caps are all original, they need to be replaced.

The low serial number with the black face is a little odd but I think it's authentic. Maybe it was upgraded to black face version many years ago, or maybe it's a demo or a one off that slipped through the cracks at UA.
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Head

Thanks for the response. That little peel mark was actually from me...finger slip. I actually was checking to see if it had been switched. I spoke to my tech, and he said that it WAS an LN blackface...Neveboy was right. That was the LN transformer on the top left. I never thought of the upgrade option, David, good point. And I did a little research on the Heider sticker...some great records recorded there! It sounds good, very quiet, and beats the 1176 on my 6176. So, I think it might be a good purchase. I will ask my tech about a recap, though. Thanks guys!thumbsup

-Justin
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

It does appear to be a rev B. Here is the manual with notes toward the end containing serial numbers and changes etc.

1176 manual
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Given that it looks just like the UA Plugin, get the plugin I'm sure they sound exact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortaudio View Post
I know that there have been several posts on this subject, but this one is a bit unique. I need someone who really knows 1176's to help me out. I'm about to purchase a UREI 1176LN blackface (according to the faceplate), however, the SN on the back says 1176 B S/N 369. This makes me believe that it is actually a blue stripe with a black faceplate. I'm going to attach some pics so you can have a look. Let me know what ya'll think!

-Justin
Old 20th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyTart View Post
Given that it looks just like the UA Plugin, get the plugin I'm sure they sound exact.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

wow, that's a cool coincidence, man - the numbers are hardly visible on this photo, couldn't get a better pic behind the rack for now, but it's true - I have no. 368 and 370! They also say 1176 B.

I got them from an english friend of mine who bought them ages ago in London. I think they're recapped by Nick Ryan in England.

The two units sound very different, but both of them are awesome. The sweetest vocal distortion I know of...

cheers, tom

THE REEL THING - Real Music Production
Attached Thumbnails
1176 version question... I need a tech's opinion.-im000028.jpg  
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neveboy View Post
Universal Audio

The LN (Low Noise) Circuitry was built in a module that was encased in epoxy to protect the circuit and patent in the later black face version.
Actually, all there is in this little black box (besides the circuit) is wax. I had a weak contact in one LN circuit, and the maintenance guy made a little hole in the box and heated it up to drain out the wax.
I had told him that this was an original, very valuable peace of gear, so after fixing the problem he actually made the effort of putting that original wax back into the box. That's integrity, isn't it?

tom
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Head

Hey Tom,

Wow, that is really strange about your 1176B's. I think I'm going to pick it up. I have a really good tech out here, and I think I'll probably get it recapped soon. I can't get over the fact that you have 368 and 370...HA! Small world.

-Justin
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:

I think I'm going to pick it up.
Hi Justin,

i would if i were you.
these 1176s have changed my whole concept of using compression. i used to be fairly conservative, never compressing too much, especially on the way to tape. but with these old 1176s, it's soo much fun, and it sounds so damn good.

if you dial the attack button all the way to the left, then a little further until it clicks, you actually switch off the compressor circuit. i often just use the 1176s as line amps for the sound and mojo they bring to all signals.

good luck with your 369 unit!

tom

THE REEL THING - Real Music Production
Old 20th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reel Thing View Post
After fixing the problem he actually made the effort of putting that original wax back into the box. That's integrity, isn't it?

tom
Love it What a guy !
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

There is not a plugin in the world that can do 1176 or LA2a. At least one that sounds even close. I wasted tons on plugins. Shoulda bought the hardware in the first place. But I digress..... Rant

If I wanted another 1176 I would get a MC-77.

And if you buy it I would think about sending it to David Kulka for a recap and calibration. He has a great reputation for 1176. I wouldn't trust a local tech when you have an experienced staff like David.

And yeah the FETS sound good in bypass lol... Cause it doesn't have a true bypass.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Head

Stagefright,

I've used a few MC-77's before, and they do sound good. This purchase is more for the producer I'm working with. In addition to using it, I figure the 1176 will probably increase in value, too. The tech that I use is pretty dope, he works on all of Shipley's gear, and a bunch of the other big guys out here, but thanks for the recommendation...I'm gonna google David right now.
Old 21st August 2007
member no 666

Quote:
Stagefright,

I've used a few MC-77's before, and they do sound good. This purchase is more for the producer I'm working with. In addition to using it, I figure the 1176 will probably increase in value, too.
Why do I find it kinda sad that you're probably right that the unit will increase in value while it decreases in the usability... where an MC-77 will only decrease in value to about 85% of it's retail price but work well [without maintenance] for years to come.
Old 13th October 2007
Gear Head

Wow, fletch. You are a moron. fuuck
Old 30th April 2013
Here for the gear

Hi guys, I ve got exactly the same 1176, blackface, exactly the same components inside, the serial number is : 527
Old 30th April 2013
Here for the gear

.. no switch at the right
Old 30th April 2013
Gear Nut

Speaking of switches, I just acquired an old Urei 1176 that has a switch on the back. It has letters above it that appear to spell PREACC, and they look original to the unit. Here's a photo. Does anyone know what it's for?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search