The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any compressor that does not smear transients Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

Any compressor that does not smear transients

Is there Any compressor that does not smear transients. So far I tried the Vari Mu and the Manley slam. they both smeared the transients. It lost the character of the high end. My hihats were smeared away. I like the fullness of the slam but if it did not do the smear thing it would be a winner. Are there any compressors that give you the fullness without smearing the transients
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Compression and/or limiting does just that. It limits or compresses the dynamic range, thus limiting or compressing the impact of highly dynamic sound waves such as transients. Slower attack times will lessen the effects on the transients by allowing some of the initial impact to sneak through before the onset of compression, but I haven't met a comp/limiter yet that hasn't adversely effected dynamic , percussive , or transient rich material. It is a game of give and take.

(Dare I say that compression is not a necessity ?)
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Guru

the 525 comes very close,symetrix.
I'm always looking for same thing .
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

When I tried the Manley Slam there are no Attack controls. It is just a limiter. I really liked the roundness and warmth it gave the sounds but the hithats and highend synth lines where smeared away. I tried to find a happy medium but no luck. what about the cranesong STC-8. they say it is very transparent. will this make the 2bus round and big but less smear on the high end
Old 18th August 2007
Harmless Wacko

GML 8900.

Spend a week or two with the box before you come back on here claiming you know how to run it and it's not working.

Please. I'm begging you.

Maybe even a month.

Best regards,

SM.
Old 18th August 2007

ahhh, the eternal question....

well, for starters,

your ears will NEVER stop their natural compression adjustments....

there's no escape....

Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
the 525 comes very close,symetrix.
I'm always looking for same thing .

symetrix 525?

or api?

cause the api runs on trasients and spits them out the back, behind my gear.
IOW, the API 525 eats transients.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joji View Post
Is there Any compressor that does not smear transients. So far I tried the Vari Mu and the Manley slam. they both smeared the transients. It lost the character of the high end. My hihats were smeared away. I like the fullness of the slam but if it did not do the smear thing it would be a winner. Are there any compressors that give you the fullness without smearing the transients
Have you them in parallel? It's a great way to compete in the loudness wars without completely destroying the transients.
Old 18th August 2007
JB3
Gear Addict

I think likewise with the STC-8 (Cranesong).

Very natural, smooth or sharp, but it takes a while to get to know the box.

Especially how the limiter, which is quite exceptional, works within the framework of the compression effects of the unit. With the STC-8 its especially important that you you remember that the limiter is ALWAYS looking at the end gain stage, is fast, and can tell the compressor to act differently than set.

That said, Michael Wagener (Moderator) had a compressor shootout several years ago (actually a DVD of the results floating around places here on Slutz) including all the compressors discussed here and more. His personal winner for most transparency while compressing and limiting was the STC-8 in that particular shoot-out, and I think he's still using it. I know I'm still using mine.

Here is the Summation of the shoot-out thread:

Production workshop

Hope this helps...

...J
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

It's always possible that you don't like compression.

- c
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

If it's rock I say smear away... gimme transformers, tubes, limiters, tape, saturation....

If you're doing something else, why are you limiting your drum bus anyway?

+1 for parallel compression in your case.
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Nut

i 2nd the parellel compression. great way to give you the tone you want but preserve the transients. just mix the compressed in till taste under the uncompressed........good luck if you are doing it in protools though......
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Head

I recently became hooked on the UAD Neve 33609C for just this reason.
It should be said though that i have limited experience with high end audio equipment so perhaps my tolerances are a little inexperienced.

I just LOVE that comp though.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

another +1 for parallel compression.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
GML 8900.

Spend a week or two with the box before you come back on here claiming you know how to run it and it's not working.
+1

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Guru

atomic squeezebox, another one you gotta spend time with before you're convinced it's not broken.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 27th August 2007
love that box. STILL ALIVE!

innerTUBE AUDIO Crack Team of Employees

still passing signal even if it b.... heh
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

If you prep the transient stuff before running them via Vari-Mu & SLAM
will you get the same result? I always use some kind of transient enhancement plug on my stuff if there is no punch post compressing.

The old **** in **** out syndrome. heh

Otherwise on normal punchy stuff I have no problem with the Vari-Mu
or SLAM loosing the transients, if tweaked okay.

Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

carefull settings of attack/release/ratio ...

try something not tubey ....

weiss ds-1 and the fun of parrallel compression ..... well what a nice bus-compressor you have ....
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

i heard an audio example of the same file going through various compressors and the UAD fairchild seemed to do the least smearing from what i recall.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

If your smashing the crap out of drums with a short attack and long release your guaranteed to get smeared sounds every time, less compression (threshold) , slower attack and a faster release is the key.Also parallel compression is a great tool, smash with one comp and just a tickle with the second comp and blend to taste.

It works for me. Transients are your friend when it comes to drums, let them through a bit, 30 ms is a good attack time for drums. Sometimes I'll even use say a 100ms attack and a 100ms release on my ES8 limiter.

For an example of this have a listen to the "Emotion War" in my eggshell records link below. Was Smart C2 comp paralleled with the ES8. Smashed on the c2 with 30ms attack 100ms rel 3:1 ratio. The es8 was 100 ms attack and 100 ms release with GR meters barely moving, just a tickle. I'm not saying its an awesome track but the drums are quite chunky.

Side chaining is sometimes a great and essential way to get extra low end punch also.

Heathen

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search