The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avalon AD2044 vs E.L. Distresoor
Old 5th November 2002
Avalon AD2044 vs E.L. Distresoor

Hey, Im looking to get a new compressor. Two compressors that were in my budget were the avalon AD2044 and the EMPIRICAL LABS DISTRESSOR. How would you compair these two compressors? I know one is two channel and one is single channel, but disreguard that. Also, how would the RNC stand in. Its cheap but alot of people love it. Thanx for the help.

jc
Old 6th November 2002
Gear Head

Why not throw the distressor into your open fireplace, and then get a Cranesong Horus or a Daking compressor.....
Old 6th November 2002
Apples to oranges. The Distressor is a great comp. It has the ability to be very aggressive and provide lots of coloration. The EL-8 is pretty clean when all the distortion settings are off, but it's not as potentially invisible as a Crane Song Trakker. The Crane Song Trakker has more front end headroom and sounds to my ear like it's 'wider' and larger. The Trakker also has the ability to provide tranny like coloration, but it's not as aggressive as the Distressor. It's a trade off in that department, and the two units compliment each other well since neither one can completely provide the same things that the other unit can. Both are flat out the most versatile units on the market. The RNC is very clean and does it's job well.
Old 6th November 2002
These are two very different sounding units. They only thing they have in common is that they are compressors. Also they are at different price ranges(if I remember the 2044 is almost twice a single Distressor?). If you are going for a first all around unit, then you should look at a Trakker instead. I think it does the emulation thing better than the Distressor and if you need mushy(2044), it does that as well.
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
These are two very different sounding units. They only thing they have in common is that they are compressors. Also they are at different price ranges(if I remember the 2044 is almost twice a single Distressor?). If you are going for a first all around unit, then you should look at a Trakker instead. I think it does the emulation thing better than the Distressor and if you need mushy(2044), it does that as well.

I agree but can you explain what you find mushy about the 2044?
Old 8th November 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

I agree with the assessments of the EL8, and would add that the RNC can get surprisingly dirty in a good way. The RNC is better loved for inexpensively providing good, clean compression, but if you need a clean yet lo-fi smear, it can do that, too. It has no balls, however. But balls don't exist on a $200 comp.

Best results for the smear thing so far have been on drum overheads with a Bernard Purdie type of hip hop beat.
Old 8th November 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by C.Lambrechts

I agree but can you explain what you find mushy about the 2044?

By mushy i mean that it tends to soften the transients some and in turn gives it softer characteristics(or mushy). Where in the past the Vari Mu did stuff to the low mids(the T bar mod is an improvement though, not perfect but an improvement none the less), the 2044 tends to accentuate the bass region.

I had one for about a year. I purchased it so I could soften the transient attacks on background vocal busses in the mixes I was being sent on Pro Tools. This was before people learned the whole -14 level thing(and now is not as big of a problem). It actually worked great for this and it gave the vocals a nice bassy character(followed by a Avalon 2055 EQ gave the bckgrounds a beautiful sound).

It strength is also its weakness, because if the sound has a lot of lowmids/bass it tends to "smuck" it up.tut

Its a one trick pony type. I sold it and replaced it with another opto(the Buzz Audio OCL 1.1), which is a little more versatile.

Its a great looking unit(i think the whole Avalon range is great looking stuff). I think the whole Avalon range(with the exception being the Mastering EQ) has this pillowy characteristic. Right now I think I sold all of my Avalon units(except for the direct box). But I would not hesitate on using it in the right situations.

I hope this answers your question.
Old 9th November 2002
Lives for gear

yes it does .... and thank you .....
Old 9th November 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor

I had one for about a year. I purchased it so I could soften the transient attacks on background vocal busses in the mixes I was being sent on Pro Tools. This was before people learned the whole -14 level thing(and now is not as big of a problem).
I saw Jules refer to the -14 level thing in another post, but I'm not clear on what it refers to.

Is it related to calibrating the converters to -14dB = 0dBFS?

Or does it have something to do with tracking or mizing levels?

Please elaborate.

Thanks!
Old 9th November 2002
Gear Nut

hi

this is my first post here

can anyone point me in the right direction to this post/thread?
i would really like to get the scoop on this.

i'm putting together a PT HD studio here in Puerto Rico
and this is one of my unanswered questions regarding calibration.

great forum BTW

thanks for your help,
CJ
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear