The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Workflow suggestions - Waves SSL to Manley MU Equalisers (HW)
Old 18th August 2007
Here for the gear

Workflow suggestions - Waves SSL to Manley MU

I was wondering if anyone might offer their opinions about using these two items together for mix bus compression.

Manley first followed by the Wave SSL?

Just really interested in workflow ideas using these devices with a DAW.

Thanks for any feedback!
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

I would think ssl first, then manley since many engineers would mix through an SSL board with the buss compressor and then take it to a mastering house which would add the manley vari mu.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

I don't use the Waves SSL (tried it, didn't like it) but I usually run a Smart C2 before the Manley Mu when I daisy chain them.

But usually I will use the different compressors for different buses, for ex. Mu on drum bus, C2 on master bus or vice versa (well, actually now the Zener is permanently parked on drum bus...).
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

thanks

these posts were helpful. I've really enjoyed the sound of the Waves SSL bus. I've been hitting it pretty hard so i was curio9us if i should put the mix "gently" through the variable MU before hitting it harder with the SSL.

These two posts make sense. Of course, i realize every situation is different, but since I'm mostly working with just one artist, i can imagine finding a decent workflow situation.

Again, thanks for the feedback.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

A famous client of mine uses the SSL comp in the console first, but gently, then goes into the Vari-Mu for heavier compression before going to a GML 8200 for EQ. This is his final mix chain before it goes to the ME.

Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search